****//--official Florida Marlins Thread--\\****

I thought i created this a long time ago but it's time to start it up again. 9 in a row and 1.5 out of the wild card as of this moment. can i get some excitement up in here.pre-season predictions were that we would lose 100+, and now we're talking about the wild card?Josh Johnson, Rookie of the Year, Cy Young.Joe Girardi, manager of the year.Now these would both come to fruition if we finish .500 or better.If we finish at .500, give it two years, the Mets will be our toys.

Johnson won't have enough starts for Cy in my mind. They have a nice team but they will fall short. Go Phillies.and Koop has a point.

Put the Marlins in the AL and then don't win 65 games.
put the Royals in the Pacific League and they dont win 65 games. Zing!15 million dollars, 1 game under .500.The Marlins front office should all get big shiny medals.

They are really making a mistake if they get rid of Giradi. He knows a lot about the game and should probablly win Manager of the Year.

put the Royals in the Pacific League and they dont win 65 games. Zing!15 million dollars, 1 game under .500.The Marlins front office should all get big shiny medals.
I wasn't making a joke. Seriously..put the Marlins in the AL and they struggle to win 65 games. It is a fact.....the only reason the Marlins are anywhere near .500 is only because the NL is so incredibly weak this year. Yeah, nice job on a low payroll of getting talent, no one is denying that....but they aren't a very good team...they are just playing a lot of other pretty bad teams. There is only one good team in the NL, and that is the Mets..and even they aren't THAT good...I'm not sure if they'd make the playoffs in any division in the AL..maybe the West. Maybe. Every other NL team is mediocre at best.
I wasn't making a joke. Seriously..put the Marlins in the AL and they struggle to win 65 games. It is a fact.....the only reason the Marlins are anywhere near .500 is only because the NL is so incredibly weak this year. Yeah, nice job on a low payroll of getting talent, no one is denying that....but they aren't a very good team...they are just playing a lot of other pretty bad teams. There is only one good team in the NL, and that is the Mets..and even they aren't THAT good...I'm not sure if they'd make the playoffs in any division in the AL..maybe the West. Maybe. Every other NL team is mediocre at best.
yeah I know your right (although I would say 70 wins for sure). and the potshot about the royals was low. (I merely feel bad for their fans at this point.) By the way koop, did you see the thing where the two radio hosts were denied their press passes for making comments about the team? One of them is my fiance's brother....he is always ripping them. Just great.In all seriousness though, what the Marlins are able to accomplish in their fire sales is astonishing....their farm system is loaded even beyond the 7-8 rookies having good years for them this year. If you go back and look at the trades they made last offseason it would appear they got the better deal in every case even the Beckett trade.
yeah I know your right (although I would say 70 wins for sure). and the potshot about the royals was low. (I merely feel bad for their fans at this point.) By the way koop, did you see the thing where the two radio hosts were denied their press passes for making comments about the team? One of them is my fiance's brother....he is always ripping them. Just great.In all seriousness though, what the Marlins are able to accomplish in their fire sales is astonishing....their farm system is loaded even beyond the 7-8 rookies having good years for them this year. If you go back and look at the trades they made last offseason it would appear they got the better deal in every case even the Beckett trade.
You feel sorry for KC fans?? Well..apparently you aren't paying attention too well. We are well on our way up. We have a load of prospects on the way..both offensive and pitching. Just wait.
You feel sorry for KC fans?? Well..apparently you aren't paying attention too well. We are well on our way up. We have a load of prospects on the way..both offensive and pitching. Just wait.
I hope you are right. In sports things begin with the owner. The owner of the Royals sucks. That is a lot to overcome. Good luck.
I hope you are right. In sports things begin with the owner. The owner of the Royals sucks. That is a lot to overcome. Good luck.
Our owner has been putting a lot more money into the team the past two years..and payroll/budget will be increasing next year as well..and we actually have a competent GM now. I'm not saying the Royals are a model franchise now..just saying we are a lot better now. If we were in the NL we'd be a 75 or so win team and everyone would be raving about our "bright future" with a lot of young players on the way..but since we're in the AL, no one notices because we have to play the ChiSox all the time. Not complaining, just pointing out the facts. I am rooting for the Marlins to make the playoffs, I hope they do well.
Our owner has been putting a lot more money into the team the past two years..and payroll/budget will be increasing next year as well..and we actually have a competent GM now. I'm not saying the Royals are a model franchise now..just saying we are a lot better now. If we were in the NL we'd be a 75 or so win team and everyone would be raving about our "bright future" with a lot of young players on the way..but since we're in the AL, no one notices because we have to play the ChiSox all the time. Not complaining, just pointing out the facts. I am rooting for the Marlins to make the playoffs, I hope they do well.
yeah....who would have thought 5 years ago we would be talking about the dominant AL Central? Sports is funny sometimes. I thought Allard Baird got a bum rap in KC. But the new guy seems likea nice fit.The Royals have been willing to spend more money lately but it has been stupid money....overpaying for guys no one else really wanted. The royals have to forget free agency exists and find a different blueprint. Let the kids play and figure out which ones have it and which dont.I would also argue that the Marlins have replaced the A's as the "model" small market team. I understand that the NL is subpar....but the left side of the Yankees infield makes 25 million dollars more than the whole marlins roster. The scouting dept. for the Marlins is amazing at both finding good arms/good talent and also evaluating honestly how much their own guys have left in the tank. (it is a crime how much they got back for luis castillo and juan pierre who are both basically done)They also came to the realization that Beckett might never be what he should be and they got a king's ransom back for him. Hanley Ramirez has been great and Anibal Sanchez is definitely a legit #2 starter down the line. Very impressive stuff.
yeah....who would have thought 5 years ago we would be talking about the dominant AL Central? Sports is funny sometimes. I thought Allard Baird got a bum rap in KC. But the new guy seems likea nice fit.The Royals have been willing to spend more money lately but it has been stupid money....overpaying for guys no one else really wanted. The royals have to forget free agency exists and find a different blueprint. Let the kids play and figure out which ones have it and which dont.I would also argue that the Marlins have replaced the A's as the "model" small market team. I understand that the NL is subpar....but the left side of the Yankees infield makes 25 million dollars more than the whole marlins roster. The scouting dept. for the Marlins is amazing at both finding good arms/good talent and also evaluating honestly how much their own guys have left in the tank. (it is a crime how much they got back for luis castillo and juan pierre who are both basically done)They also came to the realization that Beckett might never be what he should be and they got a king's ransom back for him. Hanley Ramirez has been great and Anibal Sanchez is definitely a legit #2 starter down the line. Very impressive stuff.
Wrong. Yeah, we spent money on "guys no one really wanted," but then what have we done with most of those guys?? Oh yeah, we traded most of them for pitching prospects. We have picked up about 10 pitchers just from dealing those guys you are talking about.....some of them with KC now (Odalis Perez, Jorge De La Rosa) and some that are pretty highly touted pitching prospects (Tyler Lumsden). That's why we picked them up, and it worked. Our pitching depth has been VASTLY improved in just two months thanks to these trades. That was the point. We aren't relying on free agency, you need to look a little closer at what is happening. We signed those guys and then traded just about all of them for pitching potential. That is how we acquired a lot of our prospects. That's where our extra money is going, not into signing "old guys no body wants."
Wrong. Yeah, we spent money on "guys no one really wanted," but then what have we done with most of those guys?? Oh yeah, we traded most of them for pitching prospects. We have picked up about 10 pitchers just from dealing those guys you are talking about.....some of them with KC now (Odalis Perez, Jorge De La Rosa) and some that are pretty highly touted pitching prospects (Tyler Lumsden). That's why we picked them up, and it worked. Our pitching depth has been VASTLY improved in just two months thanks to these trades. That was the point. We aren't relying on free agency, you need to look a little closer at what is happening. We signed those guys and then traded just about all of them for pitching potential. That is how we acquired a lot of our prospects. That's where our extra money is going, not into signing "old guys no body wants."
ok so you are basically saying they wised up and are starting fresh within the last two months. I am not exactly up to date on the Royals. If what you say is true then perhaps this franchise has finally turned the corner. i hope so their fans deserve better.
ok so you are basically saying they wised up and are starting fresh within the last two months. I am not exactly up to date on the Royals. If what you say is true then perhaps this franchise has finally turned the corner. i hope so their fans deserve better.
Well, since we got our new GM things have gotten MUCH better, but I said it in the offseason the very minute we signed so many veterans that the point was going to be to trade as many of them as possible for pitching potential as we can, and that is exactly what has happened. Thus, I will say that we have "turned the corner" starting at the beginning of this year. We have been playing pretty solid baseball with our current team for 3 months now and have a LOT of help on the way on both sided..pitching and offense. Thus, we are getting better, it's a fact. I'm not saying we're winning the division next year, but I think we'll be much much better in terms of our record.

