Official English Premier League Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adebayor has to be one of the most over-rated strikers in the history of the Premiership.I have no clue why Wenger sticks by him so much, he consistently misses great chances given to him by Arsenal's more creative players, his work ethic/commitment is questionable and he looks lost in the system.. always looks like he's playing as a lone striker.If Arsenal took more of their chances, they'd be up there challenging with the rest of us. I know Wenger and Arsenal like to stick to budgets, esp at the moment, but they need Arshavin... it'd be worth it, because they'll lose out a ton of money if they don't qualify for the Champions League. Never mind the possibility of losing more players in the summer if they don't qualify.

Liverpool got a tremendous break. They needed something good to go their way and the ref handed them 3 points against Chelsea. James it just is not that unlikely that Pool could regain the momentum especially if Torres catches fire.Lots of time left.

It took a few looks, but I've come to the conclusion that Riley was correct. His studs were perpendicular to the ground. He clipped the top of the ball, then his studs made contact with Alonso's foot/ankle.I can't argue with the red. I wouldn't argue if it was just a yellow either. It was very close.

It took a few looks, but I've come to the conclusion that Riley was correct. His studs were perpendicular to the ground. He clipped the top of the ball, then his studs made contact with Alonso's foot/ankle.I can't argue with the red. I wouldn't argue if it was just a yellow either. It was very close.
There's no way that should have been a red card, to be fair. I don't see it as a yellow either, maybe not even a foul at all imo. Bosingwa, on the other hand, should have been sent off for this - Is the linesman blind??

I think it was an "orange" card. Yellow or red was acceptable.Thats a very dangerous position for Lampard to be in. Studs up, knee locked.As for the Bowsingwa incident. The AR was looking straight down at the ball. Not surprised he missed it.

I think it was an "orange" card. Yellow or red was acceptable.Thats a very dangerous position for Lampard to be in. Studs up, knee locked.As for the Bowsingwa incident. The AR was looking straight down at the ball. Not surprised he missed it.
Lampard got the ball. It's the very definition of "not a foul". If anything Alonso follows through dangerously.And Bosingwa lost his brain, maybe he didn't want to play the next few games and thought the best way was to do a blatant kick I can't believe neither ref or ass ref saw anything.
Lampard got the ball. It's the very definition of "not a foul". If anything Alonso follows through dangerously.
Ah. The myth that won't die. Please find in the laws of the game where it says that getting the ball first means there can be no foul?Apparently the AR did see the Bosingwa incident which means the FA can't take any action.
Ah. The myth that won't die. Please find in the laws of the game where it says that getting the ball first means there can be no foul?Apparently the AR did see the Bosingwa incident which means the FA can't take any action.
Please find the law that says getting the ball first and possibly taking the player is a foul. Surely this would bring up far too many "gret areas" during a game.I would always interpret the rule that it is not a foul if the tackling player wins the ball first, otherwise there would be no flow in a football match

I'll add this. At full speed, it looks like a clear send off to me. On the slow motion replays, there is some doubt. But Riley only gets to see it in full speed.

What a let-down by Man City. Where was the last minute £500m signing of Messi?? Pah! Rubbish... I don't understand their logic though, they were prepared to pay £100m+ for Kaka, but havn't seemed to make any other bids at all for anything like that, for anyone else. There are quite a few of those 'superstar' world players on his level. I guess they're waiting until the summer, but I was expecting another huge signing to follow Robinho.Also surprised that Liverpool would let Keane go at this stage. Not sure how selling a good striker will help them win the league, but I'm quite happy about it personally. If they get an injury or two, this will leave them without one option, so that's fine. Quite cheap too, comparitively... Spurs signed Defoe for about £6m MORE than they sold him, but got Keane for £8m LESS... how does this work?? Bad business by Liverpool, imo.The Arshavin signing by Arsenal (assuming it's gone through ok), is very good.

Apparently the AR did see the Bosingwa incident which means the FA can't take any action.
Exactly. How can he see that and not tell the ref it's a red card? He should be banned from officiating any Premier League games ever again... you just can't see something so blatent and not get it right.As for Lampard, he'll probably get off in the appeal, so I have a feeling the FA will also disagree with your assumption that it was a red card. I hope he does get off actually (even as a Utd fan), because it just wasn't a red.

The funny thing about the Lampard card was Gerrard almost did the same tackle in the same area two minutes before and then screamed at the ref when the foul was given. Alonso and Lampard have history, Lampard broke his Alonso's ankle in a tackle where he got booked in 2005 and Lampard says Alonso "has that look in his eye when ever we meet, there is always jostling and shoving and some kind of incident"Gerrard and Lampard should have both been given yellows.Keane was obviously a pawn in the Liverpool politics, apparently Benitez was told he would have enough for Barry when he bought Keane, then they told him nope. Keane scored that cracker against Arsenal, then two goals against Bolton and was then dropped for Newcastle away without Torres playing. At which time Benitez started kicking up the fuss about his contract.As James said, as a Man United fan I would be delighted, Liverpool have to have Torres wrapped up in cotton wool. Unless they plan on winning the league with Kuyt and N'gog upfront.

