What Is Your Current Bankroll Sitting At?

Current Bankroll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current bankroll sitting at?

• Under $500
    • $501 - $2,000
    • $2,001 - $5,000
    • $5,001 - $10,000
    • $10,001 - $25,000
    • $25,001 - $50,000
    • $50,001 - $100,000
    • More than $100k

My Bankroll is in the 5k+ range. It would be higher, but I intentionally take out money to keep me from playing too high since I generally suck at mid-limit poker.

Am I the only person who keeps most of his bankroll off of poker sites? Think how much interest the sites are making off of lazy people.
I keep most of my BR in neteller. Not because I care about the interest or being scammed. But, because I bonus whore a couple sites and want to be ready for a reload bonus. If I were doing this for a living, I'd probably keep as much of it as possible in neteller. Some of my friends have had money disappear from firepay and party. It's rare, it could happen to neteller too. But, I haven't heard of a legit problem with neteller yet.-M
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person who keeps most of his bankroll off of poker sites? Think how much interest the sites are making off of lazy people.
i recently opened an online Emigrant savings account so i could earn interest on part of my bankroll. their current rate is 5.15% APR, so it adds up.
Just because I'm nosy and curious. I guess I wanted to post this for inspiration being a rookie in the poker world. I was reading some of the goals for August and it looks like there are some members who are doing very well. Of course that's bound to happen in a community of this size. But I started from scratch a few months ago and have built up a very modest bankroll from a $50 deposit playing lower limits (minus a few cash outs). But it's encouraging to hear of the success of others, which is the purpose for my poll. Feel free to share if you'd like.Thanks!EDIT: I just realize I posted this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move to General Chat. Sorry/Thanks!
I've won a pretty satisfying amount this year, most of the profit coming from live games. My win rate online just sucks, and I had a really tough June and part of July, but everything has straightened out again. (If I could only learn to not rely on the power of Big Slick). BTW, I don't have a "bankroll." I endlessly skim my "bankroll" for projects like finishing my basement and making payments on my BRAND NEW TRUCK (lol, I just had to stick it in). Since I have a good job, I always use that cash for the next buy-in. And I keep track of TOTAL performance (profit/loss) in a simple columnar book (office depot for $1.29). I know where I'm at, and I'm not talking. Oh, and there's always the $50 I have to throw at my wife when I have a big night for letting me out of the house when the kids go to bed ... which I consider part of the cost of doing business.

I broke my ankle in June so I am off work till September. So I played on Stars because I had nothing to do. Well I started with 50 bucks then by the end of the week I had 500. I was playing a three and five dollar buyin tourney and got to the final table at both. I play them alot but never been to the final. It paid out good for the buyin. Then I was playing some 50/1NL cash and made some more, got it to 500 and then it went downhill. In two weeks I lost all of what I won. Its sounds crazy but I had TOO much time on my hands cause I couldnt walk. I was playing all kinds of satellites to the big Sunday Million and to the WSOP. Thats where I lost most of my money. It makes me mad that I lost it like that because I couldnt walk away or hop away from the computer. I should have had better judgement to quit for a while but being in the house that long without walking I just couldnt get away. Im going to get back to basics and fight my way back up.

Yeah, I can only imagine how much my $360 bankroll makes them! :club:(Also, updated BR is $360 :D)
Update 2:BR = $693 :D aka almost tripled in 6 days.EDIT - Just got limp reraised by some dude with AJo when I had QQ, he donk pushed a J high flop, after I reraised PF. Up to $717, officially greater than tripling my BR :D
Update 2:BR = $693 :club: aka almost tripled in 6 days.EDIT - Just got limp reraised by some dude with AJo when I had QQ, he donk pushed a J high flop, after I reraised PF. Up to $717, officially greater than tripling my BR :D
I'm jealous. Very nice run.

