Official English Premier League Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top dog currently is (arguably) the EPL (English Premier League). Unlike NA sports, the regular season is the most important trophy -- as admission and seeding into bonus championships such as the Champions League, UEFA, FA Cup, etc... are based on the previous year's campaign and actually run concurrently with the domestic schedule.Above and beyond the domestic leagues the most prestigious is the Champions League; there the top team(s) from each euro league are entered into a massive competition. Where teams get seeded into the competition (and in what round they enter) is calculated with a crazy matrix of past successes and country weighting. As for the relegation system in England there are 4 divisions (other countries generally have 2+). At the end of each season the bottom 3 teams are sent down and 3 teams are promoted, so it's possible to be kicked out of the national league play back into a regional league.
So the Champions League will be played independently but during the season this year, based on last year's results? If that's the case, what about players changing teams? There would be different players playing for a team according to results they had nothing to do with.
So the Champions League will be played independently but during the season this year, based on last year's results? If that's the case, what about players changing teams? There would be different players playing for a team according to results they had nothing to do with.
Yup -- that's why there's tons of movement during the off-season as players jockey to be on teams that play in the Champ's League. Also, once a player plays a single CL game they are "cup tied" to that team and can't participate again that season if they are transfered.
Regarding the relegation system, you're correct that 3 go up, 3 go down... but all four Leagues (Premier, Championship and League 1 + 2) are National Leagues, not regional.
That's what I meant.. if you are punted out of the last div (and out of "league" play) there are still leagues out there...

quote name='Fenxis' date='Sunday, August 12th, 2007, 7:02 AM' post='2074104']That's what I meant.. if you are punted out of the last div (and out of "league" play) there are still leagues out there...If you finish bottom two of division two national league you now drop into the newly re-named "Blue Square" conference.

How do you watch games from the US? Can't find any info about it.
Fox Sports has a channel where I get the games (part of my cable package), and ESPN usually plays a game of the week type deal on Wednesday afternoons (replay from a sat/sun game), and thats about all I got.
No, we (Liverpool) do not have Michael Owen, but we just signed Fernando Torres ( a sick striker from Spain). We were also just bought by two US businessmen who have money, which is always good. Also, we have Steven Gerrard who is my God.
All hail Gerrard. Pool was one striker short last year so hopefully Torres fits the bill. I wonder how all these teams missed out on Berbatov last year.Go Liverpool!

I cannot for the life of me understand Ferguson's signings this summer. We (United) had a good squad last season, where the only real areas where you could say we needed strengthening were attack and defence. So, what does he do? Goes out and buys 3 midfielders and spends a RIDICULOUS amount of money doing so. Should have bought an out and out striker, like Torres... a target man who can also take people on and score.Both Rooney and Tevez like to drop back, leaving us with no-one to aim for. Saha is alwayd injured, so he's not a consistent option either. Same with Solskjaer. And how did he not learn from last season, that if either Vidic or Ferdinand get injured, our defence if f'ked? How Wes Brown is still a United player is beyond me.Tevez - Totally unnecessary. Plays the same role as Rooney.Hargreaves - Seriously over priced. Money should have been spent on 2 quality defenders.Nani - Just an extravagent buy.Anderson - Let's see more of him then.Rant over. Jesus Christ!

we don't need a bloody target man. The system that we play renders a target man useless and just hampers the flow of play. Tevez is perfect for it because him and Rooney can be interchangable during the run of play when they will be on the pitch with each other. Nani will be able to provide extra width in the midfield while also being able to go forward. Anderson will end up replacing scholes and Hargreaves is there to free up carrick so that carrick doesn't have to play the holding role he played last year. Getting a target man is just dumb, why do you think that Ruud got soldnot getting the Defenders was more due to Pique and Jonny Evans emerging also.I do agree though that we need another striker, but we need someone more like anelka, NOT A TARGET MAN

Liverpool got anus-rammed against Chelsea. I cannot believe a penalty was given for that crap. Fernando Torres sure looked good.....
I only saw the first half, and haven't seen any replays of the penalty, but I'll take your word that it was bullshit.Also, Torres looked great, just what I wanted.
Fox Sports has a channel where I get the games (part of my cable package), and ESPN usually plays a game of the week type deal on Wednesday afternoons (replay from a sat/sun game), and thats about all I got.
I got America's top 180 package for Dish Network and the have GOLTV channel 407, and Setanta channel 406. Setanta plays more premier league games then Fox Soccer Channel does.
I got America's top 180 package for Dish Network and the have GOLTV channel 407, and Setanta channel 406. Setanta plays more premier league games then Fox Soccer Channel does.
I get GOL and FSC....both play lots of games.....the best is the english league review show on FSC Sundays at 8pm....
  • 3 weeks later...
OK I guess that the Setanta channel was just a month long freebie or something so thats not available in America's top 180 package.