Why Do You Play Poker?

It really doesn't have to be "either/or" - but do you play poker because of the adrenaline rush of gambling, or is it a love of the game?For me it is really a game that seems custom made for me and allows me to exercise my competitive spirit. The mix of strategy, analysis, and interpersonal interaction is tailored to my personal strengths.I was reading the post of they guy who went on a binge of gambling, including betting on NFL pre-season games. This made me think of DN's willingness to make big time bets on seemingly anything. Many of the top pros seem like they'd happily bet on a coin toss. I think they are addicted to the gambling high - which like so many "drugs" requires increasingly bigger and stronger "hits" as you become accustomed to a given dosage of the drug.Any thoughts?

I couldn't care less about the gambling rush. Personally I'd play play money poker if the competition were serious.Poker is a game of skill but the luck factor and the nearly infinite combination of variables means that it's hard to measure your skill. Hence if you enjoy solving problems - game of skill - and think you have better poker skills than the average person you play against you're forced to play a lot to see if you can measure your skill advantage.Poker is so much fun because every time you see a hand it's a brand new situation because you haven't seen that hand with those players and that history and that action in front of you and those stack sizes before.A played a bit of blackjack in the past but pretty much no other gambling entices me much anymore.

Guest suerte79

Just Before I Get Flamed 4 This ... This is Suerte ... What-ever Number Append's my Name ... I Just Wanted 2 Say ... That ... Before I Get Flamed ... I Alway's Do ... Whether it Be By Britney Spear's ... Clay Aiken or Hilary Duff (Had 2 Give u a Shot out Right There H-Dog ... ) Personally I Don't Get 2 Much of A Rush From Gambling or Poker ... Everybody Get's a Big Rush After a Big Win or Something Like That...By The Way I Just Wanted 2 Say What's up 2 H-Dog ... 2 Put my 2 Cent's in It's A Love of The Game 4 Me ...Pauce

I play for the thrill of competition and the buzz of winning. Because the thrill of winning is greater when the prize is bigger, I generally play lots of satellite tournaments to bigger tournaments.If I were playing to make money this would be a terrible strategy...definately -EV. But I play poker becuase i enjoy it, and if that big win ever happened, it would be a bumper win!The poker classic is a good example. I had to play 3 SbG's back to back, and I still might come out of it with nothing but a good story. But that's the way I like it. The buzz of qualifing was worth the $10 entry for me, and the oportunity to go to maybe go to Barcelona and win big makes it worthwhile in my book.I also hate cash games....the grind just doesn't suit me at all.Ergo, I will never be a pro poker player.

A lot of reasons but the most important of them are freedom and flexability. I get to be my own boss, set my own hours, and take as many sick days as I want. Never been into the 9 to 5 cubicle lifestyle. Plus I can travel to Vegas and call it a business trip.

I couldn't care less about the gambling rush. Personally I'd play play money poker if the competition were serious.
So would I. For me, it's not about the money or about the risk of possibly losing it by betting. It's about trying to play as well as I can consistently (which lately has been pretty poorly).I grew up playing cards (not poker) almost every day as a child and teenager. Playing poker online gives me a chance to play even though I don't live near my family -- and don't have the chance to play "live" with family and friends regularly. The money is incidental. I do get a bit of a rush when I win, but the amount of money involved doesn't matter. (Though I might feel differently if I ever won a LOT of money.) And I don't bet on anything else. I don't bet on sports or play the lotery. I like putting money in slot machines -- but I know that is just a "payment" to get the chance to watch the little wheels go around.

For me, it's a bit of love of the game, gambling rush, and competitiveness. I'm a big gamer and I've competed with some of the best players in different genres, but to become the best, you have to play hundreds of hours and do the same thing over and over again. With poker, I can play hundreds of hours but it's never the same.

I'd be lying if i said i didnt enjoy gambling and the money aspect of poker. But mainly I just enjoy playing poker. The other week we had a little poker game with some friends over at the house and instead of using money we bet with a bunch of bacon we had laying around in the fridge lol. So yeah ill play poker weither its money involved or not. The money does make it more fun though.

Guest suerte79

Hooker's & Blow ... Michel ... Your A Funny Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really doesn't have to be "either/or" - but do you play poker because of the adrenaline rush of gambling, or is it a love of the game?For me it is really a game that seems custom made for me and allows me to exercise my competitive spirit. The mix of strategy, analysis, and interpersonal interaction is tailored to my personal strengths.I was reading the post of they guy who went on a binge of gambling, including betting on NFL pre-season games. This made me think of DN's willingness to make big time bets on seemingly anything. Many of the top pros seem like they'd happily bet on a coin toss. I think they are addicted to the gambling high - which like so many "drugs" requires increasingly bigger and stronger "hits" as you become accustomed to a given dosage of the drug.Any thoughts?
Right now I like the adrenaline rush of gambling but I'm trying, god help me I'm trying to get away from that and make good poker decisions because second to the adrenaline rush I love the game. I really do. My thoughts on why the Pro's gambling refers to my dilema. Playing smart, disciplined poker can get very boring. How often has Daniel talked about how bored he is of hold'em? So I think they look for the rush of the gamble in other ways. Also there is something to be said for having the money to engage in a frivolous bet. Being able to do it and think nothing of it is part of the thrill. -Bear.