Official English Premier League Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that was a good victory for us. It was typical United really, when our backs were against the wall we produced the goods.Wenger getting sent off and standing in front of the United fans at the end was simply hilarious. Comedy moment of the season!

well i've just got back from reading and watched match of the day and i gotta say i think Arsenal were hard done by on Saturday and definitely deserved at least a point. Until the last 20 minutes when they were forced to chase the game, it appeared they were the only team with the class to create clear cut chances and United looked to be struggling with the tempo of Arsenal's football. It appears the Eduardo incident is gonna be a problem with referees now super-cautious to give any pens to us as the Fletcher foul on Arshavin was a nailed on penalty - if not for the sliding tackle that took him out then definitely for the handball to clear the ball out. Of course it doesnt help when Eboue then goes and dives a bit later on.As for the Wenger incident, it was funny to see him up there in front of the crowd but how he got sent off in the first place is beyond me. I defy anyone not to get pissed off when a goal is ruled out for offside 5 minutes into injury time in a game of that magnitude! Poor judgement from the 4th official.My ending comment is that it is pretty clear to me that Arsenal/United is still THE biggest game in the premiership in spite of our recent fortunes. The atmosphere and entertainment is much better than in any of the other games between the big 4 and despite a loss i still think we are well placed to challenge for the title this year - we beat United at home early doors last year after all and they then won the league.

Will probably be reduced to one window like the Roma/Mexes thing was. Chelsea shouldn't really be outraged or surprised though they have gotten caught doing stuff like this so often they were going to run into a club that wouldn't take their hush money eventually.

I find it funny this is being hailed as a 'strike one for the little guy' type decision, with Lens getting 130k euros... but FIFA getting 780k euros to line their fat pockets.This is a disgusting decision by the one of the world's most corrupt organizations. It stinks of bias and a general air of rash incompetence. Like no other club in the world is guilty of stuff like this??And while I'm bashing the football organizations, whilst I don't condone Eduardo's dive, UEFA banning him for 2 games is another disgusting decision. Sets an interesting precedent, that's for sure... Will they be retrospectively their golden boy, Messi, after his headbutt in the Super Cup final? Didn't think so.If these moronic football bodies want to gain any kind of respect or rationality, they have to start treating everybody the same. However, that seems to be something they're completely incapable of.

The thing is this isn't just a case of tapping up a player to get them to force a transfer. What Chelsea did here was induce a player to walk out on his contract illegally. This is the same thing that happened with Mexes and Roma who were punished with a 2 window ban reduced to 1 on appeal and FC Sion in Switzerland got a 2 window ban in April over the same thing with a Egyptian player. So other than it's not the same as tapping up a player (which Chelsea have also got several convictions for) and then the clubs agreeing a deal or that other clubs have been given the same punishment for committing the same crime, yes evil FIFA are picking on the poor innocent English clubs.

You really don't think that every big European club hasn't done what Chelsea have done? What they have done essentially amounts to tapping up. They've approached a player under contract with another club and done what they can to get him. I'm not talking about anti-Englishness either, which you've concluded. I am talking about any top European club, including Manchester United. We are part of the established elite, Chelsea perhaps are not, and I don't think we would have been handed this ban. FIFA consistently ride roughshod over any rulebook (not that there is one, that's the problem) and they make things up as they go along, seemingly whenever it suits them.I'm not suggesting, by the way, that what Chelsea have done is right. No club should be allowed to tap players up illegally. If a 2 window ban is the punishment (which sounds fair I guess), then I'd bet there's 20 or 30 clubs across the world now, maybe more, who should also be currently banned from any transfer dealings.Just in the same way that UEFA cannot suddenly wake up one morning and decide that Eduardo should be handed a retropective ban for diving without considering every single similar incident, not only that the referee didn't see, but that the referee got wrong. I don't like seeing players diving (in fact I hate it) and again, the ban is probably fair, but it's totally unjustified when you watch any kind of volume of football matches whether it's the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Champions League, whatever, and you see similar cases in every bloody match! It's time to set a hard and fast rule.. can we look at video evidence after the game for decisions the referee got wrong, or can't we?! The reason I bring up this issue as comparison, is because I see it as exactly the same type of selective arbitration, totally random and weirdly implemented, as this FIFA decision against Chelsea.Too many controlling bodies in football seem to be living in the dark ages. I'm not forgetting our own FA either, which is like a mini-FIFA in themselves, it's one rule for one club and one for another. They're spineless, and anyone who doesn't think it's riddled with corruption and bribery is kidding themselves. Chelsea ARE a scapegoat here, no question about it in my opinion. And FIFA are a disgusting and corrupt organization.

