Just wondering what, if any, religious music you guys listen to.I'm not a huge fan of conventional religious music, however, I do listen to a lot of music made by religious(mainly christian) musicians or have religious influences. If any of you are into harder music, and haven't heard of these bands, you should check out:mewithoutYou (www.mewithoutyou.com www.myspace.com/mewithoutyou www.purevolume.com/mewithoutyou)Norma Jean (www.myspace.com/normajean)the chariot ( I believe its www.myspace.com/thechariot)underoath (www.myspace.com/underoath ... not a huge fan, but its still alright)

I could be way off on your avatar, but I can tell you already enjoy Project 86, or you wouldn't be posting this topic. :Psome of my personal favorites:http://www.stavesacre.com (second best concert i've ever been to, first one being project 86)http://www.blindsideonline.comhttp://www.disciplerocks.comhttp://www.demonhunter.neton a side note, conventional religious music is boring to me as well.

if you're including pseudo-religious music, evanescence
eh...this is a band that i think pretended to have ties but really didnt have any. I am pretty sure they were pulled from christian stores. A better band is POD anyways
eh...this is a band that i think pretended to have ties but really didnt have any. I am pretty sure they were pulled from christian stores.
i think the band itself put out the message that they wanted to distance themselves from being perceived as religious, which is why fallen was pulled from christian stores. but amy lee is definitely a christian and fallen certainly has a few religious/spiritual-themed songs.POD is ok. in the '80s i used to listen to stryper just for a distraction from the usual queensryche/yngwie malmsteen-type '80s-style goth metal i was into. not sure what they've done lately.
eh...this is a band that i think pretended to have ties but really didnt have any. I am pretty sure they were pulled from christian stores. A better band is POD anyways
i still listen to P.O.D. However, they've gone downhill with their new album IMO.
I was just using POD as an example..there are some good bands out there that are christian but that youw ould have trouble believing they were if u heard them
true. i took a lot of flack from my church/parents/etc. because of the music i listened to.i had one girl in my youth group stand right in front of me and make this rationalization for why Project 86/P.O.D. type bands, no matter what they proclaimed in their lyrics, were not Christian:"Well, if I can't understand the lyrics, they're not Christian lyrics." :club:
i think the band itself put out the message that they wanted to distance themselves from being perceived as religious, which is why fallen was pulled from christian stores. but amy lee is definitely a christian and fallen certainly has a few religious/spiritual-themed songs.
i wish i still had that interview with evanescence from a magazine. Matt's right though. They claimed spiritual ties and Christian themed music, and Wind-Up billed them as such, and also put them out on the secular market, a-la 12 Stones. When they started blowing up big, they completely cut themselves off of the Christianity thing that they got billed as to start and went completely secular.But I do agree, I see a lot of spiritual undertones in their first CD. But you can also find that in aspects of Linkin Park's music, and they're a fully secular band.
true. i took a lot of flack from my church/parents/etc. because of the music i listened to.i had one girl in my youth group stand right in front of me and make this rationalization for why Project 86/P.O.D. type bands, no matter what they proclaimed in their lyrics, were not Christian:"Well, if I can't understand the lyrics, they're not Christian lyrics." :club:
That's really funny. It reminds me of this time I wasn't able to go to church, but I told my mom I'd drop my brother and sister off there anyways. So, I'm listening to Norma Jean in my car(and I generally listen to music really loud in my car) and as we're pulling up to the church my sister taps me on the shoulder and says "turn that down! we're at church" I said "It's a christian band!" Then she says "well they can't tell that" :D Needless to say, I didn't turn it down.
  • 3 weeks later...

Mutemath and Project 86. Hanguk what's your favorite Project album? I think most say Drawing black lines...i go with T.H. though. I so badly want to see them in concert. I dont think they get outside CA much for tours, do they?

One of my favorite songs is Flood by Jars of Clay. I am not into Christian music but there are songs with a spiritual tone that have become my favorites. I Love Everbodys 1 by Gold Child. (Never heard of it? Check my MySpace Profile... it is the video that I have on my page right now.) Also, the song that plays when you first go on my My Space page is Love Is Stronger Than Death by the The. Again, a spiritual theme that is universal in nature (any religion could get something out of it.) Matt Johnson plays with spiritual themes on many of his albums, sometimes it is controversial like Armagedon Days Are Here Again and other times, his songs are quiet and sweet when he sings about his connection to God.