^ max tables on pp

I wish I knew how to link past threads, but we had a great discussion on this a while back. It was in the past month if you feel like doing some digging

The swings are no longer as bad as they used to be since the blinds were changed. Really the key to beating a 6 max table is the same as beating any other. If the tables loose play tight and aggressive, if its tight play loose.

The swings are no longer as bad as they used to  be since the blinds were changed.  Really the key to beating a 6 max table is the same as beating any other.  If the tables loose play tight and aggressive, if its tight play loose.
He probably means limit.
If hes talking limit the swings cant be that bad
if you think the swings can't be thtat bad then you should give it a try, really give it a try

the swings on 6 max are pretty drastic, and the obvious tight on loose loose on tight theory doesn't really work because those tables are never really tight but not always nutball, I call it loose creative. You have to play connectors suited or not, k high flush draws and suited connectors are more valuable than sitting there waiting for the big pp. you are blinding every five hands so obviously you play cards that can flop the nuts, i dont mean q 3 os flopping qq3 but 10 9 flop an 87 bet it hard. Its definately a lot more gamble than a full table, but since there are more people in the hands every hand you have to be thinking about bigger hands than top pair. (just my theory)

I personally don't prefer 6-handed play, because my style of limit hold'em is more conducive to folding bad cards and playing good cards fast. When the blinds come around every 4 hands instead of every 8 hands, you have to win more small pots with marginal holdings just to stay above even. For this reason, i.e. when you're trying to win a marginal pot and run into someone playing legitimate cards, you're going to get in trouble.So for those reasons, obviously the variance and the volatility of 6-handed LHE are much higher than the variance and volatility of 10-handed LHE. I believe limit is a game where the most prepared player should win, and playing in a game that forces me to occassionally overplay marginal hands to stay ahead is counter-intuitive of MY game. That's why I don't play 6-handed anymore.And yes, the swings are definitely brutal. I would dare to postulate this: Suppose there are two players of equal expectations of profitability. One plays 100 dollar NL ring games and the other plays 3/6 limit ring games (approximately the same bankroll is needed). I believe that if both of those players suddenly dropped to 6-handed only tables, the LIMIT player would get higher swings. The reason for this is that position is so important to outplaying people pre- and post-flop in NL that a skilled NL player is used to taking advantage of those situations. The limit player is not, because he's used to betting/raising with winners or draws to winners.

You will grow to love shorthanded play. You are forced to make more decisions. Better players rise to the top because they make more correct decisions. So it's really where the money is at.Plus, you got all the action you can handle 4-tabling 6-max.PS. Only the short-term variance is higher (I believe).

I personally don't prefer 6-handed play, because my style of limit hold'em is more conducive to folding bad cards and playing good cards fast.  When the blinds come around every 4 hands instead of every 8 hands, you have to win more small pots with marginal holdings just to stay above even.  For this reason, i.e. when you're trying to win a marginal pot and run into someone playing legitimate cards, you're going to get in trouble.So for those reasons, obviously the variance and the volatility of 6-handed LHE are much higher than the variance and volatility of 10-handed LHE.  I believe limit is a game where the most prepared player should win, and playing in a game that forces me to occassionally overplay marginal hands to stay ahead is counter-intuitive of MY game.  That's why I don't play 6-handed anymore.And yes, the swings are definitely brutal.  I would dare to postulate this:  Suppose there are two players of equal expectations of profitability.  One plays 100 dollar NL ring games and the other plays 3/6 limit ring games (approximately the same bankroll is needed).  I believe that if both of those players suddenly dropped to 6-handed only tables, the LIMIT player would get higher swings.  The reason for this is that position is so important to outplaying people pre- and post-flop in NL that a skilled NL player is used to taking advantage of those situations.  The limit player is not, because he's used to betting/raising with winners or draws to winners.
I'll dare to pose another theory- The Limit playe will suffer higher swings because the blinds are a lot higher........Ice

Don't forget that SH play is far, far worse than ring play typically. Don't fall into the trap of loosening up a great deal; shift your requirements towards high card strength, and value position more, but don't go in with garbage or drawing hands. You still need to play a tight aggressive game with proper standards. The thing is, you get a lot more calldowns from mid pairs, etc, and you have to be willing to make some of those yourself.6-max made Stars feel like Party ;)The elevation in short term variance is the result of the increased number of decisions and also the LAGgier nature of games.Another thing: You'd be amazed how different the play is at a 6-max table and a full ring game with 3 empty seats, making it 7-handed. This is where the enhanced beatability comes from. Most people play 6-max like it's 3-handed.

You have to play connectors suited or not, k high flush draws and suited connectors are more valuable than sitting there waiting for the big pp.Amazing you have money left. Yay for good variance swings, huh?