Mr.calling Station

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the OP is going to use a few selected hands from HSP to judge Daniel's playing ability, then maybe he should watch last nights WSOP where Daniel repeatedly calls out his opponent's hand on the river and makes the correct laydown/call. He looked like fricking Superman with Xray vision, it was sick how good he was.Just like on any TV show, you know all that is edited for TV and that was the theme they were going with last night, even though I'm sure he made a bunch of incorrect reads as well. And on HSP, I'm sure he made a ton of great folds/calls/moves, but that didn't fit their theme for that show.DN has a pretty long history of being pretty damn good. I personally will give him credit for not being a calling station donkey :)Mark

I'm not gonna try and push anyone into the Daniel Fanboy Camp or pull anyone off his nuts, but, uh..everyone misplays hands. Daniel, Chip, Doyle, Me, You.I've never understood why people can't accept that. It's half the reason I post in strat much less now.. "You played that very poorly.. ...would've been a better line to take." "Well, geez, I was just coming here for some help..didn't need to be a dick."Daniel's not infallable..I think he's played pretty well on HSP, but, there's a hand or two I didn't understand why he did the things he did. NLHE is a complex game, so many times we forget to take in stack sizes, pot size, board texture, table image, villain's likely holdings versus what they are holding, previous reads, previous hands they've played..It's impossible to play NLHE perfect..we just hope to get as close as we can.

personally, i felt a bit better knowing that even a player with as much talent and success as DN can go on tilt and make bad plays. as a fan of his it was painful--but instructive--to watch.
MO NAKED HOESLMAO has to be the funniest sig that I have seen yet.

I love how people RIPPED Hellmuth for his few selected hands that were shown on just a couple episodes of HSP, but when its Daniel, every rationalization is used (and I agree with most of them, just that its not applied equally).Just shows how peoples alligances and biases color their thinking.

1) Daniel has taken a pretty bad beat, and 2 horrific coolers (2 outted by lindgren on the river, 1 outted by Gus on the turn, 9 outted by Eli on the river)2) Eli and Gus are extremely aggressive players, so the hand selection is wide open.3) No one wants to get bluffed on televisionRecipe for more calling as opposed to making hug laydowns. Give the guy a break.

I love how people RIPPED Hellmuth for his few selected hands that were shown on just a couple episodes of HSP, but when its Daniel, every rationalization is used (and I agree with most of them, just that its not applied equally).Just shows how peoples alligances and biases color their thinking.
Yeah but everyone knows Hellmuth is a terrible cash game player. DN is among the top in the world. There is a different respect given when you have 'street cred'.You are comparing apples to hyperactive oranges.
^^^^I generally agree, but i think, High Stakes Poker is actually fairly realistic in that regard, they show a pretty big portion of the hands that were played.
i dunno about that, even this episode when they do about 5 episodes per day, that's still only 5x45 = ~3 1/2hours of poker per day, when they are playing loooong sessions each day, i guess it depends what your definition of "big portion" is, compared to other poker shows ya, but still not even close to all of them
1) Daniel has taken a pretty bad beat, and 2 horrific coolers (2 outted by lindgren on the river, 1 outted by Gus on the turn, 9 outted by Eli on the river)2) Eli and Gus are extremely aggressive players, so the hand selection is wide open.3) No one wants to get bluffed on televisionRecipe for more calling as opposed to making hug laydowns. Give the guy a break. Yeah but everyone knows Hellmuth is a terrible cash game player. DN is among the top in the world. There is a different respect given when you have 'street cred'.You are comparing apples to hyperactive oranges.
Thanks for your post...This is EXACTLY the type of thing i was trying to touch on...Listing Rationalizations (numerically no less!!) while calling Hellmuth a "terrible" cash game player....Now granted, hes not considered the elite, but to call him terrible is just silly...you dont get as far as he has in poker, and be Terrible at anything in poker. People cant comprehend the huge middleground between Great at something and Terrible at something

hellmuth was just plain overmatched in that game. His tiny probe bets he uses to pick up pots against bad players were dismissed as pot juicers and post oak bluffs by the entire table which as it turned out which is exactly what they were.Daniel's play style is volatile as hell. He knows that. Playing bad cards leads to more "coolers" though Daniel definition of cooler and mine seem to vary a bit... is getting beat by a full house when you are playing 35o really a cooler ? :club: As for being a calling station..well if you choose to play 35o and hit the nuts you pretty much have to see through to the ends most of the time or you shouldn't play the hand in the first place. You could argue Daniel plays too many bad hands which leads to bad calls but the guy has won millions playing this way.