What a let-down by Man City. Where was the last minute £500m signing of Messi?? Pah! Rubbish... I don't understand their logic though, they were prepared to pay £100m+ for Kaka, but havn't seemed to make any other bids at all for anything like that, for anyone else. There are quite a few of those 'superstar' world players on his level.
Messi, Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Torres, Ribery (honourable mention for Aguero, but that might be too soon). I can't think of any other "superstars" at the peak of their career. I think Man City saw Kaka as the only realistic superstar target.At the time of the bid Milan were not in the Serie A title picture, they are now as it happens. All the others were battling for their respective leagues and would not leave at this point for a re-building project.Milan are not in the CL, obviously playing in that has massive allure for players so all the guys playing in it wouldn't leave their clubs while they had a shot of winning.Milan are probably the least finacially stable (I have no evidence for this, just an assumption that they aren't as well off as Man U, Barca, Liverpool etc) and need money for transfers. As it stands they have 2 players under 29 in their starting line-up and very few young players in their squad at all, the money would have allowed them to re-build.Anyway, that's my reasoning for why Man City only attempted one major coup in January, the summer will be a different story...Also, does anyone feel sorry for Joe Hart? Obviously Given is a great keeper, but Hart hasn't done anything wrong. Buffon or Casillas could be behind that defence and it wouldn't make a difference.

Wow, something I just learnt... any foreign player who has played in England for 5 years, could play for England (as long as they havn't played for their own country in that time).Carlo Cudicini, for example, could play for England.

Milan are not in the CL, obviously playing in that has massive allure for players so all the guys playing in it wouldn't leave their clubs while they had a shot of winning.
Good point, I guess the CL makes it much more difficult for them to sign anyone in January. I just had a feeling they'd pull something crazy off before the window closed, after the whole Kaka saga and how much they showed they were ready to spend, right now.
Good point, I guess the CL makes it much more difficult for them to sign anyone in January. I just had a feeling they'd pull something crazy off before the window closed, after the whole Kaka saga and how much they showed they were ready to spend, right now.
Why would anyone want to join City? The only reason they got Robinho was that he wanted out of Real and no one else could afford him, even Chelsea aren't chucking money about now Roman has lost interest. As much as City might like to think they can just chuck the cash about and attract anyone lets face facts here, they aren't even in the UEFA cup they are in a relegation battle and can barely fill their council flat of a stadium. As mercenary as players are these days the top 0.00001% mostly have some class and want to be playing on the biggest stage. It's your Scott Parker's on £60k a week or whatever moronic amount West Ham's Icelandic owners are paying him (no wonder their banks all tanked if they run them the way they've run a football club) that will be all City can attract (see Bellamy). Medicore players on inflated wages that have no desire to try and better themselves.

I think you're half-right, QED. It may take City's new owners longer than they expected to get the kind of team they desire. They do have one 'magnet' there already, in Robinho... i.e - the more star players that go there, the more will follow, as they'll see genuine possibilities of success.Regarding the money, we just can't say what motivates players... we'd have to know them individually to really know what drives them. I'd agree that there will be many of the top players who are motivated more by playing for a traditionally big club, with history and prestige etc.However... we are talking almost unimaginable weekly wages here. Not just £100k, or even double that, but £0.5M a week, which is what they offered Kaka. I'd love it if player after player just rejected City, and who knows maybe they will... but we'll have to wait until the summer to see what transpires.

I'm wondering if all these overturned red cards will cost England the world cup. FIFA specifically says a send off can not be downgraded or overturned unless it was mistaken identity and the sent off player must be suspended for at least one match. FIFA have gotten on the FA before about this. Every time they overturn a red card, they are giving FIFA the middle finger.

F the EPL....the game of the weekend is happening right now in the Coca Cola Championship.....Sheff Utd vs. Sheff Wed. United losing 2-1 with half an hour left. It's been 94 years since Wednesday have done the season double against us, and I'll be pissed if that ends today.

Is everyone AWOL tonight? I thought when I signed on this would be abuzz with Scolari's sacking. Ah well.Who's next then? Mancini? Hiddink? Rijkaard? Grant again? Mourinho again? According to the BBC fans want Zola or Di Matteo in charge. Obviously they haven't been paying attention to the fortunes of the current ex-players thrust into Premiership managerial jobs at the moment...

Oh, Rafa Benitez. Starts Ngog and Babel up front and somehow gets away with it helped by a flurry of late goals and some Torres magic.I just dont get it.