They should start somewhere, and if this is the beginning and they treat all clubs equally than I think it will be fine, if not just another piece of FIFA corruptness. Until Seth Blatter is gone it is going to continue to be run like an old boys network. Concacaf is such a huge and utter joke the way it is run, and FIFA does'nt do anything, god its so tilting I don't even want to think about it.

so we do epl picks every week on the site, and we are starting a new concept where if you have the best results out of the commenter picks, you get to write something on the site. check it out, submit your picks, that way when you own everyone else you can be heard. Week 5 EPL picks here, give us yours too

so we do epl picks every week on the site, and we are starting a new concept where if you have the best results out of the commenter picks, you get to write something on the site. check it out, submit your picks, that way when you own everyone else you can be heard. Week 5 EPL picks here, give us yours too
I like this, are you going to keep a running total?Who is Chamo, is that you? United have been abysmal? lol... we've won 3 out of our first 4 games, beating Arsenal in the process. That's a pretty good start for us, much better than last year in fact, we always start off slow. We're masters of pacing a season, which is the correct way to do it. Tottenham might have hit the ground running at 100mph, but we all know they're going to finish 5th at the very best. They don't have the squad to maintain their form until next May, not by a long shot. Ferdinand may be back for Saturday which would be a huge boost.. Valencia probably won't start, he was playing somewhere in South America this week so Fergie will rest him I imagine. But our midfield will be more defensive anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both Scholes and Fletcher start. Nope, we'll soak up any of their attacking nonsense, render Lennon useless and make Defoe look like a dwarf version of Emile Heskey. Modric out is terrible for them too.1-2 United is the correct score.I disagree with both of you thinkng City will lose too. At home especially, their defence will be rock solid this season. 1-1.Shall I post my full predictions tomorrow?United have been abysmal. :club:
I like this, are you going to keep a running total?Who is Chamo, is that you? United have been abysmal? lol... we've won 3 out of our first 4 games, beating Arsenal in the process. That's a pretty good start for us, much better than last year in fact, we always start off slow. We're masters of pacing a season, which is the correct way to do it. Tottenham might have hit the ground running at 100mph, but we all know they're going to finish 5th at the very best. They don't have the squad to maintain their form until next May, not by a long shot. Ferdinand may be back for Saturday which would be a huge boost.. Valencia probably won't start, he was playing somewhere in South America this week so Fergie will rest him I imagine. But our midfield will be more defensive anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both Scholes and Fletcher start. Nope, we'll soak up any of their attacking nonsense, render Lennon useless and make Defoe look like a dwarf version of Emile Heskey. Modric out is terrible for them too.1-2 United is the correct score.I disagree with both of you thinkng City will lose too. At home especially, their defence will be rock solid this season. 1-1.Shall I post my full predictions tomorrow?United have been abysmal. :club:
Nope, I'm Biggy. I think the United game will surprise you. If you wanna write commentary with your picks, feel free! The person who does the best in comments will get a spot on the front page, we are working on it now. It will change each week depending on who does the best, but if someone dominates, maybe we will just give them a permanent blurb spot.
Hey, I've submitted my predictions to your site.And I am preparing myself to be surprised on Saturday by an abysmal United performance. :club:
haha and i'm prepared to look like a fool. wouldn't be the first time :ts everybody else get in, give james some competition

united have been underwhelming thus far - victory over wigan aside. even against arsenal they were lucky to secure a win and were largely outplayed all over the pitch. it seems to me that fergie isnt sure of his best 11 or his best tactics now that ronaldo has gone. he'll pull it together because he is fergie but i wouldnt be surprised if they continued to drop points in iffy games like burnley for the next few games. having said that, spurs NEVER beat united so this weekend will be another united win.last year Arsenal lost to a newly promoted team (Hull) then beat united. United are this year's Arsenal - get prepared for a 4th place finish James :club:

