Oakland Raiiiiiders

They need to pick that Wisconsin lineman. Drawing a blank on his name... Morgan?
Joe Thomas I believe. Thats a terrible idea though. They should have taken a QB last year (instead of a safety....who runs their draft!!>?!>>!) and they better take brady quinn this year.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trade Mosstrade Porter...Calvin Johnson is gonna be a freak, he should be one of the top picks
agreed 100% -- I hope the Vikes look to move up to try & get him, we are totally desparate for talent at wr
I don't think that it's just the hype... the Raiders actually look really really good.
This joke isn't funny anymore.Anyways... I'm thinking Calvin Johnson 1st pick, or a QB even though I'm not a fan of Brady Quinn. Then all there other picks on O-line lol.
Joe Thomas I believe. Thats a terrible idea though. They should have taken a QB last year (instead of a safety....who runs their draft!!>?!>>!) and they better take brady quinn this year.
Thanks, I thought it was Joe Morgan for some reason.I don't think Brady Quinn is going to be a successful NFL QB, but regardless, picking a QB first is stupid. Football games are won on the line of scrimmage. So called skill positions are way overrated. Friggin Jon Kitna had 4,000 yards passing this season. With a good O-line, an avg RB will do (see Ladell Betts, Travis Henry), and Tennessee proved this year that you can win with average WRs.Offensive and Defensive line is where you build champions.

Kitna is not the reason the Lions suck.Look at the Jets this year. They drafted Ferguson and Mangold, and they're in the playoffs with noodle armed Chad Pennington, and a trio of running backs most people can't even name.Once the Titans fixed their O-line, they started winning games.You aren't seriously arguing that a poor offensive line can be overcome by a QB or RB are you?

