Daniel And Little Matt On Wsop Tonight

I hope you all get to see the WSOP episode tonight with Daniel spending a day with a 14 year old burn victim who idolized Daniel. It sure makes one pause and get a little perspective on things. I am a fortunate guy in my life, and with my family and friends, so whining about my boat over boat loss in the Gold Strike early bird tourney last Saturday is not going to happen today, at least. ESPN did a great job telling the story and it makes me proud to be a little part of this by being a loyal Forum reader and supporter of Daniel and his role as a leading ambassador for the game. Well done, Daniel. :club:

:club: Your right about this good post, good story. Its good to see heart warming stories like this,Poker players out there showin the good side of poker unlike these idiots and the lawsuit.Way to go Daniel and ESPN I like the way ESPN does thier poker shows simply the best.

I couldn't imagine having to deal with the challenges this kid faces everyday. It would be a great boost emotionally to get the chance to meet your hero and hang out with him. But, add to that your hero hangs out with you and treats you like you're a normal kid and not go overboard with the sympathy etc....well that's just full blown, incomparable CLASS on DN's part. I admit it, I got a little choked up....

I couldn't imagine having to deal with the challenges this kid faces everyday. It would be a great boost emotionally to get the chance to meet your hero and hang out with him. But, add to that your hero hangs out with you and treats you like you're a normal kid and not go overboard with the sympathy etc....well that's just full blown, incomparable CLASS on DN's part. I admit it, I got a little choked up....
Daniel is all heart, and a geniune guy...you can just tell.Well...that's my read, and I am sticking to it.
Daniel is all heart, and a geniune guy...you can just tell.
And that likely was learned at home, while very young. Here's to you Mrs. Negreanu!!! :club:

The kid was pretty burnt up.EDIT: I didn't mean this in a heartless or mean way at all... just stating a fact... He's pretty lucky he has the use of his eyes by the looks of it... amazing kid.

The kid was pretty burnt up.
..Good read. I don't know whether to flame you, ask for your ban, not quote your reply at all in hopes you edit it, or just hit the 'back' button and pretend to not have seen it. I don't think you're a mean spirited man, by any means.But, think, next time, my man.Good segment.

You're probably going to flame me for this, but .... I have a question for all you "civilians" who don't regularly deal with people with health problems. Are you really surprised or are your attitudes and behavior really affected by such a story?I've spent my whole life (even as a child) involved in health care and my adult career in pediatrics and newborn intensive care. For me, an awareness that many children face enormous challenges with more grace and dignity than the average adult handles a minor inconvenience is "old news." It's something I see every day -- and perhaps take for granted. Do the rest of you really go around all day unaware that you are lucky not to have serious challenges in your life? Are you really unaware that many people have challenges far greater than yours? Do you really never (or rarely) think about those people less fortunate than yourselves?It seems to me that many people see a story like the one on ESPN tonight and suddenly become aware that there are people in the world who have challenges more serious than a few bad beats on the river. It's the "suddenly become aware" part that amazes me. Why does it take a TV story to wake people up? Could you please explain that?Finally ... I thought the ESPN story about Little Matt and Daniel was exceptionally well done for all the same reasons others have said. Having seen many such stories over the years, I think this one was one of the best and I am happy to see poker (and Daniel) being portrayed in such a positive way.Congratulations to Matt, his family, Daniel, and ESPN for reporting the story so wonderfully!llou

You're probably going to flame me for this, but .... I have a question for all you "civilians" who don't regularly deal with people with health problems. Are you really surprised or are your attitudes and behavior really affected by such a story?I've spent my whole life (even as a child) involved in health care and my adult career in pediatrics and newborn intensive care. For me, an awareness that many children face enormous challenges with more grace and dignity than the average adult handles a minor inconvenience is "old news." It's something I see every day -- and perhaps take for granted. Do the rest of you really go around all day unaware that you are lucky not to have serious challenges in your life? Are you really unaware that many people have challenges far greater than yours? Do you really never (or rarely) think about those people less fortunate than yourselves?It seems to me that many people see a story like the one on ESPN tonight and suddenly become aware that there are people in the world who have challenges more serious than a few bad beats on the river. It's the "suddenly become aware" part that amazes me. Could you please explain that?Finally ... I thought the ESPN story about Little Matt and Daniel was exceptionally well done for all the same reasons others have said. Having seen many such stories over the years, I think this one was one of the best and I am happy to see poker (and Daniel) being portrayed in such a positive way.Congratulations to Matt, his family, Daniel, and ESPN for reporting the story so wonderfully!llou
No I didn't "suddenly become aware" of situations like this. But those of us who aren't in a health or caregiver field don't see it everyday, all day. It's just a reminder. So excuse-the-fuck-out of me if I see a story that brings it to the forefront and comment on the honor and courage with which they face those challenges. Everyone, everyone has their own battles to fight in life and what you may consider a relatively minor inconvenience for another person could be a serious uphill fight.
The kid was pretty burnt up.
Your the biggest fool I have come across in this forum. The comments you make are heartless and have no place here. I really hope they ban you because we don't have time to put up with little kids like yourself.