Never in doubt. Totally dominated a Spurs side who've flattered to deceive so far, even after Scholes was harshly sent off. Rooney is filling the goals void/main attacking option that Ronaldo left... as expected. We're looking good.Have to watch MOTD tonight, to see the City/Arsenal match. Looks like a belter, and apparently there was a couple of controversial Adebayor moments.

Never in doubt. Totally dominated a Spurs side who've flattered to deceive so far, even after Scholes was harshly sent off. Rooney is filling the goals void/main attacking option that Ronaldo left... as expected. We're looking good.Have to watch MOTD tonight, to see the City/Arsenal match. Looks like a belter, and apparently there was a couple of controversial Adebayor moments.
adebayor should get at least a 3 match ban. you cant go stamping on someone's face like that - disgraceful. i have a feeling that city will continue running hot for 5 more games then we'll see the wheels fall off and sparky will be out at christmas.
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,1...5561311,00.htmlhttp://www.football365.com/john_nicholson/...5558673,00.htmlCouple of good articles there, and I fully agree with them. WTF is wrong with Adebayor celebrating like he did? Footballers get so much abuse it's unreal, and they aren't ever allowed to have any retribution of any sort. Gary Neville kissed the United badge in front of Liverpool fans and got a £5k fine. Joey Barton mooned the Everton fans and got a £2k fine.Why? Really, why should the footballers have to stand and ignore the scores of retarded thugs and idiots who sing racist and abusive chants, swear and gesticulate at the players, get drunk and start fighting and rioting?
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,1...5561311,00.htmlhttp://www.football365.com/john_nicholson/...5558673,00.htmlCouple of good articles there, and I fully agree with them. WTF is wrong with Adebayor celebrating like he did? Footballers get so much abuse it's unreal, and they aren't ever allowed to have any retribution of any sort. Gary Neville kissed the United badge in front of Liverpool fans and got a £5k fine. Joey Barton mooned the Everton fans and got a £2k fine.Why? Really, why should the footballers have to stand and ignore the scores of retarded thugs and idiots who sing racist and abusive chants, swear and gesticulate at the players, get drunk and start fighting and rioting?
I agree with a lot of it but there has been so many disasters with fans. If you are a professional in the game, incitement is something you cannot do. He did it.Its not his fault he plays infront of idiotic racist scum but it comes with the territory and if you can't handle it then go elsewhere.I thought his apology was great and completely understandable. Not sure about the whole face rake van persie thing though.
They are quite handsomly compensated for the abuse they have to take. Plus for 90% of players the "abuse" is mostly banter. The racist/family abuse is dispicable but in stadiums of thousands they are usually drowned out by the majority (not excusing it by any means). And Adebayor's behaviour was inflammatory and completely unnecessary. The fact is modern footballers are completely out of touch with society. They are 20something multi-millionaires who live in sheltered communities in mansions and the people watching them week in week out are spending their hard earned money, probably a couple months wages, so yes they get angry when ex-players gloat for new clubs or demand to leave.Seeing the Chelsea players run up a 6 figure bar tab when most of this country is in the midst of a recession makes it very, very hard to feel sorry for any of them.
They are quite handsomly compensated for the abuse they have to take.
I think this is a really bad way of looking at it. They aren't paid to take abuse, they are paid to play football. There is a factor of being role models and that yeah they have a responsibility to be more 'professional' than the fans, but the players should be allowed to give back a bit of it. The fans are there to watch football - the aren't there to abuse the players, and if they want to give a player some stick they should be able to respond to a simple goal celebration without violence.I also don't think the amount they are paid should change that. You're saying that if it wasn't Adebayor - if it was a kid from City's academy earning £200 a week who was being abused all game, he would be allowed to celebrate that way?