i'm not to happy about dana white canceling the liddell silva fight i was looking forward to seeing that but hopefully that they can get talks going again
dana white didn't cancel the fight. UFC was more then ready to go ahead with it, DSE was dicking UFC around on it and used the hype so that they could get their product more in the UFC fans minds. Basically UFC got played by DSE. a bit of advice, don't ever listen to sherdog when it comes to UFC news, in fact, sherdog as a whole generally sucks and is filled with fanbois who don't know jack about MMA
I think Pride has a higher level of competition by far and provides for more entertaining fights. I watch UFC occasionally, but its not even on the same level as Pride.
get used to watching UFC, cause Pride could very well go under. THey lost their deal with the Fuji network and have to rely on PPV to sustain them. PPV is nowhere near as big in japan as it is in the US and they generally don't pull in big US PPV numbers. A lot of what made Pride the better organization is starting to be taken away as they have to make serious cut backs to stay afloat. If pride doesn't get another TV deal in Japan within the next 12-16 months, don't expect them to be around when late 2008 or 2009 rolls around
I think Pride has a higher level of competition by far and provides for more entertaining fights. I watch UFC occasionally, but its not even on the same level as Pride.
Agreed. The last UFC card was very weak top to bottom, Pride events are usually much much deeper

I watch all MMA, but I think Pride has the best fighters by far as far as depth goes. Also the Pride ring makes for more interesting fights, because you can't just rush someone and pin them against the cage like the UFC, so it makes for more technical fights, which I am a fan of. The UFC has really strong champions and solid top contenders, but not much else. This makes for a superfight or 2 and then no more interesting fights. I'm a fan of versatile and all-around fighters, but the fighters you see in the lower tier UFC events and KOTC and etc usually have 1 thing they do well and not much else. It's really not all that much fun watching a fight where a guy has no takedown defense or ground game to speak of. Usually that fighter will get taken down and eventually get mounted or give up their back and either get gnp'd or submitted. Really makes for crappy fights when you have matchups like that.

dana white didn't cancel the fight. UFC was more then ready to go ahead with it, DSE was dicking UFC around on it and used the hype so that they could get their product more in the UFC fans minds. Basically UFC got played by DSE. a bit of advice, don't ever listen to sherdog when it comes to UFC news, in fact, sherdog as a whole generally sucks and is filled with fanbois who don't know jack about MMAget used to watching UFC, cause Pride could very well go under. THey lost their deal with the Fuji network and have to rely on PPV to sustain them. PPV is nowhere near as big in japan as it is in the US and they generally don't pull in big US PPV numbers. A lot of what made Pride the better organization is starting to be taken away as they have to make serious cut backs to stay afloat. If pride doesn't get another TV deal in Japan within the next 12-16 months, don't expect them to be around when late 2008 or 2009 rolls around
We really don't know exactly what went on in the negotiations, but by far the UFC has the most to lose by putting on a fight between Liddell and Silva. If Liddell loses, that's their biggest name right there losing. If Silva loses, Pride still has a ton of great fighters and the loss wouldn't hurt their organization much like it would hurt the UFC. Silva also doesn't exactly have the biggest name in the States, so if he won, it would be like an unknown beating UFC's best/most marketable fighter, which certainly doesnt look good for the organization.

I love what UFC is doing with Spike TV. Bring shows like Ultimate Fighter and Ultimate Fight Night Live to cable to increase interest in MMA and UFC PPV.I blew me away that they set up Shamrock vs. Ortiz 3 on Spike. Should be good.

IWe really don't know exactly what went on in the negotiations, but by far the UFC has the most to lose by putting on a fight between Liddell and Silva. If Liddell loses, that's their biggest name right there losing. If Silva loses, Pride still has a ton of great fighters and the loss wouldn't hurt their organization much like it would hurt the UFC. Silva also doesn't exactly have the biggest name in the States, so if he won, it would be like an unknown beating UFC's best/most marketable fighter, which certainly doesnt look good for the organization.
according to dave meltzer, it was entirely on PRIDE's side that the deal fell through. It was basically DSE screwing around with UFC. DSE is in no position right now to be mucking around as they are almost fucked since they lost their Fuji Network deal due to a yakuza scandal. DSE thinks that they are in a position of power when they really aren't when it comes to teh US market. Only hardcore fans know about PRIDE in the US and UFC is the hot thing right now and hasn't even come close to its zenith(and already they are killing WWE PPV buy rates, and the WWE has been one of the biggest PPV attractions for a long time, and the UFC is coming close to top level boxing numbers), and the fact is no PRIDE PPV has done anywhere near the levels that UFC does for their B shows. PRIDE messing up this deal only hurts them in the long run since they are trying to run in america and have a show due to happen in Vegas in october. Really, PRIDE had the most to lose since they are trying to get a foot hold in this country whereas UFC is the dominant promotion

There was an article on the UFC website about the decline and possible future demise of pro boxing. They noted the PPV buy rate for the last boxing PPV was around 60,000 and UFC 62 was estimated around 500,000. They estimate the boxing rating going even lower as the boxing fans are aging and the young fans are tuning into MMA instead.