Pretty sad to see that guy go out like that. All the crazy **** hes done he was done in by something that hasnt killed a human in Australia since 1945. I went through a period where i watched the show all the time. He seemed like a real cool guy. Feel sorry for his kids who will grow up without a father. My favorite episode was when he chased down a black mamba than grabbed it and explained to the camrea about the worlds dealiest snake while the thing was trying to kill him. RIP Steve Irwin.

I loved his shows and he died doing what he loved. But, it has to be said that you play with fire eventually you'll get burned.
Yeah...but in this scenerio...didn't he just play with fire...and...get struck by lightning? I mean...he died of a freak accident, not from something he has been doing for the past decade or so. If he died from a gator mauling, then yes...that phrase would have been spot on.
Yeah...but in this scenerio...didn't he just play with fire...and...get struck by lightning? I mean...he died of a freak accident, not from something he has been doing for the past decade or so. If he died from a gator mauling, then yes...that phrase would have been spot on.
True...but when was the last time you swam with sting rays that they said can be up to 7' long and weight over 200 pounds? When there is the good possibility of great bodily harm, I don't consider it a freak accident. Either way, he'll be missed.
I don't consider it a freak accident. Either way, he'll be missed.
I believe he was the first person to have died from a stingray in Austrailia since 1945. (I've heard that from a different topic, and maybe the news)If that isn't a freak accident...I don't know what is.But yes, RIP Steve
I believe he was the first person to have died from a stingray in Austrailia since 1945. (I've heard that from a different topic, and maybe the news)If that isn't a freak accident...I don't know what is.But yes, RIP Steve
I see a freak accident as being hit by a bus, or getting struck by lightening. If a boxer gets killed from a shot to the head, I think it is a freak occurance, but they put themselves in that situation where it could happen.Was it a freak occurance...sure. But he put himself in the environment where it COULD happen. Steve has been doing that for years, putting himself in situations where he could be seriously hurt or killed.

I read today that some tv execs were thinking of showing the actual footage of the stingray stinging him on tv. That would not have been cool or a good idea and i am glad that they decided against that.

I read today that some tv execs were thinking of showing the actual footage of the stingray stinging him on tv. That would not have been cool or a good idea and i am glad that they decided against that.
I'm sure somebody will sell the video and it will appear on Hard Copy or a show like that. Sad, but I bet we will all soon see it.
True...but when was the last time you swam with sting rays that they said can be up to 7' long and weight over 200 pounds? When there is the good possibility of great bodily harm, I don't consider it a freak accident. Either way, he'll be missed.
He knew what he was doing. He knew the risks involved in what he did. And of all the things he has done over the years this had the least risk involved. Regardless of what you think is a freak accident or not, this is one. There is very very little risk of injury. Its more dangerous to drive your car to work.You might not be aware of all the work hes put into helping animals. He set up animal hospitals everywhere that help protect and look after Australias native animals, costing him hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep going every year. He was a great person who would give his life to help any animal, big or small. Hope his family continue to keep everything going he put so much into going.RIP
He knew what he was doing. He knew the risks involved in what he did. And of all the things he has done over the years this had the least risk involved. Regardless of what you think is a freak accident or not, this is one. There is very very little risk of injury. Its more dangerous to drive your car to work.You might not be aware of all the work hes put into helping animals. He set up animal hospitals everywhere that help protect and look after Australias native animals, costing him hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep going every year. He was a great person who would give his life to help any animal, big or small. Hope his family continue to keep everything going he put so much into going.RIP
Never said Steve was a bad guy, he seemed like a guy who loved what he did and loved to educate and entertain. I simply said that in his line of work, he is put in potentially dangerous or deadly situations more than your or I. When in those situations, you are more prone to being injured or killed.

Of course Steve did a lot for animals. One of the most important things he did besides raise money for hospitals, was educate people why we should care about saving them? Yes, he was entertaining, but teaching at the same time.