Esfandari Depanting Matusow At Wsop Main Event

I read Daniel's blog if you are referring to the blog about how he gets along better with black people than white people, and that he went to a predominantly black school. I like DN but the implication of his blog is just bs, since there is no reason not to be able to get along with any man or woman no matter what their race. I've been friends with black people and I've not been friends with some, too. Daniel grew up in Toronto and if that's true I'd say that blacks in Toronto do not have the same chip on their shoulder as some blacks in the south USA where I'm from. So maybe they are easier to get along with. But DN implies that black people are easier to get along with than white people and that is bs. I was with two ladies at a bar last month and a black man asked one of the ladies to change a $5 bill and the other lady said "why don't you go ask a waitress and not bother us -- we don't make change." Then he said "Don't you be rude to me." And of course I had to stand up on him and he was ready to throw down until his friends took him aside and the club threw him out. If DN gets along better with black people than white people then it's something personal with him. He's a great poker player and I like him but blacks are no better or worse than whites or persians.
So the moral of your story is... a guy (who happens to be black, though that's irrelevant) got pissed at your friend (who happens to be white, but it's still irrelevant) beacuse she was a bitch to him?Really, though, it's a great story. Had me hooked.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the moral of your story is... a guy (who happens to be black, though that's irrelevant) got pissed at your friend (who happens to be white, but it's still irrelevant) beacuse she was a bitch to him?
Oh it was even better than I told it because the black guy was huge and could have easily destroyed me, but he wasn't used to a white man standing up against him--he said "What muthf--cker you're standing up on me like this..." and so on. Both of the ladies were very attractive and he was pissed earlier that the brunette wouldn't dance with him. So he sits down at our table without being invited and holds out a $5 bill to the brunette and asks her for change. She was scared of him and actually went for her purse to get change. I moved between them and told him to get change at the bar. The other lady, a blonde, made the smart remark, and he yelled at her and actually threatened her. This is in the south and there is alot of racial tension down here but this had nothing to do with race, this guy was an a__hole and that's why Daniel's blog comment about white's being the most evil race is pure bs. Oh yeah, the guy's friends took him aside and since he was drunk the club tossed him out. When I saw Esfandiari treating Matusow like a ***** I felt sorry that Mike had a friend like Esfandiari.
Oh it was even better than I told it because the black guy was huge and could have easily destroyed me, but he wasn't used to a white man standing up against him--he said "What muthf--cker you're standing up on me like this..." and so on. Both of the ladies were very attractive and he was pissed earlier that the brunette wouldn't dance with him. So he sits down at our table without being invited and holds out a $5 bill to the brunette and asks her for change. She was scared of him and actually went for her purse to get change. I moved between them and told him to get change at the bar. The other lady, a blonde, made the smart remark, and he yelled at her and actually threatened her. This is in the south and there is alot of racial tension down here but this had nothing to do with race, this guy was an a__hole and that's why Daniel's blog comment about white's being the most evil race is pure bs. Oh yeah, the guy's friends took him aside and since he was drunk the club tossed him out. When I saw Esfandiari treating Matusow like a ***** I felt sorry that Mike had a friend like Esfandiari.
By your admission, he was drunk. For all we know, he's the nicest guy in the world when he's not impaired by alcohol. Also, if it has nothing to do with race, why did you bring up the fact that the belligerent drunk was black?Daniel was merely stating his own personal experiences in the blog. If you've had different experiences, great. I know I have. To call his own life experience BS, though, is just stupid.
He's just lucky that the stripper made him take off her g-string before he left for the tables.
LOL. And I've come to a realization about quitting poker. The only people who quit are bad players. The one's who cannot win at any level whatsoever beacuse the TRUTH is that if you were consistently winning you would not quit, so that guy with 3,000 posts must suck. Right?
He's just lucky that the stripper made him take off her g-string before he left for the tables.
how funny would that have been? or what about if matusow had something reeeeally embarassing under the pants.. like adult diapers ....haa on another note..op is waaaay to uptight.I dont like Antionio either from what Ive seen of him...I think he's full of himself and comes off like an *******. However, who cares if he pants matusow? And I'm really curious as to why you're so obsessed with this? Its kinda creepy.
There's something I don't like about Amir "Antonio" Esfandiari, ever since he talked about how he enjoys baiting Helmuth. He changed his name because he didn't like being teased and called a "towell head." So why does he act so rude? I'm referring to what I just saw tonight during the Main Event coverage.Esfandiari is at a table. Matusow is wearing red sweat pants and has his back turned and standing behind Esfandiari. Matusow is watching the action at his table. He doesn't see Esfandiari coming up behind him.Esfandiari hams it up to the camera--"I'm going to depants Mike."Esfandiari then sneaks up behind Matusow and pulls Matusow's pants down.Matusow turns around and says "Do you want to see my *** or something."Now I'm sure I don't like this punk, Esfandiari. He is hooking up with celebrities and movies thanks to being friends with Laak and Tilly.What's with this flash in the pan? He isn't cool... not after he pulled Matusow's pants down.He had a nose job to look less Iranian.Esfandiari is a chauvenist pig--this article is about his posse of brats--the Rocks and Rings crew.http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2004-04-14/.../feature_3.htmlGetting the table and the bottle service is partly to attract the babies, who are never allowed to chip in. It may be suggested to them, however, that they come home and do a little cooking or cleaning for Rocks and Rings. It's partly a Persian thing -- the belief in traditional gender roles -- but it's one that the non-Persian Licari and Cristina go along with."After what I saw him do to Matusow, I look forward to seeing Esfandiari's 15 minutes up someday and send him back to his magic show. I've known several Iranians and they all thought they were better than Americans. I gotta believe that Esfandiari did that to Matusow because he thinks he's better than him and can get away with it.
Psycho.

