Advice For Playing Limit Cash Games

actually, that is corrrect.I've been employed every day of my life since I was 17.I've always had Health and Auto and Home insuranceWhy would I need to borrow from others?I've had Credit Cards for stuff like major car repairs if between checks when I was younger.it's not that rare to never need to borrow money from friends or family.
QFTI've never borrowed money from friends or family. I don't judge the people who do, but I never have either. I'm in graduate school right now so I don't make a lot of money, but I live ridiculously cheaply (or as cheaply as one can in Southern California) and have enough of a cushion where if my car breaks down or something else like that happens (knock wood) I won't have to borrow. Think about all the money you spend unnecessarily each month, and think about how your bank account would be if you didn't spend that.
thats pretty good. I say just wait cause there are times in life where unexpected things come up.
I"m 37 so Iv'e had some time for things to come upmy parents were really bad with money and borrowed several thousand from me. They also smoked. Probably learning from them is why I'll try to never pick up either habit.Part of the reason I picked my career was security; but of course, I may still be laid off. So that's where Emergency Fund and if necessary CreditCards and Retirement funds come into play. And, I'll either get a severance for several weeks or have Unemployment checks. Plus, I'm not above delivering Pizza for awhile.I hate debt.
I"m 37 so Iv'e had some time for things to come upmy parents were really bad with money and borrowed several thousand from me. They also smoked. Probably learning from them is why I'll try to never pick up either habit.Part of the reason I picked my career was security; but of course, I may still be laid off. So that's where Emergency Fund and if necessary CreditCards and Retirement funds come into play. And, I'll either get a severance for several weeks or have Unemployment checks. Plus, I'm not above delivering Pizza for awhile.I hate debt.
So you and medicalmj gonna kiss and make up now?
QFTI've never borrowed money from friends or family. I don't judge the people who do, but I never have either. I'm in graduate school right now so I don't make a lot of money, but I live ridiculously cheaply (or as cheaply as one can in Southern California) and have enough of a cushion where if my car breaks down or something else like that happens (knock wood) I won't have to borrow. Think about all the money you spend unnecessarily each month, and think about how your bank account would be if you didn't spend that.
I agree you should have money for something like a car breaking down. I'm not talking about situations like that. I'm talking about situations like i mentioned above. Your car breaking down sucks but at the end of the day its not something you really need to borrow money for cause you can always take the bus or just use a credit card to fix your car. I'm talking about more serious situations like losing a job or a family member becoming ill and needing money for the best treatment, thats the type of things im talking about when i say unexpected bills. Your car breaking down isnt a huge deal, its just a inconvience.

3/6 is the lowest limit around here so it really attracts the super donks....my advice.....watch how the table plays for a round and then play how ever you want....YOU WILL NOT FIND VERY SOFISTICATED PLAY...so have fun with it

3/6 is the lowest limit around here so it really attracts the super donks....my advice.....watch how the table plays for a round and then play how ever you want....YOU WILL NOT FIND VERY SOFISTICATED PLAY...so have fun with it
When I first started grinding it out at 3/6, it was only into my 6th session (about 40 hours in) that I saw the first sophisticated play - raising on the flop in late position with a flush draw to buy a free card. It blew my mind that I actually saw it in action.

at bay 101 2/4 is the lowest and i agree the lowest tables attract some really horrible players. Thats why im gonna check out the 3/6 instead, i'm hoping the play will be slightly better. I've only played cash games a couple times but when i did it was at bay 101 at the 2/4 tables and it hurt just way to much to watch some drunk guy sit down and bet 100% of his hands then actually hit something on the river the one or two times i had a good hand, it defintally put me on tilt thats for sure. This time around im expecting bad play and some bad beats, also like other people said it's a freeroll so no worries.

at bay 101 2/4 is the lowest and i agree the lowest tables attract some really horrible players. Thats why im gonna check out the 3/6 instead, i'm hoping the play will be slightly better. I've only played cash games a couple times but when i did it was at bay 101 at the 2/4 tables and it hurt just way to much to watch some drunk guy sit down and bet 100% of his hands then actually hit something on the river the one or two times i had a good hand, it defintally put me on tilt thats for sure. This time around im expecting bad play and some bad beats, also like other people said it's a freeroll so no worries.
Have fun dude...remember to say "ship it!" when you hit big hands and rake down a big pot.

You said it's not usually your style. So if your gonna play loose and try to run over the table like some advice has been.. I'd say to tell your friend beforehand. Otherwise since your basically on a freeroll.. he might get mad thinking your just throwing his money around. Tell him the strategy your going into the table with.

How has "Small Sakes Hold 'Em" not been mentioned in this thread. Buy it, read it, learn it.

