Is Glenfiddich A Good Scotch Whiskey?

My grandfather just gave me an unopened 20-3- year old bottle of Scotch Whiskey. I have no idea about what makes a good or bad Scotch Whiskey, but this is a nice triangle shaped bottle of Glenfiddich Special Reserve. If you have any constructive input, please post. Thanks

20 Year fiddith isn't bad. It's not my favorite single malts because it has more of a bite to it from the first drink. The after taste is pretty good though, as its very dry, and thats how I like my scotches.If you want top of the line, go drink some Macallan 18 Single Malt ($165 for a 750ml)

My grandfather just gave me an unopened 20-3- year old bottle of Scotch Whiskey. I have no idea about what makes a good or bad Scotch Whiskey, but this is a nice triangle shaped bottle of Glenfiddich Special Reserve. If you have any constructive input, please post. Thanks
The special reserve is 12 year old scotch. Decent, but not extraordinary. The actual age of the bottle has nothing to do with it, the age is refering to how much time the whisky spent aging in oak barrels before it was put into a bottle. Once it's in glass it stops maturing and the aging process stops.In short, drink it and enjoy it.
The special reserve is 12 year old scotch. Decent, but not extraordinary. The actual age of the bottle has nothing to do with it, the age is refering to how much time the whisky spent aging in oak barrels before it was put into a bottle. Once it's in glass it stops maturing and the aging process stops.In short, drink it and enjoy it.
good luck with it, hope you like it strong.
20 Year fiddith isn't bad. It's not my favorite single malts because it has more of a bite to it from the first drink. The after taste is pretty good though, as its very dry, and thats how I like my scotches.If you want top of the line, go drink some Macallan 18 Single Malt ($165 for a 750ml)
dittoMacallan is my favorite single malt. Lagavulin is also good. And I prefer Glenfiddich to Glenlivet. My advice is to drink it neat. No ice; No water.
didnt know thatyou learn something new everyday. i dont drink though, so no surprise. guess i can tell my parents they can drink all the wine theyve kept for years now.
didnt know thatyou learn something new everyday. i dont drink though, so no surprise. guess i can tell my parents they can drink all the wine theyve kept for years now.
I think we should make this a new superthread. Just because it has a very cool title.
That doesn't apply to wine. Wine does continue to mature in the bottle. Scotch doesn't.Whoever suggested drinking it neat has that right IMO. A little water (clean, not chloriney city tap water) can be alright too. But never never ever add ice.If you're looking into starting on (single malt) scotch, I'd recomend starting with a Highland or a Speyside malt, as they are generally lighter and a little less challenging. Feel free to attack your taste buds with an Islay malt if you feel more adventurous.
I like Oban
I find Oban to be peaty like the Islay Scotches. I like Glen Ord for day to day and I have a very nice very expensive bottle of Glen Livet for special ocasions. I got it in Scotland (my family is from there) and it's from the companies own reserve. Unbelieveably smooth. I have also enjoyed Glenoranach which is aged in sherry casks. A bit of something different. Kudos to the suggestion of leaving out the ice. Ice is for blended whisky and bourbon, not single malts. God I love Scotch! Scotchie Scotchie Scotchie Scotch.-BearRemember, Scotch is a drink. A Scot is a person but we are both mighty tasty!
That doesn't apply to wine. Wine does continue to mature in the bottle. Scotch doesn't.Whoever suggested drinking it neat has that right IMO. A little water (clean, not chloriney city tap water) can be alright too. But never never ever add ice.If you're looking into starting on (single malt) scotch, I'd recomend starting with a Highland or a Speyside malt, as they are generally lighter and a little less challenging. Feel free to attack your taste buds with an Islay malt if you feel more adventurous.
Scotch can be complicated. Whoever said "don't add water" as a rule has some learning to do. Some scotches are DESIGNED to be consumed with a splash of water to bring out the proper flavor/balance. Never add ice, though. It waters it down the flavor, but more importantly it (obviously) lowers the temperature, which affects the flavor. Scotch is designed to be consumed at room temperature. I randomly met a kid who had a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue in the freezer, once, and I stole it and held it hostage (via the Brad Garrett mechanic in Seinfeld) until he promised he'd learn how to appreciate a $225 bottle of whiskey. The Macallan 18 is probably the best I've ever had, but when I'm a little less flush (which is always), I tend to treat myself to a nice bottle of Oban.Wang
I'm pretty sure that's what Ron Burgundy drinks in Anchorman, so I'd go for it.
This thread would amiss without a "I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, here it goes down, down into my belly..."

One thing I wanted to add for all the drink it neat or add a splash. I used to work in a bar and some old dude ordered the scotch with three drops of ice. I have since adopted this style it seems to add the perfect amount of water to the scotch. That is all Carry on.

I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen.

I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen.
Glengoyne (17yr) and Glenmorangie (sherry cask) and Highland Park are some of my favs.2 cubes.
hoping to see this quote is the only reason I opened this thread. Well done.I drink vodka as a rule.This place is dead anyway.
Scotch can be complicated. Whoever said "don't add water" as a rule has some learning to do. Some scotches are DESIGNED to be consumed with a splash of water to bring out the proper flavor/balance. Never add ice, though. It waters it down the flavor, but more importantly it (obviously) lowers the temperature, which affects the flavor. Scotch is designed to be consumed at room temperature. I randomly met a kid who had a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue in the freezer, once, and I stole it and held it hostage (via the Brad Garrett mechanic in Seinfeld) until he promised he'd learn how to appreciate a $225 bottle of whiskey. The Macallan 18 is probably the best I've ever had, but when I'm a little less flush (which is always), I tend to treat myself to a nice bottle of Oban.Wang
where are you finding this for 225? Everywhere I know that has it it is around 450
hoping to see this quote is the only reason I opened this thread. Well done.I drink vodka as a rule.This place is dead anyway.
Did you know that Scotch is actually just aged vodka?Most liquors are actually vodka.
where are you finding this for 225? Everywhere I know that has it it is around 450
You must be shopping in Crazy Land kiddo. Last time I bought it was like 2 years ago, and I think it ran me 215, but I bought it at a crappy liquor store. I bet if you google it, you can find it as low as 189.Wang