Posted This In Tourney Strat, But I Need Some Feedback Now

Hey everyone - I'm playing in my second decent sized tourney tomorrow but the structure is kinda crapshooty...I wanted to get some ideas on how to survive and get some feedback on how to play it.I start with 2000 in chips, blinds double every 30 minutes. 2525-2525-5050-100100-200300-600and so on and so forth. I think antes kick in at the 500-1000 level. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to play it. I don't think I can play much small ball poker with the blinds shooting up the way they are. But any advice would be much appreciated!Thanks

Hey everyone - I'm playing in my second decent sized tourney tomorrow but the structure is kinda crapshooty...I wanted to get some ideas on how to survive and get some feedback on how to play it.I start with 2000 in chips, blinds double every 30 minutes. 2525-2525-5050-100100-200300-600and so on and so forth. I think antes kick in at the 500-1000 level. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to play it. I don't think I can play much small ball poker with the blinds shooting up the way they are. But any advice would be much appreciated!Thanks
Pray you get a hand in the first 2-4 levels and hope it holds up. Good luck in the crapshoot, may I wish you all the luck in the world becuase you'll need it.
Hey everyone - I don't think I can play much small ball poker with the blinds shooting up the way they are. But any advice would be much appreciated!Thanks
You have to gamble in the beginning and there will be alot of maniacs in there with you. When you are up against a bully that's when you have to call, even if you don't have the nuts. Keep calling the bully and you will win eventually, because the bully's and maniacs are always playing too many hands. If you survive the crapshoot in the beginning you could be the chip leader. Play 80% of your hands on average. It's working for me, because all the donks have read the books and are playing to tight out of the gate.
That's not all that bad.
I know it's not terrible terrible...believe me, I've played much much worse. (10 minute levels, and by the third level average stacks have an M of 3) But, what sort of strat should I implement here? Do you think I have room to play small ball poker?
Depends on your table.If they're crazy, wait for a hand.If they're tight, take it over with limps/raises/plays.Pretty generic, but it works.I'd want some chips before 300/600 though.
that was my thinking...I was thinking that by 300/600 I'd want to be sitting with around 15,000 in chips. Which I think is doable. Thanks Spademan...

The structure is actually pretty good. If you're good at reading weakness and decent in post flop play, I'd say go for the small ball approach. Always attack the limpers. Identify the calling stations and avoid them. Seek out those tight passive ones and bully them.Good luck.

You have to gamble in the beginning and there will be alot of maniacs in there with you. When you are up against a bully that's when you have to call, even if you don't have the nuts. Keep calling the bully and you will win eventually, because the bully's and maniacs are always playing too many hands. If you survive the crapshoot in the beginning you could be the chip leader. Play 80% of your hands on average. It's working for me, because all the donks have read the books and are playing to tight out of the gate.
Terrible strategy, IMHO.
The structure is actually pretty good. If you're good at reading weakness and decent in post flop play, I'd say go for the small ball approach. Always attack the limpers. Identify the calling stations and avoid them. Seek out those tight passive ones and bully them.Good luck.
Actually, I believe my post flop play is very good, so I guess I can go for the small ball approach
Terrible strategy, IMHO.
I agree 100%
that was my thinking...I was thinking that by 300/600 I'd want to be sitting with around 15,000 in chips. Which I think is doable. Thanks Spademan...
Eh, it's a bad structure. If you're not careful you'll be short-stacked the whole tourney. I just go into the tourney thinking, "yeah I may be out in the first 7 minutes."

This structure is not terrible at all. Bad structures are 5 or 10 minute levels. 30 minutes or longer is fine in my book. Play your position - don't try to steal until the blinds are worth the effort. Pick up the small pots nobody wants.The usual mumbo jumbo.I'd also open up your game a little while the blinds allow it.In any case, good luck. I'll be playing in a few of the events at the CA poker championships at Commerce this month, so wish me luck too :club:- Crash

Yeah, that structure's pretty good for a tourney with a 2k starting stack. The weekly tourneys at Windsor start with 2k and have 20 minute structures that go 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400 etc.

If you win, do you get her?
I don't think I want her...there are hundreds of women nine times better looking than her just walking down the street. I'll tell you what though, if I do win, I'm taking my 30k, cashing it all out in hundreds, take a picture of it and send it to my ex-gf saying, "you could have shared in all this" and then hiring the best hooker in San Diego (which is easy enough, all I have to do is go downtown, you can tell who they are because It's every woman in San Diego) and having sex on top of all those bills....That's my dream. Then quit this stupid hotel job and work in radio and enjoy life as a semi-pro poker player to supplement my income.
more like TSP/MJETGMT(Turn Semi-pro/make just enough to get me through)
Is that after the hooker knocks you out with a pipe wrench and steals all that money? :club: