Official English Premier League Thread

Who's next then? Mancini? Hiddink? Rijkaard? Grant again? Mourinho again? According to the BBC fans want Zola or Di Matteo in charge. Obviously they haven't been paying attention to the fortunes of the current ex-players thrust into Premiership managerial jobs at the moment...
Looks like it could be Guus Hiddink, at least on a short term role while he carries on as manager of Russia. If he does really well, I assume they'll sort something more permanent out in the summer.I think he'd be experienced enough to steady the ship, and would be a good choice for Chelsea... But I'm surprised Rijkaard doesn't seem to figure in their managerial plans. They haven't approached him, apparently, but if I was a Chelsea fan he'd be my first choice... proven success, and respect, at a huge club, has won the CL (one of RA's priorities), exciting playing style and he's ready and available, making the whole deal/arrangement a lot more attractive than with someone who is already the manager of a national team.Chelsea have some very big, stubborn egos to handle in their dressing room... Drogba, Ballack, Anelka, Mikel to name a few.. It's an almost impossible job to be honest, dealing with all of those, which I think was Scolari's main problem. I don't suspect the next manager, whoever he is, will last longer than 18 months.
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it could be Guus Hiddink, at least on a short term role while he carries on as manager of Russia. If he does really well, I assume they'll sort something more permanent out in the summer.I think he'd be experienced enough to steady the ship, and would be a good choice for Chelsea... But I'm surprised Rijkaard doesn't seem to figure in their managerial plans. They haven't approached him, apparently, but if I was a Chelsea fan he'd be my first choice... proven success, and respect, at a huge club, has won the CL (one of RA's priorities), exciting playing style and he's ready and available, making the whole deal/arrangement a lot more attractive than with someone who is already the manager of a national team.Chelsea have some very big, stubborn egos to handle in their dressing room... Drogba, Ballack, Anelka, Mikel to name a few.. It's an almost impossible job to be honest, dealing with all of those, which I think was Scolari's main problem. I don't suspect the next manager, whoever he is, will last longer than 18 months.
Apparently Rijkaard wants to start a job in the summer rather than part way through a season. I don't see a problem with that. Hiddink would be a great choice, has a proven track record wherever he has worked. Only concern would be managing both Russia and Chelsea if he were to take the job up permanently, he has always said he will be Russia's manager going into the WC in SA.Oh and lol at Mikel having an ego. I mean, I'm sure he does but when you list him along with the other 3 you think, well at least they've earned theirs - what's Mikel ever done!?
Oh and lol at Mikel having an ego. I mean, I'm sure he does but when you list him along with the other 3 you think, well at least they've earned theirs - what's Mikel ever done!?
Have you forgotton about the whole transfer saga with him, Man Utd and Chelsea? When you surround yourself with the kind of people he does... serious ego problems. His demeanor on the pitch doesn't strike you as extremely selfish and egocentric? Hardly a team player, and not the kind of player I'd like representing my team at all.Give him a few years, you'll see. Very Anelka-esque.
Have you forgotton about the whole transfer saga with him, Man Utd and Chelsea? When you surround yourself with the kind of people he does... serious ego problems. His demeanor on the pitch doesn't strike you as extremely selfish and egocentric? Hardly a team player, and not the kind of player I'd like representing my team at all.Give him a few years, you'll see. Very Anelka-esque.
Not my point. My point is he doesn't deserve an ego! He hasn't won enough, done enough or been around long enough to deserve one!
Real Madrid?
Tbh, I can't recall his time at Madrid, it was before I was following European football. I'll look it up. Who ever gets a fair crack of the whip there though? Didn't Hiddink do well at Betis?
Who ever gets a fair crack of the whip there though?
So, you're saying he may struggle at a big club where you don't get given much time? :club: Ok... the problem with Chelsea at the moment seems to stem from RA. Which is fair enough, it's his club, he can do what he wants and he's invested a lot of money (a lot of it unwisely, in older players... not enough on a long term youth policy imo). Look at the managers who have been succesful in the Premiership. Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho... apart from being good at their job, their success has come from their ability to be in complete control of everything at the club for a sustained period of time. In fact, when RA started getting too involved and decided he wanted to buy Shevchenko and Ballack, that signalled the decline of Mourinho, who became a little disillusioned with his role. The success at Aston Villa this season has been largely attributed to Martin O'Neil having complete control. Benitez has also spoken about that at Liverpool... he knows it's important that the owners don't get overly involved in the day-to-day running of the club.RA now clearly likes to have a very strong hold over the management (moreso than he did when he took over, strangely) and Hiddink is another manager who, imo, will be in his pocket. They're friends etc, and will Hiddink have the ability to say 'No, I want to do it this way Roman'?... I doubt it. Point is, it doesn't matter how good the manager is, they could have Lippi, Ferguson, Capello, anyone... if they are not free to do their job, they'll find it hard to manage and gain respect/authority at a club like Chelsea, already full of 'stars' and apparently not much money to build their own team.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...090210-1353.htmObviously biased, but not without merit. And it's good to see that not everyone hates Rafa.
I don't know what he's talking about asking why United don't get accused of relying on Ronaldo and Rooney... we get that all the time, even though we win without them.I think Liverpool need to stop being so paranoid about everything... And surely the reason people like to try to wind up Benitez is because it's so damn funny when he cracks up! It's hilarious.
I don't know what he's talking about asking why United don't get accused of relying on Ronaldo and Rooney... we get that all the time, even though we win without them.I think Liverpool need to stop being so paranoid about everything... And surely the reason people like to try to wind up Benitez is because it's so damn funny when he cracks up! It's hilarious.
Even if United do get accused of it, I see the "Gerrard FC" comments non-stop. I would argue that Liverpool get those accusations far more often. And FTR, I do think United have a much better supporting cast than Liverpool at this point. I just like to see Liverpool get a little credit for their performance thus far, instead of the constant digs about them being a poorly managed, lucky, one (or two) man team.I'll also use this time to make a little confession- Rooney is one of my favorite players in the world.
Holy shit, awesome skill by Robinho, against Brazil... great goal!
i've just seen showboat on soccer am this morning and robinho looked incredible in this game. obv i didnt see any of the actual game but he featured about 6 times in the one match. seemed like the robinho show pretty much!

