Build A Bankroll Or Buy A Bankroll?

What is the best way to completely start over after losing it all from horrible bankroll management??I feel im a well above average player in live cash games and pretty good online player, but my bankroll management and steam control are terrible.I also have a good job for a 19 year old (web design) and can make alot of money, so should I just put like $200 in online and try to rebuild the bankroll from really low limit games and tournys or just save up for 2 months and make my own $1000-1500 bankroll? (not sure if this is the correct forum, move if not)

I personally would reccomend doing a combination of both. Put a couple hundred back into your online account and play a bit in order to keep your skills sharp. I would also save money for a couple months and then add that to your BR so you can comfortably return to the limits you are accustumed too.Who knows, maybe you get lucky with the $200, win a tourney and... poof ur BR is restored

I personally would reccomend doing a combination of both. Put a couple hundred back into your online account and play a bit in order to keep your skills sharp. I would also save money for a couple months and then add that to your BR so you can comfortably return to the limits you are accustumed too.Who knows, maybe you get lucky with the $200, win a tourney and... poof ur BR is restored
Thats actually what I planned on doing for awhile, my tourny play has been drastactly improved over the last month, but I also play in a weekly homegame which we do $40 + rebuys with like 12-20 people, and I want to start adding to my bankroll from those.

I actually like this question, because as I was learning to manage my bankroll it was an issue for me of how to get re-established... and I honestly found it much more difficult to buy back in and play low limits when the money didn't mean anything to me... It affected my game negatively if I wasn't playing a high enough limit that I had to maintain focus... So for me, I'd actually recommend buying back in enough to play a limit that matters to you so that you play your A game... That's how it works for me anyways... but the argument that good poker should be good poker at any limit does apply and in theory I should be able to play the low limit games as well as the higher ones...

great point gadjetIf my roll dips to a point where I get 'bored' playing at limits that low, Id rather put the rest on the line or just reload to get back to limits that I like to compete at. I think your 'A' game only shows its face when you are sweating it a little. The less pressure there is on you the worse you play. If my nuts start to shrivel up a little and my heart starts beating faster I know Im playing right where I need to be for my A game to be most effective

Instead of saving up $1500, save up $5000 or more.Cash it out in all $1's.Place the pile of cash on your bed and have sex with it like any 19 year old red-blooded American male should.
I guess we have the same line of thinking but i would rather have sex on the bed full of 1's

I also face this similar issue. In live play I sit 20-40 limit or 2-5 / 5-10 NL. I play these limits 5 days a week usually. I just moved up to the 20-40 (from 8-16) about a month ago. My bankroll at FCP is currently really small because every site I play at I try to only put a few hundred dollars into and build up from there. Ive never had a problem doing it on any other site in the past but after moving up to the higher live limits I just cant get myself to focus while trying grind it out playing 3-6 on FCP. Even playing 3 tables at a time (all 5 handed) Im still out of it enough to be responding to this post.As the others have said, I would wait until you put enough money at risk that you will play your A game.

great point gadjetIf my roll dips to a point where I get 'bored' playing at limits that low, Id rather put the rest on the line or just reload to get back to limits that I like to compete at. I think your 'A' game only shows its face when you are sweating it a little. The less pressure there is on you the worse you play. If my nuts start to shrivel up a little and my heart starts beating faster I know Im playing right where I need to be for my A game to be most effective
i dont think this is really true. a player can be playing their A game in a freeroll, doesnt mean its as satisfying, but you can play your A game in any situation
Well, the FCP guru has spoken./thread.
CUI4 and I don't often see eye to eye, but I think he's spot on on this one. Your A game really doesn't have anything to do with the stakes you're playing. It has to do with focus. Maybe some people need a bit of fear or something in order to focus, but focus is still the key ingredient.

If your BR management and steam control are terrible only put in as much money as you're willing to lose because in the long run you will lose it. Poker skill will only help you if you allow yourself to win.Once you've found a way to get ahold of your decisions you can succeed.Good luck.

I've been trying to build one and it's been working out alright, yea in the long run the money dosen't matter much, when your done palying you realized you just spent an hour and won 3$. But when you look at it compared to your bankroll you apretiate the money =P, or maybe thats just me.Also you will build up some skill before you put more money on the line.

CUI4 and I don't often see eye to eye, but I think he's spot on on this one. Your A game really doesn't have anything to do with the stakes you're playing. It has to do with focus. Maybe some people need a bit of fear or something in order to focus, but focus is still the key ingredient.
I play my best game when rent is due in a week and I have 80 dollars. :club:.. I couldnt agree with you guys more.

