Why Did Gus Check The River?

Thats a good walkthrough by Gus, but it leaves a some issues unresolved in my newbie mind:The logic behind thinking that Daniel should have walked away is convoluted... if so, why would Gus then assume that Daniel would call the final (all-in) 167k bet?Also, does it shed light on what kind of hand he had Daniel on? itsn't that somehow a key question?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not what happened here he had quads and got paid off the most he could - you can't criticize that
sure you can, it just the same, you cant let one result, affect your decision.you think its diffrent because he had quads? ok so lets say someone have quads and he think the other guy have nothing, he decide to go all in, stupid move right? but wait, the other guy has something really good, and he call. so he got paid off the most but that doesnt make his move less stupid.
sure you can, it just the same, you cant let one result, affect your decision.you think its diffrent because he had quads? ok so lets say someone have quads and he think the other guy have nothing, he decide to go all in, stupid move right? but wait, the other guy has something really good, and he call. so he got paid off the most but that doesnt make his move less stupid.
i can't argue with someone that can't even conjugate a verb
i can't argue with someone that can't even conjugate a verb
lolyou dont have anything to say cause you know im right, then dont say anything.yeah my english isnt great, but is your hebraw good as mine? ha? didnt think so.

hope Dn reads this thread again and get his take on gus' take.

Thanks for translating that, I was really curious as to what Gus would have to say about it.
I cant take credit for the translation, it was someone over on 2+2 which is why I just quoted his post.

now that gus has said he had dn hitting the flop, after dn said there was precisely a zero percent chance gus had him on anything other than an overpair, id be interested in hearing dn's response.

Yeah, I think DN really needs to respond to that link as it seems that Gus' take, based on that article, is the polar opposite of what DN has told us with absolute certainty were Gus thoughts during the hand. Namely, that he put DN on a big overpair.FWIW, I also think the idea that checking the river because "its more likely that AA will value bet the river when checked to than call a river bet" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Obviously, I'm no DN when it comes to high stakes NL hold em but why on earth would AA even think about betting that 4 straight/paired board on the river in a big pot against Gus Hansen? The idea that AA would be more inclined to make a bet than call a bet on that river just seems so absurd to me that I would really be interested to hear DN explain the concept further. Maybe I'm missing something.Looking at the 2 sides of this one, Gus' version as per the linked article seems far more plausible.

Respect to Daniel, a very good player, who is an excellent reader of other players, betting patterns, positional betting and many other situations (e.g - he has got himself out of 'coolers' before, where very few people would have been able to work out that they were, in fact, behind - a true sign of a very gifted player). He has a great tournament record (2004/5 player of the year?), and he has every quality necessary to make him one of the top cash game players in the world.However....... I can tell from his posts here that he is convinced that Gus put him on a high pair (AA, KK, QQ). Nothing anybody says here will change Daniel's mind, and that is fine because he is a man super confident of his own convictions, and rightly so.But he is wrong. There is simply no way that Gus would check the river if he put him on a hand such as that. He also would never check raise ALL IN, as Daniel simply could not call with AA. (unless Gus momentarily lost his mind!) As Gus says in the article he wrote for the Danish newspaper, Daniel's pre-flop re-raise couldnt get him off a huge variety of hands and I genuinely think that Daniel is placing too much importance to his pre-flop re-raise. Maybe he is over-analyzing the 'trickiness' of that bet.There is only one reason that Gus Hansen was able to pull off that bet on the river and make it work - that being that he is Gus Hansen, and he knew that Daniel knows about Gus's image, and he used it against him (e.g - I doubt he would have called if it had been Greenstein, Harmon etc). But, most importantly, he could and would only do that if he had worked out that Daniel was himself, also super strong.Quite simply, he knew that Daniel was very strong on the flop, as he even said himself after the hand I think? even though he had a set, he sensed he didnt like it!! - Sorry Daniel, I think you are wrong, but its ok to debate hands isnt it? lol... and anyway, you get the majority of your reads correct, which makes you a winning poker player, simple as that. But I just wanted to state my opinions on this because I love the show. The psychology is intense, along with great characters such as yourself.Good luck out there on the tables Daniel!Peace. :club:

Daniel, I have to agree 100% with DDM's analysis of the hand. If you had an overpair the way you played it on the turn and river is certainly very dangerous and unorthodox(not that there is anything wrong with that). I just can't imagine not taking a free showdown against Gus with a one liner to a straight if you had an overpair. Give Gus some credit, he is unlikely to call a 67k bet with just a nine on a 96558 flop. There is very little upside to a big bet on the river in this situation with an overpair.This is why I believe Gus had a sense that Daniel had a monster when DN flatcalls the turn. Gus has also shown a propensity to check down rivers with missed draws when he has bet the flop and river. He knows because of his table image that he will get called more frequently, epsecially by Daniel.In the end its just a hand you have a bit of money on. Nobody should feel bad about losing a hand like this.