It points out to me why i really hate most plastic surgeons - they're wasting their lives cashing in on fake breasts and botox - making people who are normal feel inadequate when helping people like that kid would actually add something to societyi'll defend brvhart i think he was stating the obvious not trying to make a joke - or at least i hope so

You're probably going to flame me for this, but .... I have a question for all you "civilians" who don't regularly deal with people with health problems. Are you really surprised or are your attitudes and behavior really affected by such a story?I've spent my whole life (even as a child) involved in health care and my adult career in pediatrics and newborn intensive care. For me, an awareness that many children face enormous challenges with more grace and dignity than the average adult handles a minor inconvenience is "old news." It's something I see every day -- and perhaps take for granted. Do the rest of you really go around all day unaware that you are lucky not to have serious challenges in your life? Are you really unaware that many people have challenges far greater than yours? Do you really never (or rarely) think about those people less fortunate than yourselves?It seems to me that many people see a story like the one on ESPN tonight and suddenly become aware that there are people in the world who have challenges more serious than a few bad beats on the river. It's the "suddenly become aware" part that amazes me. Why does it take a TV story to wake people up? Could you please explain that?Finally ... I thought the ESPN story about Little Matt and Daniel was exceptionally well done for all the same reasons others have said. Having seen many such stories over the years, I think this one was one of the best and I am happy to see poker (and Daniel) being portrayed in such a positive way.Congratulations to Matt, his family, Daniel, and ESPN for reporting the story so wonderfully!llou
You go girl ! I agree. I missed the episode tonight, I'll have to make sure to catch the rerun.
No I didn't "suddenly become aware" of situations like this. But those of us who aren't in a health or caregiver field don't see it everyday, all day. It's just a reminder. So excuse-the-fuck-out of me if I see a story that brings it to the forefront and comment on the honor and courage with which they face those challenges. Everyone, everyone has their own battles to fight in life and what you may consider a relatively minor inconvenience for another person could be a serious uphill fight.
I'm sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention. You wrote a very nice post and I certainly never meant to appear critical of it or of you, personally.I'm just trying to understand those people who see a story like the one that aired tonight and seem to be touched emotionally by it ... but then ... the next day ... they go on about their lives as if they had never seen it. Every once in a while they will encounter an inspiring story and perhaps comment on it, but they never seem to act on it. They may even be cruel to people who look different or have some sort of handicap. Then they see another story and seem to rediscover their compassion for a moment ... and then lose it again the next day. .... etc. etc. etc.I see such people every day (sometime here at FCP) and I wonder how they can be that way. I guess I shouldn't have asked the question here on this forum.Once again, I apologize for not clarifying that I wasn't talking about you specifically or for any other offense you took at my question.
Wow. That's pretty harsh. I think Lou's point was that it shouldn't be just people who are in healthcare who are aware of it everyday. All of us need to make it a point to be aware of it everyday and do what we can to help.
Wow. That's pretty harsh. I think Lou's point was that it shouldn't be just people who are in healthcare who are aware of it everyday. All of us need to make it a point to be aware of it everyday and do what we can to help.
Thanks, finz. You expressed it much better than I did. Perhaps I am too close to the topic and my emotions get all tangled up about it to express myself clearly. :club:

Everybody on this thread is truly correct... even brvheart as twisted as that may sound. But we do not have to be harsh (i think you all call it flame). What you saw tonight was just the tip of the iceberg for what DN did for Little Matt. This past summer Little Matt had to go to California for doctor appointments. DN when he found out just simply said, if you can make it we can hang out.When we headed west, Little Matt and I crashed the promotion by FCP for the Hockey weekend...again guys thanks, all the winners were very gracious. Doctors...blah blah blah...time to head home...again we show up and hang out with DN, of course he was working, but Little Matt wanted to watch DN in the WSOP for his birthday, and Daniel got him "back stage" passes to get a little closer. He had to get permissions and everything from the state gaming commission.ESPN did a terrific job, truly amazing and compassionate.DN is a class act.People do take some things for granted...even I do.But the biggest thing everybody should know about DN, from my perspective, is that it is genuine. Their first meeting was during whale watching trip. During the "hockey" promotion, they talked hockey. At DN's house, they played golf and basketball on DN's arcade games. They threw footballs. He joked he would coach Little Matt in the WSOP in 6 to 7 years, but they have never talked or played poker. He has befriended his biggest fan and has found my son.I am sure the poker playing will come in the future???? But I think Little Matt found a friend, something he can do anything with and DN makes sure he keeps it real. DN beat him in the arcade games, he doesn't let him win, he makes him play.BRAVO TO DN, FCP, ESPN, and people concerned enough to comment about my son.

I didn't see the ESPN feature but I've read some of DN's blogs about Matt. Wish you and your family the best and it would be cool to see DN give Matt a few poker tips and see Little Matt win a tournament...Keep making positive impacts on people's lives DN

the person who hit you, were they speeding excessively? why would an SUV erupt like that unless someone was really breaking some traffic laws.when i saw the segment my heart hurt so bad.there is no god, i am an atheist again.