You said it's not usually your style. So if your gonna play loose and try to run over the table like some advice has been.. I'd say to tell your friend beforehand. Otherwise since your basically on a freeroll.. he might get mad thinking your just throwing his money around. Tell him the strategy your going into the table with.
yes great advice, i already plan on telling him exactly how im going to play. I also warned him multiple times that if i lose every penny he isnt getting the money he would normally get this month and he is perfectly fine with that.
How has "Small Sakes Hold 'Em" not been mentioned in this thread. Buy it, read it, learn it.
I mentioned it :D in my very first replyedit: damn u Actuary :club:
Here's my advice. Since you're actually just freerolling, why not try to maximize your EV/fun by playing a high variance, high return style? Ie, always come in for a raise/reraise. Play any pair, any suited connector higher than 6-7, any 2 face cards, A-10+ for a raise/reraise, regardless of how many players are ahead of you. Also, if someone limps and you're on the button or CO, raise to isolate with any 2 cards and then follow up with bets on the flop and turn to steal it. And, if your game has a kill, sweet. If you're posting the kill, ALWAYS raise it if it's folded/limped to you. Else, always call.I know this strategy is a losing one in the long run if you're not skilled in post flop play, but if you're hitting some cards, man, you'll make a crapload. Once, I saw some dude win 20+ straight kill pots at 3/6 by being super aggressive and at the end of the 2+ orbits, he had won over $400. Of course, a lot of the time, you'll just bleed money, but who cares, it's a freeroll to you right?EDIT : Also, you'll get the pleasure of annoying the crap out of everyone at the table. 95% of the players are 3/6 are really weak and they really hate it when someone really loose/aggressive comes in and adds a crap ton of variance to their game.
this sounds like an amazing amount of fun

If you're playing at the 101, bring a snack, it might take several hours to get a 3/6 table. Or, you could do like some of the buttheads do, just walk the floor and when you see a guy get up broke, sit down before it gets to the brush. Seems like nobody gives a damn...except for the guys that were waiting for hours.I left the 101 with about 35 names on the list, went to Garden City, a few miles away, and sat immediately. Done this a few times.

hmm maybe ill check out garden city, i know where it's at but ive never played there. I had to what forever also when i was at bay 101 but that was for 2/4. I know how to get to garden city from my house but how do you get there coming from bay 101 ?

You should have fantasy enough to realise that there are situations where no man can be in full control of his life, and will need help from friends, wether it be money or something else.I respect your standards towards not borrowing, but you got to respect the fact that there is also positive reasons for borrowing money.
hmm maybe ill check out garden city, i know where it's at but ive never played there. I had to what forever also when i was at bay 101 but that was for 2/4. I know how to get to garden city from my house but how do you get there coming from bay 101 ?
101 NorthMontague Expy West which turns into San Tomas ExpyRight on Saratoga Ave and it's on your left after you cross Stevens Creek Blvd

Lemme get this straight: basically you're losing $300 here either way (either to your friend or the tables), and if you win you get nothing? If you win say $500 can that money be used to pay next month's installment? If not then just go nuts and make crazy plays, you're losing even if you win.

Here's my advice. Since you're actually just freerolling, why not try to maximize your EV/fun by playing a high variance, high return style? Ie, always come in for a raise/reraise. Play any pair, any suited connector higher than 6-7, any 2 face cards, A-10+ for a raise/reraise, regardless of how many players are ahead of you. Also, if someone limps and you're on the button or CO, raise to isolate with any 2 cards and then follow up with bets on the flop and turn to steal it. And, if your game has a kill, sweet. If you're posting the kill, ALWAYS raise it if it's folded/limped to you. Else, always call.I know this strategy is a losing one in the long run if you're not skilled in post flop play, but if you're hitting some cards, man, you'll make a crapload. Once, I saw some dude win 20+ straight kill pots at 3/6 by being super aggressive and at the end of the 2+ orbits, he had won over $400. Of course, a lot of the time, you'll just bleed money, but who cares, it's a freeroll to you right?EDIT : Also, you'll get the pleasure of annoying the crap out of everyone at the table. 95% of the players are 3/6 are really weak and they really hate it when someone really loose/aggressive comes in and adds a crap ton of variance to their game.
Can you change your avatar?
actually, that is corrrect.I've been employed every day of my life since I was 17.I've always had Health and Auto and Home insuranceWhy would I need to borrow from others?I've had Credit Cards for stuff like major car repairs if between checks when I was younger.it's not that rare to never need to borrow money from friends or family.
I borrow money but pay it back right away. It's not that I don't have the money but there are times when I just don't have the cash on me right there and then so i borrow. You've never even done that?
but you got to respect the fact that there is also positive reasons for borrowing money.
I'm unable to think of a situation I might face.But obviously, if you have less saved or don't have the proper insurances, then yeah.I initally was just making a half tongue in cheek comment because not to borrow at all was the best advice I could give for a quick "How to Play Limit" thread.
I borrow money but pay it back right away. It's not that I don't have the money but there are times when I just don't have the cash on me right there and then so i borrow. You've never even done that?
why would I need to?beside borrowing change to get a coke becasue I have no cash with me, I really can't think of anything. I don't live paycheck to paycheck and haven't for 20 years. I graduated from College with no loans and no debt of any kind. I subsequently bought a car and nice system for it and ran up some debts; so I'm no supoer star financial wizerd; but i keep my fixed expenses well below my income. Now i'm older, my wife works and we save money and have all the insurance one could need. we live below our means for the most part.