I'm with you CaneBrain, the Marlins organization should be raking in the awards this year. The only thing that will leave a sour taste in my mouth is when Loria fires Girardi. The spirit he has fired up in this team is amazing and its a shame that the ego-maniac owner has to do away with something great. Koop, be excited for the Royals. With all those young arms they picked up, I predict in two to four years, as I do with the Marlins, they are close to unbeatable, Detroit style.

I'm with you CaneBrain, the Marlins organization should be raking in the awards this year. The only thing that will leave a sour taste in my mouth is when Loria fires Girardi. The spirit he has fired up in this team is amazing and its a shame that the ego-maniac owner has to do away with something great. Koop, be excited for the Royals. With all those young arms they picked up, I predict in two to four years, as I do with the Marlins, they are close to unbeatable, Detroit style.
Detroit is not close to being unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

Marlins strike again! congratulations Anibal Sanchez on throwing a no-hitter!!So let's break this down for the Red Sox fans:Red Sox get:Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell (and his albatross contract)Marlins get:Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez (and another minor league pitcher I believe)Wonder who won that deal??? :club::D

Marlins strike again! congratulations Anibal Sanchez on throwing a no-hitter!!So let's break this down for the Red Sox fans:Red Sox get:Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell (and his albatross contract)Marlins get:Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez (and another minor league pitcher I believe)Wonder who won that deal??? :club::D
Is posting the same thing twice necessary?