Daniel And Little Matt On Wsop Tonight

the person who hit you, were they speeding excessively? why would an SUV erupt like that unless someone was really breaking some traffic laws.when i saw the segment my heart hurt so bad.there is no god, i am an atheist again.
I am sorry you feel that way but it better not be because of my son. First an SUV hit our small sedan. According to Police, no violations, just bad judgment.Second. If it were not for God, there would be no story. With all the surrounding circumstances, you would believe again.The reason I did not want to do this, my only reservation about the ESPN spot, was that people would see the burns and be sad. We thank each of you; however, please save your sorrow. Look at it this way. The car burst into flames. The damage done was not more than 3 minutes from impact to extraction. That day can play out one of two ways....First case senerio..... My family sustains injuries... to their extent we now know.Second case senerio.... My family dies. My wife. My daughter. My two sons.As self-centered as it may sound... I would rather deal with the injuries and have to ability to make memories with my children (LIKE MY SON MEETING AND HANGING OUT WITH HIS FAVORITE POKER PLAYER DN), than to make memories of my trips to their gravesites.We are "glass is half full people"

I think I see a real hero, here. Daniel stepped up, good on him, many are called and few serve. But, I think Matts Dad, and Matt, are heros. They live with this every day, 24/7/365.I don't see either of them looking for sympathy, or asking for anything other than letting Matt be a little boy, something we all lose too early.Keep on keeping on, Matts Dad, tell Matt hello from California. He has fans, ya know, and so do you.

Wow. That's pretty harsh. I think Lou's point was that it shouldn't be just people who are in healthcare who are aware of it everyday. All of us need to make it a point to be aware of it everyday and do what we can to help.
not harsh at all, he said it perfectly.

Didn't see it, but it sounds cool. I use to get down on myself because my life wasn't going well, then it would always hit me that people had it WAY worse then me. The ironic thing is, is that I would still turn that into a "me" thing and say "why am I so selfish that I complain about my little things?"There is a God, sometimes he works in mysterious ways.

