taking effective notes on other players.

Much of my play lately has been at a site with relatively few players, therefore I am up against as many as 5-6 players at the same time who I have notes on.I know that my note taking could be more effective, and was wondering what some of the rest of you do for notes?Please post some examples of your notes if possible.Thanks,Hardrocker

Im suprised I havent seen this post before. I take a ton of notes myself. I used to play alot of SNGs and at my site all the SNGs were inbred with regulars. I tend to write down, first, their general style Tight, Loose, Unorthodox, erratic. If I see that they like to doyle their flush draws(move all in on them)....Basically how they play in draw scenarios, whether they will bluff when they miss their hand. If they show down a hand at the end and I think it has significance I will write down how much they bet pre-flop on a hand (in increments of the big blind), their pos with the hand and the amount of players in the game. I then refer to it later so that when they bet a certain amount I can put them on a range of hands if they follow the same patterns.What exactly do you write?If only my site were compatible with pokertracker...sigh

I tend to write down specific situations that I think are significant ... for instance, about 15 minutes ago I typed (pokerstars) "raises with A4s preflop" followed by "states: 'but they were suited' "and then maybe some general information like "jams the pot if the flop touches him what-so-ever"and maybe a "broke this guy twice in less than 30 minutes, sit down if you see him"That's my most recent note taking adventure, and I'm $25 richer from the .5/.10 NL tables. I can't believe he reloaded.

I just enjoy writing, that and I am obsessive compulsive. I feel like I must remember everything I ever encounter. EVER, MUST REMEMBER!Where is my red bull?I actually find that they are great for NL cash games. I constantly make notes on opponents so that I can figure out how to catch and break them. I do this so he does this so I will do this and so on and so forth. Its useful not for a particular hand but for how you can set him up for a big loss in the future.

May I suggest you date your notes?The reason why I say this, is because I remember playing with this one person who raised all of the time and played with garbage. I put a note by them.Then, a few months later, same person at the table and they played totally different. They really improved. Just a thought.

I think the benefits of writing notes are two-fold. Not only do you run the chance of encountering that person again and having an idea of how they play already, but it keeps your head in the game. If you're writing notes on how players are playing, then you are paying attention to the game and increase your chances of playing correctly at the table.Maybe three-fold: if I play at a table for a long time and am also playing other tables or reading this forum, I might forget who plays how and what. It helps that I wrote some notes from when I first sat down.

I personally take note of the type of hands they play in hold 'em. I make generalizations more often than I perhaps should, but if I see someone show down, for instance, T6s in middle position, I can reasonably presume they'll play any two suited cards, and I'll note that.In Omaha, it's slightly different. I'll pay attention to pre-flop betting tendencies (as at micro-limit, most players are primarily hold 'em players who don't understand the strategic differences of the game), see if people overvalue huge pocket pairs, and so on.

I love that. Seeing holdem players in omaha and pumping the pot the whole way down when theyre dealt two aces...I was actually dealt my best Omaha hand ever a few days ago10s 10d 10c 10hwhat are the odds?

Since I bounce around to various games and limits, I usually write down the limit and game that I was against the player. I then proceed to usually write down stuff like, "Will bet second pair aggressively all the way down" or "He underbets his top set in hopes of getting action against three opponents even on a draw heavy board."

marking patterns. I noticed an opponent pulling an intresting one in NL...Just an odd ball play. Bets the pot on the flop, then bets tiny on the turn then bets half the pot on the river...He had the nuts the whole time....Threw me off...It wasnt stones either, very susceptible to redraws

...man, it's a good thing.Especially if you tend to stick to the same limit/tourney buy-in, you're gonna see the same people quite often. And there really is nothing like KNOWING what other the guy has, doing the Eddie Towne see-through-the-cards-trick and raking a bunch of chips because of a note you took three weeks ago.Things I look for...some have been repeated above...1. PF betting tendencies. What they limp with, what they raise with, and where they are when they limp or raise. 2. If they always defend their blinds. Even if blinds are 10/20 and it's raised to 80, you still need a decent hand to stay in. If you see someone do this a few times, mark it down. They fall in love with suited connectors too easily.3. If they fold their blinds, or fold their PF limps to a sizeable PF raise behind them. They're disciplined players, and they're probably good ones to try blind-stealing against later in the tourney.4. If they always/never follow a PF raise with a big bet at the pot post-flop. No one ALWAYS hits...but some people ALWAYS bet. Trap them when it's right.5. The ace-raggers. Find them and destroy them.

sometimes i get really mad at blind stealers so i label them all as "douche bags", or a person who will never fold is automatically "bell payphone"
lmaoI multitable so much I only take notes when someone does something incredibly stupid to me. Like, calls my 2 bets cold with A3 o. Or bets on a flush draw headsup. ect
sometimes i get really mad at blind stealers so i label them all as "douche bags", or a person who will never fold is automatically "bell payphone"
doucheclown is much better, and a neverfolder should be labeled ATM Machine.
My girlfriends notes are very similar... Usually they consist of either ass, f*cker or d*ck. That's about it, lol.

Here are some examples of what I might have on a player:Limits: 2/4, 3/6, 1/2 NLPlays any ace, and any 2 suited cardsCalled 3 cold with A-J offNot overly aggressive, raises seldomlyCheck/raise on the turn with middle setNever bluffs at riverDefends blinds too muchWill call with any draw regardless of oddsI also have notes on some people with hands that they have shown down. Sometime this is a real eye opener. Try going back over your own hand histories, and see what you show down: I have plugged more of my own leaks this way.

My girlfriends notes are very similar... Usually they consist of either ass, f*cker or d*ck. That's about it, lol.
You're a lucky man. :D Hehehe.