Roger Federer

i found this on youtube yesterday and thought it was so awesome i had to share it. even if you dont like tennis, you will be amazed by what federer does here.

the best part is the clear dejection of roddick after this point. there is no way a person can bounce back from something like that.

I thought it was going to be some between the leg shot, didn't expect that. What an amazing shot. Roddick was cool when he went over and shook Federer's hand, but he kind of drug it on a little too long when he threw his racket over the net. I know he was just messing around but it gets old after awhile.

That was ridiculous. Federer is the best tennis player EVERBetter than Sampras, Agassi, McEnroeThe numbers are, and will continue to prove that

That's why he's one of the top players in the world.Who is that young English kid who beat Roddick a few months back? That kid had amazing positional control as well.
Not "one of". The number one player in the world for 138 consecutive weeks or some crazy shit like that. And the clear #1 too. No disputing it at all.The kid you are thinking of is Andy Murray of Scotland.
I think Sampras could have held his own against Federer. Maybe not winning more than 50%, but when his serve was on he was damn hard to beat.
It's hard to say when they didn't both reach the peak of their game at the same time so never played A game vs A game. However, I tend to disagree solely based on the fact that Pete did not dominate the sport like Federer is currently dominating. He is 3000 some odd points ahead of #2 in the points race. Pete never had a lead like that. Pete never won 7 consecutive Grand slam finals. Roger did.Roger has won 4 consecutive Wimbledon titles tying with Pete. Wimbledon was easily Pete's best slam as it is Roger's. In winning those titles, Roger has dropped only 4 sets. Pete dropped 14 in winning his 4 consecutive. And regarding the consecutive weeks at #1 that I cited earlier. I was close but not correct. Roger has been #1 for 136 consecutive weeks and counting. Pete's longest streak was 102.
Not "one of". The number one player in the world for 138 consecutive weeks or some crazy shit like that. And the clear #1 too. No disputing it at all.The kid you are thinking of is Andy Murray of Scotland.
Scotland, England? It's all Europe right? Thanks btw.I don't follow tennis much, last time I remember seeing Federer ranked he was #2 playing against Roddick, but I definitely take your word for it.
Roddick was cool when he went over and shook Federer's hand, but he kind of drug it on a little too long when he threw his racket over the net. I know he was just messing around but it gets old after awhile.

You idiot.

He threw the racket before he went to give him a handshake.

Him throwing it at the end of the clip was a replay, god dammit.

Do you think he broke the fucking laws of physics and threw it in slow motion?

If you thought that was a live thing going on after he went over and shook his hand, why the fuck would it be in slow motion!?

God dammit.I'm so pissed off right now.

It "gets old after awhile"? Jesus H. It was a 58 second clip, even if it WEREN'T a replay, and he actually threw it again... it got old after 58 seconds?

Oh god, I'm going to burst.

I hated your post so much.

I don't like tennis that much, but I'm going to watch it next time it's on, just so I can spite you.

I don't know how me watching it will spite you, but in my mixed up pissed off head right now it makes sense, so I'm going to do it.

I hate you.