not harsh at all, he said it perfectly.
I disagree. Please refer to Lou's second post in this thread. Her comments were not even directed at him and he chose to go on an "excuse the f out of me" tirade. That is not what this whole thread is supposed to be about. It was started as a tribute to the class DN shows by thinking about others. Mention was made of the fact that his mom must have done something right. Looks like Little Matt's fighting spirit and optimism are also family traits !
I disagree. Please refer to Lou's second post in this thread. Her comments were not even directed at him and he chose to go on an "excuse the f out of me" tirade. That is not what this whole thread is supposed to be about. It was started as a tribute to the class DN shows by thinking about others. Mention was made of the fact that his mom must have done something right. Looks like Little Matt's fighting spirit and optimism are also family traits !
im referring to lous original post...it was not needed and i dont know why he posted it...just my opinion, i dont want to start an argument in this thread.good day. :club:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=57904993He is a really great kid. He linked to me on myspace when he saw me on DN's page and introduced himself. If you have a myspace page, link to him. He'll love it.
done... Thanks Idaho... Matt rules!
The reason I went on the "excuse...tirade" is because I realize there are a myriad of horrors in the world. But if I, or anyone sought out to try and right every wrong in this world they would be one used up, frustrated s.o.b. Frankly, I was offended that llou felt it necessary to express a rather sanctimonious view to those who posted their thoughts, appreciation, and kind words concerning that extraordinary young man and the well done espn piece. The insinuation of the tone chosen in llou's response was that of "you see something on tv so you suddenly care" self-righteousness that pisses me off to no end. Look, I'm a fairly decent guy, I help out when I'm able, so no one should place themselves in a morally superior stance and presume to condescend to me about their perceived sense of it. /discussionNow, back to the topic at hand. DN's actions regarding this young man make me proud to be affiliated, albeit loosely, with him and his whole undertaking here at FCP and should, ever, an opportunity akin to that situation arise in my life I sincerely hope I will acquit myself half as well as DN.
Everybody on this thread is truly correct... even brvheart as twisted as that may sound. But we do not have to be harsh (i think you all call it flame). What you saw tonight was just the tip of the iceberg for what DN did for Little Matt. This past summer Little Matt had to go to California for doctor appointments. DN when he found out just simply said, if you can make it we can hang out.When we headed west, Little Matt and I crashed the promotion by FCP for the Hockey weekend...again guys thanks, all the winners were very gracious. Doctors...blah blah blah...time to head home...again we show up and hang out with DN, of course he was working, but Little Matt wanted to watch DN in the WSOP for his birthday, and Daniel got him "back stage" passes to get a little closer. He had to get permissions and everything from the state gaming commission.ESPN did a terrific job, truly amazing and compassionate.DN is a class act.People do take some things for granted...even I do.But the biggest thing everybody should know about DN, from my perspective, is that it is genuine. Their first meeting was during whale watching trip. During the "hockey" promotion, they talked hockey. At DN's house, they played golf and basketball on DN's arcade games. They threw footballs. He joked he would coach Little Matt in the WSOP in 6 to 7 years, but they have never talked or played poker. He has befriended his biggest fan and has found my son.I am sure the poker playing will come in the future???? But I think Little Matt found a friend, something he can do anything with and DN makes sure he keeps it real. DN beat him in the arcade games, he doesn't let him win, he makes him play.BRAVO TO DN, FCP, ESPN, and people concerned enough to comment about my son.
I meant no disrespect. People that know me, will know this. I apologize... and I think your son is totally awesome.
I meant no disrespect. People that know me, will know this. I apologize... and I think your son is totally awesome.
Sir, I did not take offense. We believe that it is not the intention of anyone to utter malice; therefore, we do not take it as such.Do not take this personally, people do say some wild stuff and what you said was not new, but it was very mil, which leads me to believe the following: Most of the problem about describing Little Matt's "condition" is that people do not have the experiences to accomodate such differences. ...Listen we are all different in some ways.... for those of you looking for some politically correct crap...but look around, how many people do you know that have the afflictions such as Little Matt....There should be no apology...none is needed. I have no ill will, and I know Little Matt would have no ill will towards you for saying that to his face. In fact, the last time it was said "man did you get burnt"...he simply replied.... "yes, don't play with matches." (did not happen playing with matches...was a young kid that was talking to him...thought he was Smokey the Bear or something)The Excellent spot on ESPN featuring DN and my son is an experience for all those that will watch it. Hopefully, as experiences should, something is learned and used later. Not saying you need to "learn" something, because your conscience told you to apologize...see it isn't malice... it is inexperience.So for the rest of the readers...leave brvheart alone... he is only human. It is not like you didn't think it. lol
You're probably going to flame me for this, but .... I have a question for all you "civilians" who don't regularly deal with people with health problems. Are you really surprised or are your attitudes and behavior really affected by such a story?I've spent my whole life (even as a child) involved in health care and my adult career in pediatrics and newborn intensive care. For me, an awareness that many children face enormous challenges with more grace and dignity than the average adult handles a minor inconvenience is "old news." It's something I see every day -- and perhaps take for granted. Do the rest of you really go around all day unaware that you are lucky not to have serious challenges in your life? Are you really unaware that many people have challenges far greater than yours? Do you really never (or rarely) think about those people less fortunate than yourselves?It seems to me that many people see a story like the one on ESPN tonight and suddenly become aware that there are people in the world who have challenges more serious than a few bad beats on the river. It's the "suddenly become aware" part that amazes me. Why does it take a TV story to wake people up? Could you please explain that?Finally ... I thought the ESPN story about Little Matt and Daniel was exceptionally well done for all the same reasons others have said. Having seen many such stories over the years, I think this one was one of the best and I am happy to see poker (and Daniel) being portrayed in such a positive way.Congratulations to Matt, his family, Daniel, and ESPN for reporting the story so wonderfully!llou
Everybody on this thread is truly correct... even brvheart as twisted as that may sound. But we do not have to be harsh (i think you all call it flame). ---Snip---BRAVO TO DN, FCP, ESPN, and people concerned enough to comment about my son.
You have an amazing son, sir.It's a sad reality in this world that sometimes horrific things happen to people who deserve them the least; that you(your family) and your son have been able to find some light in this is amazing and an obvious testament to the strength you have as a family.Best of luck to the both of you in the future.
I hope you all get to see the WSOP episode tonight with Daniel spending a day with a 14 year old burn victim who idolized Daniel. It sure makes one pause and get a little perspective on things. I am a fortunate guy in my life, and with my family and friends, so whining about my boat over boat loss in the Gold Strike early bird tourney last Saturday is not going to happen today, at least. ESPN did a great job telling the story and it makes me proud to be a little part of this by being a loyal Forum reader and supporter of Daniel and his role as a leading ambassador for the game. Well done, Daniel. :club:
Well said sir. Took the words right out of my mouth.Little Matt is a truely inspiring kid. Like Daniel and some other people have said, it really puts things in perspective.

Good stuff all around.To Little Matt: Keep fighting the good fight. You are a courages little man. Keep being an inspiration to all that come into contact with you.To DN: I really appreciate the way in which you conduct yourself on and off the tables. You do take some abuse on this board from individuals, being a celeb makes you a target. Yet you shrug that off and keep being the grounded likeable character that most on this board really appreciate.We all have our individual crosses to bear in this world. Some are obvious and on the surface. Others hidden from view yet just as painful at times. Poker to me is a diversion from the struggles of daily life, I'll be a bit more mindful of that next time I am humbled by a 2 outer on the river....it could be worse but I am going to work on making it better.

Little Matt blew by me on the go kart track - the extra 100 pounds I'm carrying over him probably had something to do with that. He also busted me slow playing a straight in the poker tournament at Daniel's place on his way to a second place finish. The kid is hard to read :club: Congrats on making it to ESPN - probably the only one in your school to do that.I don't know if our paths will cross again in the future but rest assured you and your dad left my wife and I with a very positive impression. Approaching life with a glass half full attitude and making the most of every moment is the way to go.

Sir, I did not take offense. We believe that it is not the intention of anyone to utter malice; therefore, we do not take it as such.Do not take this personally, people do say some wild stuff and what you said was not new, but it was very mil, which leads me to believe the following: Most of the problem about describing Little Matt's "condition" is that people do not have the experiences to accomodate such differences. ...Listen we are all different in some ways.... for those of you looking for some politically correct crap...but look around, how many people do you know that have the afflictions such as Little Matt....There should be no apology...none is needed. I have no ill will, and I know Little Matt would have no ill will towards you for saying that to his face. In fact, the last time it was said "man did you get burnt"...he simply replied.... "yes, don't play with matches." (did not happen playing with matches...was a young kid that was talking to him...thought he was Smokey the Bear or something)The Excellent spot on ESPN featuring DN and my son is an experience for all those that will watch it. Hopefully, as experiences should, something is learned and used later. Not saying you need to "learn" something, because your conscience told you to apologize...see it isn't malice... it is inexperience.So for the rest of the readers...leave brvheart alone... he is only human. It is not like you didn't think it. lol
You are your son are awesome people. You seem to have a level of enlightnenment few people atain. You have my admiration and respect. People could learn alot from you and your son. Also, now that its been confirmed I will comment on it. I couldnt tell because espn edits thing to look a certain way. But it did seem that DN really was genuine. Now that Little Matts dad has confirmed it, I have a great respect for DN also.He didnt just visit for 5 minutes and sign an autograph like many celebs would. He took much time out of his shecdule and actully bonded with Little Matt and built a relationship. I never was a DN lover, nor a hater. I was neutral because I dont know him, and I am not going to judge a person based on what I see on heavily edited television.But stuff like this is what counts. I have gained a great deal of respect of all the people involved, Little Matt, his family, and DN.I wish there were more stories about this stuff because this is what its all about.

Have this TIVO'd and can't wait to see it.Some of you also need to take a chill pill. If this story stir's anyones emotions, whether it be just for the moment or a for life time, then that is a good thing anyway you slice it.I have spent various amounts of time with Daniel on several ocasions now and he has always been the genuine article. He is truly one of the good guys.Best to Little Matt and his family. Enjoy your time in the spotlight! :club:

Little Matt blew by me on the go kart track - the extra 100 pounds I'm carrying over him probably had something to do with that. He also busted me slow playing a straight in the poker tournament at Daniel's place on his way to a second place finish. The kid is hard to read :club: Congrats on making it to ESPN - probably the only one in your school to do that.I don't know if our paths will cross again in the future but rest assured you and your dad left my wife and I with a very positive impression. Approaching life with a glass half full attitude and making the most of every moment is the way to go.
The kid is hard to read, that is why he can slow play a straight. According to Little Matt, that is what will give him the edge to become the youngest person to ever win a bracelet. (Birthday at end of June). Oh, and getting a little coaching from DN. "special prodigy in 2013????" :D We appreciate your comment (and Little Matt enjoyed your chips..lol) and hospitality. We are sorry we stole a little of DN's time and attention. Just so everyone knows how popular poker is.... It was in the daily announcements at his new H.S. that he was on ESPN. And it is people like DN (he is not the only good guy tough, is he?) that is changing the perception we have of the game of poker.Not sure if it was Norman or Lon, but they are right, DN is a great ambassador for the game.To all of you that have posted, Little Matt appreciates all of the attention and endearing comments but does not have time to respond to each one...."Thanks" He surely is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.