Team Playing At Online Poker

Was playing a bit of 5/10 at Party last night, and there was some chat (an accusation really...) of a couple of players playing in coercion with each other.This got me thinking (because I'd never actually considered it before) - what are the advantages of two players sitting alongside each other (live) playing at the same online table?? The obvious answer is that the player with the weaker of the 2 hands would fold more readily, and that could reduce their overall rake, but apart from that - is there any obvious advantage??.Further, this team-playing is obviously already happening online, but does anyone have a feel for the extent of it??Would be interested to hear your thoughts??

There is no place for cheating in a strategy forum.Secondly, most cheaters only cheat because they suck at poker. This in turn, makes then suck at cheating, so it isn't something to really worry about, IMO.- Zach

There is no place for cheating in a strategy forum.Secondly, most cheaters only cheat because they suck at poker. This in turn, makes then suck at cheating, so it isn't something to really worry about, IMO.- Zach
Was that an attack on me or my post Zach?? Either way, I'll refrain from replying with what I really think of your response.Now, does anybody have any constructive comments??
Was that an attack on me or my post Zach?? Either way, I'll refrain from replying with what I really think of your response.Now, does anybody have any constructive comments??
Hmm...I think I misread your post.My apologies.****The only thing that having two players at the table helps with is sandwiching a player between raises. If one of them has a really strong hand, they'll try and inflate the pot for one another.Another advantage would be knowing 2 dead cards, assuming this is online. You will always know if two of your outs are in his hand.Either way, it's pretty exploitable if you notice it, and it's actually pretty noticeable. Watch the river when one of two guys who are hammering the turn c/f if it gets HU between them.- Zach

Thanks Zach - appreciate your insight.Just to clarify, I certainly wasn't posting on the subject as a means to use the method - I simply wanted to know if others are trying to cheat me, how are they achieving it (and therefore which signs should I be looking out for?).You've answered that - thanks again.Cheers

Thanks Zach - appreciate your insight.Just to clarify, I certainly wasn't posting on the subject as a means to use the method - I simply wanted to know if others are trying to cheat me, how are they achieving it (and therefore which signs should I be looking out for?).You've answered that - thanks again.Cheers
Yeah, I tend to just skim while I'm playing and posting at the same time, so that is what I assumed. Again, my apologies.Like I said in the first post though, it really isn't something I'd be too worried about as the reason most people cheat is that they are bad poker players, and that usually makes them pretty bad at cheating. Furthermore, online sites tend to notice these things and will usually put a stop to it pretty quickly.- Zach
Was playing a bit of 5/10 at Party last night, and there was some chat (an accusation really...) of a couple of players playing in coercion with each other.This got me thinking (because I'd never actually considered it before) - what are the advantages of two players sitting alongside each other (live) playing at the same online table?? The obvious answer is that the player with the weaker of the 2 hands would fold more readily, and that could reduce their overall rake, but apart from that - is there any obvious advantage??.Further, this team-playing is obviously already happening online, but does anyone have a feel for the extent of it??Would be interested to hear your thoughts??
Zach's answers are all good. Behind the scenes, online sites try to protect u against cheaters. Party doesn't allow certain people to play at the same table. For example, if I go over to my friend's house and use his computer to log in to party, from this point on my friend will not be able to join a table im at because of "accociation". Party has kicked off many players or accounts in their history due to collusion.I hear of people playing teams of like 5 or 6. They know what cards are outespecially in omaha. But, again, the major online sites are doing stuff to prevent collusion which most people are unaware of.

There are a lot of things done on the backend by online sites to prevent this from happening.It's not overly difficult for them to detect cheating. After all, they have access to all of the hole cards in play.

They ARE getting better at figuring out possible cheating... perhaps too much. A friend of mine and I play together online all the time- no cheating, no msn, no phone calls... just regular play, sometimes beating each other up. Party Poker stopped us from being able to play at the same table or the same tournament. That's the same as telling two guys who always go to the cardroom to play together WITHOUT any cheating that they can't play together.

Two players sharing information can gain a significant advantage at the expense of the other players. For example, say they start the hand with AK and AJ -- obviously the guy with AJ is never going to enter the hand. Thus, the other people in the hand playing stuff like Q10 or 88 simply have worse odds than they would otherwise. For example, say the flop comes Q 10 2 -- the guy with Q10 would ordinarily make money from both AJ and AK who would draw to their gutshots and over cards -- now, though, he will only win half the number of bets.On any given hand, this may not amount to much, but over the course of time, it will add up and make it harder for honest players to win.Still, online sites apparently have ways to monitor this kind of thing. Probably by recognizing when two people are at the same table regularly and never show down hands against each other.