It's hard to say when they didn't both reach the peak of their game at the same time so never played A game vs A game. However, I tend to disagree solely based on the fact that Pete did not dominate the sport like Federer is currently dominating. He is 3000 some odd points ahead of #2 in the points race. Pete never had a lead like that. Pete never won 7 consecutive Grand slam finals. Roger did.Roger has won 4 consecutive Wimbledon titles tying with Pete. Wimbledon was easily Pete's best slam as it is Roger's. In winning those titles, Roger has dropped only 4 sets. Pete dropped 14 in winning his 4 consecutive. And regarding the consecutive weeks at #1 that I cited earlier. I was close but not correct. Roger has been #1 for 136 consecutive weeks and counting. Pete's longest streak was 102.
Perhaps Sampras had better competition than Federer currently faces.
Perhaps Sampras had better competition than Federer currently faces.
I was waiting on someone to make that argument. It's possible. I could argue it either way.Hopefully, Nadal is going to blossom like I think he is and the competition point will be moo.*Edit - If Federer manages to win the French, he will be regarded as the greatest tennis player to grace the game. When Federer wins more slams than Pete did (which he is ahead of the pace to do) he will be regarded as the greatest. So, for now, the competition argument can be made. Soon it won't be an argument.
Can anyone stop Federer? Honestly, other than a worthy Nadal, Federer is untouchable.
Well, Safin beat him in the finals of the Austrailan a couple of years ago but has since had problems with a knee injury. He is the only player in the last 3 years to beat Federer in a GS final besides Nadal. He is also widely regarded in tennis circles as a player with just as much talent as Federer but he tends to be a head case which has kept him from reaching the potential he is purported to have. Putting aside all the mental discipline problems Safin has, he was the last best hope before Nadal. Nadal is now coming around with a nicely developing game on surfaces other than clay and Safin looked pretty close to regaining form in his 3rd round match against Haas of this years US Open. So, I hold out hope that Safin will be back up there next year but other than that, no. Nadal is our only hope for a decent rivalry.
Well, Safin beat him in the finals of the Austrailan a couple of years ago but has since had problems with a knee injury. He is the only player in the last 3 years to beat Federer in a GS final besides Nadal. He is also widely regarded in tennis circles as a player with just as much talent as Federer but he tends to be a head case which has kept him from reaching the potential he is purported to have. Putting aside all the mental discipline problems Safin has, he was the last best hope before Nadal. Nadal is now coming around with a nicely developing game on surfaces other than clay and Safin looked pretty close to regaining form in his 3rd round match against Haas of this years US Open. So, I hold out hope that Safin will be back up there next year but other than that, no. Nadal is our only hope for a decent rivalry.
You think Blake will ever be in that top tier? From what I saw, he gave Federer minimal trouble, other than the 3rd set last night.
You think Blake will ever be in that top tier? From what I saw, he gave Federer minimal trouble, other than the 3rd set last night.
In order for Blake to beat Federer, Blake has to play near error free tennis and Federer has to play pretty sloppy tennis. One of the things that makes Federer great is the fact that he so rarely plays sloppy tennis. Blake's A game vs. Federer's A game is a win to Federer every time. So, when your destiny is not in your own control like that, you're not ever going to consistently win at that level. That's where Blake sits. He has to have a lot of help to beat Federer. Most of the top 10 are in the same situation as Blake.Blake won't ever be a contender for 1 or 2 that I can see. He'll probably peak in the top 5 but will taper off and hover somewhere around 10-12 is what I think. Blake's the #1 American right now but I really look for Roddick to keep playing well and regain that spot relatively quickly.
You idiot.He threw the racket before he went to give him a handshake.Him throwing it at the end of the clip was a replay, god dammit. Do you think he broke the fucking laws of physics and threw it in slow motion? If you thought that was a live thing going on after he went over and shook his hand, why the fuck would it be in slow motion!? God dammit.I'm so pissed off right now. It "gets old after awhile", Jesus H. It was a 58 second clip, even if it WEREN'T a replay, and he actually threw it again, it got old after 58 seconds?Oh god, I'm going to burst.I hated your post so much.I don't like tennis that much, but I'm going to watch it next time it's on, just so I can spite you. I don't know how me watching it will spite you, but in my mixed up pissed off head right now it makes sense, so I'm going to do it.I hate you.
Spademan > Federer
You idiot.He threw the racket before he went to give him a handshake.Him throwing it at the end of the clip was a replay, god dammit. Do you think he broke the fucking laws of physics and threw it in slow motion? If you thought that was a live thing going on after he went over and shook his hand, why the fuck would it be in slow motion!? God dammit.I'm so pissed off right now. It "gets old after awhile", Jesus H. It was a 58 second clip, even if it WEREN'T a replay, and he actually threw it again, it got old after 58 seconds?Oh god, I'm going to burst.I hated your post so much.I don't like tennis that much, but I'm going to watch it next time it's on, just so I can spite you. I don't know how me watching it will spite you, but in my mixed up pissed off head right now it makes sense, so I'm going to do it.I hate you.
2000 points. I don't even care that you don't want them.

i dont know how many people watched the match with blake last night, but i think the body lanugage/verbal language of blake was really telling of how other players feel playing federer. like, when roger hit one of his amazing/routine shots, blake just yells at him "you're too good". it just must really suck playing federer, knowing that when he is on his game there is absolutely nothing you can do.

i dont know how many people watched the match with blake last night, but i think the body lanugage/verbal language of blake was really telling of how other players feel playing federer. like, when roger hit one of his amazing/routine shots, blake just yells at him "you're too good". it just must really suck playing federer, knowing that when he is on his game there is absolutely nothing you can do.
Good point to apply back to our Roger vs. Pete discussion. I don't think Pete was ever that intimidating to his peers.
Good point to apply back to our Roger vs. Pete discussion. I don't think Pete was ever that intimidating to his peers.
i think that one thing pete may have had over roger was the ability to pull out the epic 5-set match. pete won so many of those matches, many when he was injured. Roger has yet to really have a defining classic match. true, he takes care of everybody quick and hasnt had the oppurtunities pete had, but i believe roger has a pretty mediocre record in five set matches.with all that said though, even though i grew up idolizing pete, i would still have to go roger > pete. the shots that roger hits and his level of dominance right now is just freakish.