I bought in Jan 05 with $50 and have never had to rebuy, everytime my bankroll gets stupid low I just lower my limits. But now that I am playing 5/10 and 10/20 I dont know if I could go back to 0.25/0.50 again so I personally like the question. I think I could drop down to as low as 2/4, but if my roll goes below that I would probably rebuy.

i dont think this is really true. a player can be playing their A game in a freeroll, doesnt mean its as satisfying, but you can play your A game in any situation
Thats true I can play my A game at any level, but I get bored of lower limits like .10/.25 or .25/.50, which is why right now what I plan on doing is putting $100 in on friday when I get payed and then saving about $200 every 2 weeks in a savings acount till I have about $1200 to play with.With the $100 I plan on playing only tournaments and SNG's and hoping I start cashing in those.

ah, the once-a-month thread where i get to hint at my sob story. :club: as someone who's gone from 20 bucks in jan 05 to an 18k roll and consistent MTT, 25/50, and 30/60 wins by the end of 05, back to a 700 dollar roll by may 06, and just now getting back to 10/20 territory (all with proper br management, so yes, i was playing 1/2 for a while this year), let me say this: grinding your roll back from almost zero when it's been much bigger is probably the best conceivable thing for your poker mindset, your game, and the overall mental side of playing poker. if you've gone broke, chances are that your confidence is shot, you've developed bad habits, etc. i know i did, for one, and really making yourself be honest about those things, taking some time off, reevaluating, and coming back with confidence and drive (yes, even if it means that you'll have to say something like "back to .50/1 LHE? i can CRUSH these ****ers") is the absolute best thing that you can do.everyone goes broke who plays long term. yes, everyone. often multiple times. i believe jen harman said something (and yes, this is a paraphrase) like this: "anyone knows how to look like a pro when they're winning. show me someone who's running bad and how they deal with it and i'll tell you if they have what it takes," and she's right.edit: as for the best way to rebuild a roll, i'd recommend sngs on party and small buyin MTTs. the play in each is profoundly terrible, and if you've had MTT success in the past, making a decent win of even 500-1k at a 5-10 dollar MTT can do wonders for your confidence and roll at the same time. assuming you're still at around a 4-500 dollar roll, i'd strongly recommend the 5-10 dollar MTT route for rebuilding. good luck.

What is the best way to completely start over after losing it all from horrible bankroll management??I feel im a well above average player in live cash games and pretty good online player, but my bankroll management and steam control are terrible.I also have a good job for a 19 year old (web design) and can make alot of money, so should I just put like $200 in online and try to rebuild the bankroll from really low limit games and tournys or just save up for 2 months and make my own $1000-1500 bankroll? (not sure if this is the correct forum, move if not)
if you start out with 200, you shouldnt play games over .5/.10 nl... have fun with that
if you start out with 200, you shouldnt play games over .5/.10 nl... have fun with that
If I start with $200 I plan on playing only $5-10 MTT and SNG's, I will never play .5/.10NL, there is absolutely no point to that. I make 2x the max buyin to that game per hour at work. The lowest stakes I plan on ever playing again online in a cash game is .25/.50NL

What does everyone think of this idea i'm bout to start doing???If every payday my bankroll is up from the what it was the previous week I will be adding some more money into it to reward myself and also help increase my bankroll faster. If I'm down from the previous week I won't add more money. Do you guys think this is a good idea ?

What does everyone think of this idea i'm bout to start doing???If every payday my bankroll is up from the what it was the previous week I will be adding some more money into it to reward myself and also help increase my bankroll faster. If I'm down from the previous week I won't add more money. Do you guys think this is a good idea ?
Just do what I'm going to do, add money every week no matter if your doing good or not untill you have enough to play with just bankroll money.
Just do what I'm going to do, add money every week no matter if your doing good or not untill you have enough to play with just bankroll money.
Right on. The reason why i'm thinking of doing it this way is so I'm rewarded for playing good and if i go on a losing streak or even worse if i go on tilt i dont make it worse by throwing more money in. I think its very easy to play bad and lose money then you dont even realize it cause you just deposit more money so you will continue to play the same, your mind has a way of forgetting your losing streaks. Without depositing any more money ill be forced to make adjustments to my game if i am infact losing because of incorrect play.