Wow, newsflash... Daniel is a human, not a no-limit hold-em robot with x-ray vision and no emotions.Daniel spends the most time at the HSP table, he probably plays the most pots, and he really wants to prove how good he is. These people call him down in spots where they are dead, Daniel can't figure out what they are calling him with and then he pays them off after they get lucky...its called poker.The scary thing is though it looks like he really loses it next week, I never saw him slam a table like that in frustration as he does in the clip.

hellmuth was just plain overmatched in that game. His tiny probe bets he uses to pick up pots against bad players were dismissed as pot juicers and post oak bluffs by the entire table which as it turned out which is exactly what they were.Daniel's play style is volatile as hell. He knows that. Playing bad cards leads to more "coolers" though Daniel definition of cooler and mine seem to vary a bit... is getting beat by a full house when you are playing 35o really a cooler ? :club: As for being a calling station..well if you choose to play 35o and hit the nuts you pretty much have to see through to the ends most of the time or you shouldn't play the hand in the first place. You could argue Daniel plays too many bad hands which leads to bad calls but the guy has won millions playing this way.
When you flop the nuts it is. Thats the point. If he had flopped say two pair, it wouldnt be.
Thanks for your post...This is EXACTLY the type of thing i was trying to touch on...Listing Rationalizations (numerically no less!!) while calling Hellmuth a "terrible" cash game player....Now granted, hes not considered the elite, but to call him terrible is just silly...you dont get as far as he has in poker, and be Terrible at anything in poker. People cant comprehend the huge middleground between Great at something and Terrible at something
There will now be a lesson on Tournament Poker as opposed to Ring Games. You can be the best tournament player in the world and have no 'legs' in a cash game, let alone a high stakes cash game. Why do you think there are only a handful of regulars that play in the Big Game? ....... :club: Im not going to waist my time.
Eli had alot more than 2 outs.
I think he was referring to Lindgren's two outer with the nines.

The thing that has surprised me the most about these games is how few really big bluffs you see. I could count them on one hand.90% of the time when someone dumps in $60,000 or more they've got the goods.

in the hand with 3-5 where he flopped the straight does anyone else like a small/medium defensive bet at the river?he might get paid off by a big two pair (which eli is representing). if he's raised he knows he's beat. that way he determines how much more he's contributing to the pot (especially if he's going to call a bet by eli)

in the hand with 3-5 where he flopped the straight does anyone else like a small/medium defensive bet at the river?he might get paid off by a big two pair (which eli is representing). if he's raised he knows he's beat. that way he determines how much more he's contributing to the pot (especially if he's going to call a bet by eli)
Maybe but Daniel had a feeling he was beat, and if he Eli bets enough he can get away from the hand, unfortunately Eli bet the right amount to get Daniel to call. If you put more money in the pot, you increase the amount you have to call on the end in relation to the pot size. I like his play. Again I just think it was a cooler.
There will now be a lesson on Tournament Poker as opposed to Ring Games. You can be the best tournament player in the world and have no 'legs' in a cash game, let alone a high stakes cash game. Why do you think there are only a handful of regulars that play in the Big Game? ....... :club: Im not going to waist my time. I think he was referring to Lindgren's two outer with the nines.
How do you bold my quote, but miss the entire context of it.I said, hes not in the elite class (meaning Big Game status) but to say hes Terrible is silly....One more time, theres a huge middle ground between being the Best Cash Game Player and a Terrible one.
How do you bold my quote, but miss the entire context of it.I said, hes not in the elite class (meaning Big Game status) but to say hes Terrible is silly....One more time, theres a huge middle ground between being the Best Cash Game Player and a Terrible one.
...hyperbole my friend. Chill out. When I say terrible, I mean in comparison to the rest of the players at the table and other ELITE poker players. Hellmuth is arguably the best NL Holdem Tournament players and more than one pro has admitted he is the best against amateurs, but against great players he is TERRIBLE. We could get into a semantics war, but again im not going to waste my time....you must be one of phils illegitimate children.

if you didn't see the hole cards of his opponents you would not think DN was calling off as badly as it appears now.it biases us.he does look bad though on many of these handsIn light of something Whatever said, it's not like there's a lot of bluffing for big amounts ( I think?) Ande surely, those hands would be televised.is it true you play better poker when the money means more?I mean, it's as if he wants to show how he got screwed again and 60k is not much to him.

Daniel is a great player who has made a couple poor calls on TELEVISON! He steams.. big surprise, who doesnt. What i have taken away from watching Daniel is that you should seldom check to him with a big hand/slow play. He is amazing at figuring out traps... much better then laying down a mediocre hand if you play a big hand with bigger bets.