you guys are effing losersshut the hell up. no one cares about your opinion on the magician. you have no friends. you have piece of garbage sense of humor. you have no relivant arguments. your story is stupid. youarestupidgo away and stop wasting timecheers

you guys are effing losersshut the hell up. no one cares about your opinion on the magician. you have no friends. you have piece of garbage sense of humor. you have no relivant arguments. your story is stupid. youarestupidgo away and stop wasting timecheers
Angry little ant aren't we?

Others have talked about how this is probably overly sensitive by the OP, and I'll agree.But what hasn't been added is that the article the OP linked to is well over 2 years old. Perhaps using an article that was published shortly after Esfandiari made his first big cash is a bit disingenous? Is it unreasonable to think that he might have matured over time?To the OP: you might consider how no one else has echoed your statements, and think that perhaps you're overreacting to this incident. I mean, perhaps no one does this sort of thing to Doyle Brunson because he isn't brash and crazy like Matusow is. When you act like Matusow does on television, publicly humiliating opponents and telling the world about how you're the greatest player in the history of poker, maybe you invite this kind of joking, especially from the people you're close to.

Hey Loxo what part of Sydney do you live in ? I used to live on Baden Road in Neutral Bay
Cronulla......southern beaches.

ahhhh so pretty there. I spent a lot of time at Bondi and Manly...as well as Whale beach. damn I miss Australia. I used to work for Captain Cook Cruises on Sydney Harbour. Im actually 1/2 Aussie so I have citizenship by descent. Is Kings Cross still a toilet or did they ever clean it up ?

I have a short story about Esfandari. Me and a friend of mine were in the Golden Nugget in 2004 during the WSOp time. Many of the pro's were playing in the Nuggett at that time. On a table Antonio was playing with a friend or 2 he seemed to know them. They were playing some "rich" tourist i would assume. He turn to a friend on the rail and says "dude you cannot not afford to sit at this table these guys can't even spell poker"came of as a ignorant prick!

Mike Sexton would agree--image on television of poker players throwing fits and pulling stunts like this isn't good for the image of poker. Step up the game.
You mean like when Doyle called Ted Forrest an idiot on TV? I guess we should shun Doyle too :club: Anyone who knows poker and watches High Stakes knows Antonio is one of the best players on there. Too bad for you he won't be going anywhere soon.

I like Esfandari. He is a young guy that hot it big and is having a good time with it. Most of us would do the same.And as far as depantsing Matesow? Who are we to say what's an appropriate joke as far as they go? I know I don't want any of you dudes telling me when me and my friends have gone too far playing jokes on another. Every group has it's own boundaries.

C'mon guys it was a joke and I'm sure mike will agree. I was watching Mike play at ftp when the episode aired and he laughed at it even then and said something to the affect of he got me good. As far as looking less persian by getting a nose job, um persians are not known for having big noses, not sure if he got a nose job but I,m sure it was becasue he had a big nose not cause he is persian. we all have seen Antonio take some sick beats on HSP and he has never thrown a fit, so lets not put him in that category. One last thing, hes not in movies becasue of Phil or Tilly, he gets those parts cause of his image and the fact that he has won in poker and his act stands out.

As far as looking less persian by getting a nose job, um persians are not known for having big noses, not sure if he got a nose job but I,m sure it was becasue he had a big nose not cause he is persian.
Have you ever seen an Iranian? OK, have you ever seen an Iranian before they had their nose job?Guess what city has been labelled the "nose job capital of the world"?
I've known several Iranians and they all thought they were better than Americans. I gotta believe that Esfandiari did that to Matusow because he thinks he's better than him and can get away with it.
Wow, you're pretty stupid. You're also pretty stupid if you think Hellmuth and Matusow are bad for poker. But I'm going to have to agree with you on Esfandiari, he acts like a twelve year old all the time.
Have you ever seen an Iranian? OK, have you ever seen an Iranian before they had their nose job?Guess what city has been labelled the "nose job capital of the world"?
Considering that I am persian, the answer would be yes and I'm jewish, wow my nose must be like 10 inches, um nope that's only below the belt.....moron
Considering that I am persian, the answer would be yes and I'm jewish, wow my nose must be like 10 inches, um nope that's only below the belt.....moron
Then you must know that Tehran is the nose job capital of the universe. Of course you probably aren't female, and being jewish probably don't wear islamic dress. Which means you aren't relying on your nose to attract men.... I married into a non-jewish Iranian family, and I don't know a single Iranian family in which one of the females under 25 hasn't had a nose job. I'm sure you know more Iranians than me, but I suspect I know more islamic ones - you know the ones that get the nose jobs...

Let me just throw in a disclaimer that the OP's attitude/inability to take a joke/racial biases are not representative of all people from the southeast US. That is all.