Kitna is not the reason the Lions suck.Look at the Jets this year. They drafted Ferguson and Mangold, and they're in the playoffs with noodle armed Chad Pennington, and a trio of running backs most people can't even name.Once the Titans fixed their O-line, they started winning games.You aren't seriously arguing that a poor offensive line can be overcome by a QB or RB are you?
#1. Kitna is a big part of the reason why the Lions suck. He makes so many poor decisions that change the complexion of the game.#2. I am a hardcore Jets fan so I would know about this. D'Brick hasnt really played well, and any Jets fan will tell you that. He was abused by Jason Taylor (well, who wasnt), Paul Spicer, and any decent RE that they faced. But I will agree that Mangold has played phenomenal and has filled the role that Mawae had for the last decade.#3. Just because a QB has a "noodle arm" doesnt mean he sucks. Pennington is one of the most cerebral QB's in the game, obv not on the level of Manning/Brady, but his decision making is good and he is a very accurate passer. Not just that, but he is a great leader. You hear Kornheiser and Co., say stuff like "My dog can throw harder than Chad" and assume that Pennington is garbage, but he came back from 2 rotator cuff surgeries to lead the Jets to a 10-6 record. Also, IMO the Comeback Player of the Year...people say give it to Brees, but they dont realize that Brees played in all 16 last year. Impressive, if you ask me.#4. I know the game is won/lost in the trenches. But saying Kitna isnt part of the reason why the Lions suck is assinine, but thats just my opinion and I respect yours.----------"You aren't seriously arguing that a poor offensive line can be overcome by a QB or RB are you?"- Link me to where I said this, or argued it.
Thanks, I thought it was Joe Morgan for some reason.I don't think Brady Quinn is going to be a successful NFL QB, but regardless, picking a QB first is stupid. Football games are won on the line of scrimmage. So called skill positions are way overrated. Friggin Jon Kitna had 4,000 yards passing this season. With a good O-line, an avg RB will do (see Ladell Betts, Travis Henry), and Tennessee proved this year that you can win with average WRs.Offensive and Defensive line is where you build champions.
the list of teams who have won super bowls with a bad QB is a really really really short list (and usually its a longtime mediocre QB, think Mark Rypien, who just goes bonkers for one year)the raiders need a QB if they dont take one this year they are insane. if not quinn then russell or brohm (who I like better than Quinn) or trade down and take Troy Smith. Whatever. Get a QB.
#1. Kitna is a big part of the reason why the Lions suck. He makes so many poor decisions that change the complexion of the game.
The Lions sucked before Kitna and they'll suck after Kitna. I'm not saying he's good, but I believe they said in the Dallas game he's been knocked down more times than anybody else this season. They even talked about how sore he's going to be at the end of the season.
#2. I am a hardcore Jets fan so I would know about this. D'Brick hasnt really played well, and any Jets fan will tell you that. He was abused by Jason Taylor (well, who wasnt), Paul Spicer, and any decent RE that they faced. But I will agree that Mangold has played phenomenal and has filled the role that Mawae had for the last decade.#3. Just because a QB has a "noodle arm" doesnt mean he sucks. Pennington is one of the most cerebral QB's in the game, obv not on the level of Manning/Brady, but his decision making is good and he is a very accurate passer. Not just that, but he is a great leader. You hear Kornheiser and Co., say stuff like "My dog can throw harder than Chad" and assume that Pennington is garbage, but he came back from 2 rotator cuff surgeries to lead the Jets to a 10-6 record. Also, IMO the Comeback Player of the Year...people say give it to Brees, but they dont realize that Brees played in all 16 last year. Impressive, if you ask me.
I'm not saying two o-linemen are the sole reason the Jets are in the playoffs, but they are a big reason. Just ask Pennington's shoulder how much it likes those guys.I agree that Pennington should get the comeback player of the year. I also don't need Kornheiser to tell me Pennington has a noodle arm, I saw that for myself his rookie season. Pennington is a serviceable QB. He's like Richard Todd - not hall bound, but good enough.
#4. I know the game is won/lost in the trenches. But saying Kitna isnt part of the reason why the Lions suck is assinine, but thats just my opinion and I respect yours.
Everybody's a part of the reason they suck. Except maybe Roy Williams. Kitna doesn't own a bigger share IMO.
the list of teams who have won super bowls with a bad QB is a really really really short list (and usually its a longtime mediocre QB, think Mark Rypien, who just goes bonkers for one year)the raiders need a QB if they dont take one this year they are insane. if not quinn then russell or brohm (who I like better than Quinn) or trade down and take Troy Smith. Whatever. Get a QB.
1 - It may be a short one (Rypien, Warner, Hostetler, Dilfer, Plunkett), but there is a list of bad/avg. QB's with rings. There's no list of bad O-lines or D-lines with rings. 2 - If you dropped Peyton Manning behind the current Raiders line, they still aren't going to the playoffs.3 - If the Raiders are thinking Super Bowl next year, they really are insane.Trading down for Smith is a would be bad. If they really want another QB, they should sign Leftwich, Shaub, Simms, or maybe Delhomme if the Panthers let him go.
1 - It may be a short one (Rypien, Warner, Hostetler, Dilfer, Plunkett), but there is a list of bad/avg. QB's with rings. There's no list of bad O-lines or D-lines with rings. 2 - If you dropped Peyton Manning behind the current Raiders line, they still aren't going to the playoffs.3 - If the Raiders are thinking Super Bowl next year, they really are insane.Trading down for Smith is a would be bad. If they really want another QB, they should sign Leftwich, Shaub, Simms, or maybe Delhomme if the Panthers let him go.
That IS the list of bad/avg. Qbs. And Rypien, Warner, Plunkett all had amazing years when they won the super bowl (a guy playng amazing does not equal bad). Hostetler took over for Phil Simms. That barely counts. Dilfer is the only QB who had a bad year who won a super bowl. THe only one and that Ravens D was freakish.No Manning would not take the Raiders to the super bowl. but with their decent D and their decent WRs they probably would improve by at least 5-6 games. Why get a retread QB (simms? ugh Shaub wont be for sale. Delhomme isnt gone either. Leftwich? ugh) When you get a chance to get a franchise QB you take it. Period. Lines are important. But you dont need to use first round pick to build them. Wise late round drafting, wise free agency moves and a good line coach helps you build a good line. Quarterback is the most important position in sports and the Raiders cannot go into another season with the Walters/Brooks pu-pu platter (figuratively and literally).
Why get a retread QB (simms? ugh Shaub wont be for sale. Delhomme isnt gone either. Leftwich? ugh) When you get a chance to get a franchise QB you take it. Period.
You mean like Saban signing Culpepper? Or the Chargers taking Leaf? You get a retread QB because in this league, you can win with avg to slightly above avg. skill players. Honestly, I don't even think the Raiders need to replace Brooks. At least not this year.
Lines are important. But you dont need to use first round pick to build them. Wise late round drafting, wise free agency moves and a good line coach helps you build a good line.
If you've been watching the past several years of drafts, you know that linemen are not dropping to the middle to late rounds. If I'm building a team, I'm building it from the most important aspect with the best players I can get.Meanwhile, there isn't a huge drop in talent at QB. There's a couple of guys at the top, plenty of guys in the middle, and a few hapless ones at the bottom.
Quarterback is the most important position in sports and the Raiders cannot go into another season with the Walters/Brooks pu-pu platter (figuratively and literally).
I don't know about most important position in sports, but the most important group of players in football are the linemen on both sides of the ball. If the Raiders draft Quinn, he will be a guaranteed Ryan Leaf/Tim Couch/Rick Mirer/Heath Shuler. What can he learn flat on his a$$? All he can learn is how to lose confidence. Build a line, draft a QB after it's in place. Tell me Quinn is going to be better back there than Brooks, Leftwich, or even a guy like Patrick Ramsey. And all of them are cheaper than Quinn.I don't know what will happen with Simms. There was some talk late/mid season about him going.
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost everybody turned down the job. Dennis "they were who we thought they were" Green turned down the offer to even interview. I talked to Al on the phone yesterday, but had to respectfully decline. We finally found someone and for some reason decided 5 years was a good idea.Ladies and gentleman. Introducing Mr. Lane KiffinKIFFIN,-LANE150.JPGIf that's not a deer caught in the headlights, I don't know what is.

What happened?
It was probably his first interview with the press ever.I already don't trust his judgement. He's going to get his family, which is his wife, 2 year old and 3 month old, tickets in the Black Hole. I'm not sure I'd trust anybody who seriously wants to put his family, which is his wife, 2 year old and 3 month old, into that type of atmosphere.