Manchester United League form:Nov 15th - Stoke (h) 5-0Nov 22nd - Villa (a) 0-0Nov 30th - Man City (a) 1-0Dec 6th - S'Land (h) 1-0Dec 13th - Spurs (a) 0-0Dec 26th - Stoke (a) 1-0Dec 29th - M'brough (h) 1-0Jan 11th - Chelsea (h) 3-0Jan 14th - Wigan (h) 1-0Jan 17th - Bolton (a) 1-0Jan 27th - WBA (a) 5-0Jan 31st - Everton (h) 1-0Feb 8th - West Ham (a) 1-0Feb 18th - Fulham (h) 3-0Untouchable.

Manchester United League form:Nov 15th - Stoke (h) 5-0Nov 22nd - Villa (a) 0-0Nov 30th - Man City (a) 1-0Dec 6th - S'Land (h) 1-0Dec 13th - Spurs (a) 0-0Dec 26th - Stoke (a) 1-0Dec 29th - M'brough (h) 1-0Jan 11th - Chelsea (h) 3-0Jan 14th - Wigan (h) 1-0Jan 17th - Bolton (a) 1-0Jan 27th - WBA (a) 5-0Jan 31st - Everton (h) 1-0Feb 8th - West Ham (a) 1-0Feb 18th - Fulham (h) 3-0Untouchable.
can you post the game before the stoke game please?! ty ty
Without Alonso, without Gerrard and with Torres still only looking about 80% fit, you're looking for match-winners, and you can't see anyone. Liverpool brought on El Zhar, and yesterday, Man United brought on Carlos Tevez. That's the difference between the best and second best teams in this division."BBC Radio 5 Live's Mark Lawrenson

Liverpool have taken till February for their annual mid season collapse. Surely Man U can't throw it away now? Then again that was said in '98 when they were 12 points (or there abouts) clear and lost the title.

Sigh finally Newcastle put in a performance that I'm not ashamed of and we give away such a cheap cheap goal.
I read it on the BBC website, sounded comical.
I read it on the BBC website, sounded comical.
http://www.101greatgoals.com/I think I've mentioned this site before, you probably don't need it LJ as you have MOTD etc, but it has basically every european football matches highlights. Just click on the highlighted ones.It might be useful for our yank friends

"Oh Vela, Vela, our Mexican superstar, he's better than Cantona, Oh Vela, Vela"It'll never catch on. The kid's very good though.