Mr.calling Station

here's my two cents; calling the river there and in a coouple of the hands where DN got coolered isn't really a bad call. I mean yeah he was up against the stone cold nuts a few times and we at home got to see it, but the truth of the matter is most of the time when you flop the nuts in NL Holdem or hold trips or two pair or whatever and a scare card hits the river you have to pay it off. Bascially you have to ask yourself what you can beat and in the case of most of the hands DN got coolered on he could beat alot. Im not saying folding would be horrible. well in the case of big hand with eli i think a fold there would be pretty bad. I can't remember the size of the pot befor ethe 60k bet on the river but sometimes you just have to take your lickings in poker. I mean yeah sometimes the guys got the nuts and you lose a truckload but the times where the guy has an overpair or trips or two pair or air make the call +ev in my opinion.The one play i have a problem with was DN folding the nutflush to Todd Brunson's bet on river with j's. That one was a while back, but come on. Pay the man off if he's got the boat. Everyone else is getting paid.anyway just my thoughts. i also think there is way too much check calling and just callign down in that show adn not enough people raising with middle pocket pairs on 10 high flops. Just my opinion but the amount of calling on that show still suprises me everytime i watch it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the j 8 payoff was god awful
If Lindgren doesnt hit a 2 outer on the river would it have been a great call? Daniels read on the turn was his jacks were good. His read was right. His play was right in my opinion. The 9 isnt exactly a scare card on that board. I feel that was an automatic call with Daniels read.On Elis hand I feel he made a bad call because you have to ask what hand did Eli call the turn bet with? Was obvious Daniel had the straight. Was a bad place to bluff because Daniel is steaming so chances are he would call a river bet, so chances are Eli wouldnt bluff in that spot. Was a call based purely on tilt in my opinion.That said, Daniel has played thousands of hands vs Eli and knows him better than all of us Im sure.Anyhow we all make bad plays or plays which may seam poor to other players. The measure of how successful you are is to limit those poor plays and to induce poor play as often as you can from other players.Its what makes poker such a good game!
If Lindgren doesnt hit a 2 outer on the river would it have been a great call? Daniels read on the turn was his jacks were good. His read was right. His play was right in my opinion. The 9 isnt exactly a scare card on that board. I feel that was an automatic call with Daniels read.On Elis hand I feel he made a bad call because you have to ask what hand did Eli call the turn bet with? Was obvious Daniel had the straight. Was a bad place to bluff because Daniel is steaming so chances are he would call a river bet, so chances are Eli wouldnt bluff in that spot. Was a call based purely on tilt in my opinion.That said, Daniel has played thousands of hands vs Eli and knows him better than all of us Im sure.Anyhow we all make bad plays or plays which may seam poor to other players. The measure of how successful you are is to limit those poor plays and to induce poor play as often as you can from other players.Its what makes poker such a good game!
Lindgren wouldnt of bet the river if he didnt hit is 2 outter , daniel raised pre flop so lingren thought he was making a standard continuation bet on the flop now with daniel checking the turn, lindgren thought he was good cause fi he had a j he would probably follow up on the turn so he trys to take the pot down on the turn when daniel called the turn, he completely gave up the hand no way in a 1000 years hes firing the river. With the board being so dry there isnt 1 single hand daniel could beat on the river, not like there is flush draws or straight draw out there
i also think there is way too much check calling and just callign down in that show adn not enough people raising with middle pocket pairs on 10 high flops. Just my opinion but the amount of calling on that show still suprises me everytime i watch it.
Sometimes calling is an offensive weapon. Now...the way I use a call in position with air on the flop is surely not how they use it. I sometimes will call on the flop with air in position if I am certain that my opponent will check fold the turn. These guys seem to call to gain more information in the hopes that there hand is best.There seems to be some power play by the likes of the brunsons, harman, Esfandiari and Elezra...so there might be some walking of the dog here.There is also many 4 way and 5 way pots that a raise...even in position with a middle pair can lead to disaster/and or a very tough decision later on.I think the play has been what to expect when the predominant style at the table is lag.