Optimism Vs. Christianity

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record the line is this.Matthew C7 V13-14 NLV "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way. But the gateway to life is small, and the road is narrow, and only a few ever find it" So the idea that few are going to heaven is in there.

But don't billions of people accept Jesus?? How could only a few go to heaven?
Acceptance is not enough. We are judged by the life we live. Not many actually doing that part.
:club: Looks like the true nastiness and irrationality of conservativechristianity is being revealed in this thread.
Or, just the reality of the situation. How many people you know live anything close to a christlike existence? Since that is what it takes, that kind of effort, my assumption makes sense. I see where you are coming from. It's the usual liberal midset that would rather be lied and pandered to, but why waste my time? Christ never pulled punches, why would I?
Or, just the reality of the situation. How many people you know live anything close to a christlike existence? Since that is what it takes, that kind of effort, my assumption makes sense.
so the christian god is a prejudiced elitist. thanks for confirming that.
But don't billions of people accept Jesus?? How could only a few go to heaven?
Actually for me its just a question of defining the word "few". Also if the one allogory Jesus makes about heaven is closer to literal than most people like (The first is last, and the last is first) then I could see quite a few Christians having envy over others right there, and if they are judged for that. Well lets just say, not good.
so the christian god is a prejudiced elitist. thanks for confirming that.
I think that statement is a little rediculous. Seems like your reaching and trying to make everything fit into your preconceived notions about christianity. I think if you actually read into what the bible verse is saying, and the guy you quoted, you'll realize that what is being said is that you can't simply say you're a christian, you can't just decide "hey, I'm a christian" and then get into heaven...you have to life your life that way. You have to life your life for Him.
I think that statement is a little rediculous. Seems like your reaching and trying to make everything fit into your preconceived notions about christianity. I think if you actually read into what the bible verse is saying, and the guy you quoted, you'll realize that what is being said is that you can't simply say you're a christian, you can't just decide "hey, I'm a christian" and then get into heaven...you have to life your life that way. You have to life your life for Him.
since the majority of people who ever live will won't have a valid reason to accept the christian god, the fundamentalist christian concept of heaven is by definition exclusionary and elitist.
since the majority of people who ever live will won't have a valid reason to accept the christian god, the fundamentalist christian concept of heaven is by definition exclusionary and elitist.
That's a very valid point. It's one of the reasons I left my church for a long period of time, I tend to have a more liberal(or modernist) view of God and Christianity as a whole. Especially in the south, it's very fundamentalist. It's also the reason why I feel one of the most important thing I can do, as a person of faith, is to let everyone know that God loves them, whether it be a discussion or through music(my true passion in life). I'm not one to force my beliefs on anyone, and so I just try and let people know that God loves them, and if or when they're ready, he's there for them, then they can choose what they believe from there.
I tend to have a more liberal(or modernist) view of God and Christianity as a whole.
unfortunately for humanity, liberal modernist christians, whether they intend to or not, just by calling themselves christians still indirectly lend support to fundamentalist christian anti-intellectual and anti-environmental causes.
unfortunately for humanity, liberal modernist christians, whether they intend to or not, just by calling themselves christians still indirectly lend support to fundamentalist christian anti-intellectual and anti-environmental causes.
As Sluggo would say:1) Why are you insulting the beliefs of others?2) What evidence do you have to support your belief that people who just by calling themselves Christian support anti-intellectual and anti-environmental causes?
What evidence do you have to support your belief that people who just by calling themselves Christian support anti-intellectual and anti-environmental causes?
note that i said indirectly. even liberal christians are enumerated (lumped) as fundamentalists by government agencies, business, lobby etc. also they tend to vote for fundamentalist candidates.
note that i said indirectly. even liberal christians are enumerated (lumped) as fundamentalists by government agencies, business, lobby etc. also they tend to vote for fundamentalist candidates.
On that last statement, considering all you have stat wise is exit polling (which I openly question) what proof do you have for that.What I'm also looking for is a definition of "Anti-intellectual" and "Anti-Enviormental". Its hard for me to look at Christianity as "Anti-intellectual" when America in itself seems to have that view. Its not christians that put up "Anna Nicole Smith" and "Paris Hilton" as role models. Its not just christians that continue to make our history books so sloppy with so many errors (don't get me started on Columbus).On "Anti-Enviormental", I have no clue what you mean, I don't really see anything in the religion that says "Thou shall polute". What actions do christians take that makes them "anti-enviromental"
Lol. So, it's all chritianitys fault. Tell the truth- you're a sock puppet for Rosie ODonnell. That's a whole lotta lovin right there. Good work.