Question On Odds......flush Vs. Straight

New forum member here. Just a quick question. Ok, so, a flush beats a straight obviously. So, that means the odds of catching a straight are better than a flush. No brainer.ok, here's my question.....say, for example, you have 5 6.......the flop is 4 7 10. you have an open ended straight draw. again no brainer.there are 4 3's and 4 8's that make the straight, for a total of 8 cards.now, lets say you have 5d 8d......flop is jd ad and ksyou have flush draw.......and you have 9 cards that make a flush. of course this all depends on what cards other people folded.but in perfect world, you have 8 cards for straight and 9 cards for flush.so........why are odds for getting a straight better????i probably could have run some numbers and research, but figured someone would know right off hand.thanks

New forum member here. Just a quick question. Ok, so, a flush beats a straight obviously. So, that means the odds of catching a straight are better than a flush. No brainer.ok, here's my question.....say, for example, you have 5 6.......the flop is 4 7 10. you have an open ended straight draw. again no brainer.there are 4 3's and 4 8's that make the straight, for a total of 8 cards.now, lets say you have 5d 8d......flop is jd ad and ksyou have flush draw.......and you have 9 cards that make a flush. of course this all depends on what cards other people folded.but in perfect world, you have 8 cards for straight and 9 cards for flush.so........why are odds for getting a straight better????i probably could have run some numbers and research, but figured someone would know right off hand.thanks
Your looking at post flop odds needing only on card, and then yes your odds of getting a flush are better. However, predeal, a straight is more likely to happen than a flush, ie there are more ways to make a straight with 7 random cards than there are a flush. That's why a flush beats a straight.
Your looking at post flop odds needing only on card, and then yes your odds of getting a flush are better. However, predeal, a straight is more likely to happen than a flush, ie there are more ways to make a straight with 7 random cards than there are a flush. That's why a flush beats a straight.
hmm.......duh. not sure why i didn't see it that way.thanks alot for explanation.
  • 2 weeks later...
Ya know, I've even checked out that online "Urban Dictionary" and it's still hard for me to use "QFT" in the proper context. :club:
It means "quoted for truth"Check out the following link for other acronyms :Dhttp://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=64784

The reasoning is this...It is eaiser, %wise to MAKE a straight, than it is to make a flush. That is why a straight is a lesser hand. AFTER THE FLOP, it is easier to make the flush, but preflop it was not, so the flush is harder to make, the flush is a stronger hand. After the flop, everything changes. Fore example...You hold Kc Qc, flop is * Ac 5h 7h *Surely you wouldnt be asking me why a flush is stronger when it has little chance to make the flush. PREFLOP, flush is harder to make.