I always read this board but this is my first post. I play poker everynight. I have never believed in "running bad" , but for the past week or two I seem to not be able to win when I put my money in good. Im not trying to complain I'm just trying to find out how some of you get out of a bad run, or how to handle it.

I always read this board but this is my first post. I play poker everynight. I have never believed in "running bad" , but for the past week or two I seem to not be able to win when I put my money in good. Im not trying to complain I'm just trying to find out how some of you get out of a bad run, or how to handle it.
Easiest way to handle a downswing is to have a complete understanding of the theory of poker, and of probability, and the difference between short and long run, etc.Have a full understanding of WHY you are winning in the long run, and short run losses won't phase you (as much).- Zach
Allthough I have not been able to do this well the best thing is to take a break for a day or so. Thats probably why im broke. I think Daniel said that one phil iveys best qualities is that he never has a problem quitting when he is losing.
Of course you never believed in running bad, since you've apparently never run bad. If you play long enough, that "week or two" will turn into 6 months or so. Then you'll truly be a believer.
Of course you never believed in running bad, since you've apparently never run bad. If you play long enough, that "week or two" will turn into 6 months or so. Then you'll truly be a believer.
I'm a believer

The key is to minimize or eliminate the emotional response to winning or losing a pot and/or session.If you can do this, the fall of the cards will not affect your subsequent play at all.If you find you are getting frustrated, take a half hour break and then play a different game at a different site.For example, when I get frustated I play some low limit stud or badugi, instead on LHE and NLHE (which are my normal games). I find that this cleanses out the frustration. The fact that these other games require a different type of approach helps me to stop thinking about the bad beats I've suffered.

So...Sklanskys Theory of poker is a very effective tool?
Haven't read it.I have it, but I'd rather play than read. Lol.Either way, I just meant understanding the probabilities, and that long run, there is no such thing as luck, etc.And understand that when you make good plays, and less mistakes than the competition, you are winning, even if you lose money in a particular session, or week, or month.