Realization Post

After playing for about a year and a half I am finally fine with losing to a bad beat. I have given and taken my share but recently I have been able to cope with the loss. I used to always get mad every time I would get "rivered" or lose when I was a favorite on an all in but why should I? Variance happens to everyone. I made a good play and the cards just didn't fall for me that time. I also used to get mad when the Sox would lose like when Buehrle pitched against Lima a few years back. It was a "bad beat" in my mind but why worry about that when there are plenty of other things to worry about.Overall I'm just happy to say that I feel like I'm maturing in my poker/life stages. If this thread sucked to you then just be happy I didn't bring up Jaime Gold or the WPT getting sued. That is all. Enjoy.

Congrats on finally seeing the light!I don't play online much but it seems those that do are the ones that complain the most about "bad beats". Don't get me wrong. I understand that when you're playing 100+ hands an hour you see a lot more of them than us live players but I would think that would just make you more immune (for lack of a better word) to the multitude of bad beats you take.Like you said, that's just poker and, like it or not, a part of the game.I have no doubt that your success rate will improve now that you're not tilting everytime the inevitable happens.Good luck.

Overall I'm just happy to say that I feel like I'm maturing in my poker/life stages. If this thread sucked to you then just be happy I didn't bring up Jaime Gold or the WPT getting sued. That is all. Enjoy.
WPT is getting sued??Anyway, that's good wsox, I can usually deal with a 1 or 2 of them within a short time span, but any more than that, and it's time for me to close my game. Never be afraid to leave a game if you find the beats affecting you.
Wait til you play out of your roll and take them, or miss huge Sunday cash days becauseo of them.
I don't play out of my roll.

Scott Fischman said it in his book but may have been quoting Sklansky. "In order to have suffered a bad beat, you had to have done something right. Bad players don't suffer bad beats."

I think it definitely shows a level of maturity. When I very first started playing, I would get bad beats and not care. Either I didn't know they were bad beats or I'd say "that's poker". Then I read a book or two, gained a little knowledge (very little) and started getting offended at every "bad beat" I took. I would berate players and get really angry because I was playing "perfectly" and I knew something they didn't. Now I think I've finally matured (a little at least) at the table and take my beats like a man...or at least try to. It's kinda that middle stage where players think they know everything about the game and get angry at other players because of the way they played. I think everyone goes through it at some point.

I handle bad beats fine live. I just think its rude and stupid to either act out at the dealer or player. Online if I'm running well I deal with it. Online if I'm running poorly I vent like a mofo to my friends. It doesn't matter form or venue I'm always mad when I get bad beats, I just would never berate someone for it, I think that is childish.

As most winning players will tell you, I get upset when I play bad, not from bad beats. Ive dealt with beats that have cost me lots and lots of $, but they don't hardly bother me anymore.If I make some donkey play it sometimes tilts me very badly and things can start to get ugly, ala last evening.Although the QQ v A10 beat with 24 ppl left for a top 3 chip stack in the Sunday Million a few weeks ago stung pretty ****ing bad.