Since 9/11 Is Fast Approaching...

MSNBC is replaying the coverage from 2001, minute by minute. Incredible how quickly the emotional response comes back and is the same. Feel pretty much exactly like I did that day.
Yeah, I watched the first hour and a half of CNN coverage today too, crazy stuff. I know the timeline, so I was just sitting at my desk watching the clock at the bottom of the screen. Still made my chest burn a little, even though it all happened 5 years ago.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the VHS tape I had of that day and watched a little of it. It's weird. I started taping right after the second plane hit. It really brought back the feelings I had when watching live. Just odd and felt like posting about it.
I have the VHS too. I always kept a blank tape in my VCR from taping different shows. I woke up a couple minutes after the first plane hit and they had no idea what happened. I hit record on the VCR, found out what was happening and right in the middle of the lady on FOX was saying " A plane has flown into the WTC. As of right now we don't know if this was accidental or dileberate." She stopped talking and just started screaming "Oh no no no !! Oh my god" and we saw the second one fly in. Very freaky, I sat there for 3 hours and went to school for half the day. I spent the night with all of my windows open just waiting to see a plane flying that wasn't supposed to be ( and maybe having a few miller lites).
Western Long Island, about 45 minutes from Manhattan
Ahh ok.. I was born and raised in Jersey City and ilve in Kearny now.. the next town over from Jersey City. I don't think people realize how much being in this area and seeing the World Trade Center every single day of your life and then one day it is no longer there affects us..

I was in a boardroom, doing a presentation for the leadership team of the insurance company I worked for in Toronto. Ironically, we were discussing high-level risks (and planes flying into buildings didn't make the list). I'll never forget the look on our President's face (he was American) as his assistant came into the meeting and said something into his ear (the first plan had probably hit and we were still in that "what's going on" phase). The meeting continued and, a short while later, his assistant again came in and said something else. His face just went pale but he let us continue for a few more minutes. When it was his turn to speak he told us (as best as he knew) what had happened and that we all had other things to attend to. Several insurance brokerages had offices high up in both towers and it's quite likely our president knew people who were killed in the towers.I watched the coverage, both on the net and in a tv in our offices for a while. No one was doing any work. Eventually, I just decided to go home. Cops were everywhere in downtown Toronto. I took a cab home (not wanting to get on the subway) and when I got home, just tried to absorb what was going on. That night I walked over to my local pub, looking for some familiarity, some comfort, and a few drinks.I was actually supposed to leave for a conference in Dubai on September 14th. The conference was cancelled.

• 11 months later...

Bump...I was preparing to take my son to kindergarten. I hardly ever turn on the TV in the morning, but for some reason I did that morning, and saw smoke pouring out of one of the towers. They said it appeared to be an accident with a commercial jet, and I thought, that had to be on purpose, those planes can't just fly into buildings (I worked on some FAA software, so I had a good idea how these things work). I was reminded of the Egyptian pilot who intentionally crashed a full plane into the ocean a few years back. So I tried to watch the coverage as long as I could, but I didn't want to make my son late for school, and nobody suspected terrorists in those days. I turned off the TV about 1 minute before the second plane hit, or I never would've left the house that day.As I arrived at my son's school, I heard on the radio that a second plane hit, and I knew it had to be intentional. I tried to explain to a 5-year-old what was going on, but it still made no sense to me, so what could I tell him? Basically, that it appeared some bad people flew airplanes into some buildings. I arrived at work and few people were at their desk. There was a TV in the exercise room, and most people were huddled in there, sitting on mats or exercise equipment watching TV. As the first tower fell, there were a few gasps and sobs breaking the silence, then everyone sat and watched in silence for a long time. After the second tower fell, a few people would wander in and out occasionally, but hardly anyone spoke.Last year, I watched the coverage from start to end on the internet, and it was still shocking. NBC far surpassed anyone else for clear-headed coverage, and should be commended for their clear information on a day when the other networks were grasping for straws.

i was at school...my freshman year...no one was awake on thursday morningmy mom called me after the first plance hit...i ran down to the lounge...no one was there and turned on the tv just to see the second plane hitthen i woke everyone upno one went to class tho

I was at school, but as a teacher. I had an off period that morning, so I was watching tv. When the second plane hit, the station I was watching had a different angle, and it looked to me like an explosion in the same (north) tower. I was talking to a buddy on the phone as he was driving to work. He said the radio said it was a second plane. Of course, that immediately meant that it was terrorism.I knew nobody at my school knew yet, so I went around and told the administration and other teachers. It sucked.It seemed so weird not to have planes in the air the rest of the day. I remember taking a walk that night, looking up and seeing a plane, and thinking, "well, that's a military plane, and we're at war."The hardest thing that I dealt with emotionally was the idea that so many people had to jump to their deaths that day. I can't imagine knowing that you are going to die, and having to choose between burning or jumping. I remember having a casual conversation with my preacher about it, and he really couldn't say anything that helped to make sense of it. Then, on the one year anniversary, I saw an interview with someone from the south tower. After the first plane hit, they were being told to stay in their offices. Then he looked outside and saw the people jumping, and basically said, "F.ck that, let's get the hell outta here". Apparently, many people came to the same conclusion. So I've come to terms with the idea that even though the jumpers met a horrible fate, they saved the lives of many others. May they rest in peace.

Where the fuck was he going to go then, the Pluto formerly known as a planet?
That's gold. I had just came home from work, turned on the news like I always did and there it was. We had just had a baby... a plethora of thoughts were going through my head. It crossed my mind that stocking up on things would be good. So,I went to the and bought a bunch of bottled water,baby food,canned goods,matches, etc. All of the sudden I was a damn survivalist. Being a christian-conservative psycho I already had plenty of guns, but you can never have enough ammo. So, a thousand dollars later I felt ready for....who knows. It struck me as odd that at the store,everyone else seemed completely oblivious,just going about there day,trying to sneak 20 items into the 15 item line, normal stuff. Maybe I over reacted. That's alright..next time, I will react the same way.