I am basically a "newbie" to poker and to this site. What are the best ways to do this bankroll thing? What are the best steps? Do you stop after doubling up or something like that? Thanks for the help."Green around the Gills"

I am basically a "newbie" to poker and to this site. What are the best ways to do this bankroll thing? What are the best steps? Do you stop after doubling up or something like that? Thanks for the help."Green around the Gills"
Alright, I'll bite.A bankroll, by definition is all the money you have available to play poker.Serious players seperate it from money they use for living, day to day expenses, etc.It is NOT what you bring to one table. If you are playing with any degree of seriousness, you should never sit with your entire bankroll.Now, there are several bankroll recommendations, to ensure, that a winning player, has a very small chance of going broke (derived mathematically through variance, and standard deviation calculations, as well as winrate).For example, the standard bankroll to play any limit hold'em, full ring, is 300 big bets. So, for 3/6 limit, you should have a bankroll, of a minimum of 300(6) = $1800. That is the bare minimum to ensure a very small "risk of ruin".For shorthanded limit, the recommendation is 500 big bets.For full ring no limit, you are looking for more like 25 buyins or so, where a buyin is the max buyin at your limit. Ie, for 100 NL, you should have 2500ish.For shorthanded, you should have more, due to the increased variance.****I think that's about all I can think of.Oh yeah, your statement about stoping after doubling shows me that you don't have much of an understanding of long-term vs short term.In poker, you make money by pushing an edge in terms of odds. In the short run, you will win some, lose some, break even, etc.Over the long run, the theory of probability dictates that the probabilities will balance out. Ie, if you play 1 million hands heads up, and you have AA each time, it's going to hold up the 85.204% that you would expect it to, vs a random hand.So, the best way to think about poker, is that it is all one long session.Doubling up once is meaningless in the long run. It could have just been luck that one time, and so on.If you understand these concepts already, then I apologize if I sound condescending. If not, feel free to ask questions here in the strat forums, or I would recommend picking up some books, most notably "Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky, and/or "Small Stakes Hold'Em" by Ed Miller and Sklansky.- Zach

Very good reply by Zach..If you want to learn more, use the search funtion and search for "bankroll management"..There are probably a billion threads on it, all w/ valuable infoGL

Zach has a great answer.HOWEVER, for now, just take your "entertainment money" and play a variety of low stakes games. Test various sites out and read the books recommende ( Theory of Poker is too advanced for a newbie player however). "Getting Started in Holdem" by Ed Miller is excellent. Bankroll is a top top top priority when you start playing with regularity and wish to not have to deposit new funds after any downswing; but having fun and learning a bit should be your first step, imo.

Zach and Actuary, thank you so much for the info. No I really didn't know any of the info you had suggested Zach, but I appreciate it. I enjoy the game, just don't know that much about it. It was easy to pick up, but of course my losses out weigh my winnings, lol. My biggest problem is that I learned from a limit "free money" area and took a big spanking when I started playing on real tables, lol.When I was saying doubling up..I meant for that session. Is the best way to do it was to stop and add it to my bank roll and then come back with the minimum starting amount for that table again.Thanks again for the info, its great to actually have people who can answer questions.Does anyone know if Daniel answers emails or just posts?Cool Throwemaway, I will have to try that search. Thanks

When I was saying doubling up..I meant for that session. Is the best way to do it was to stop and add it to my bank roll and then come back with the minimum starting amount for that table again.Thanks again for the info, its great to actually have people who can answer questions.Does anyone know if Daniel answers emails or just posts?Cool Throwemaway, I will have to try that search. Thanks
Play as long as you feel like it and are making good decisions. Some like to put stop-loss amounts on their sessions or get up if way ahead; but that's all psycological.Pretty sure DN does not answer emails and certainly don't bother addressing posts to him. He's pretty useless from that perspective. We exist to exalt him (well, some of these dorks do)if you are losing consistently and play long time, then don't worry about BankRoll. Number one consideration in establishing a BR is that you are not losing money over a long long time; but only shorter periods.
When I was saying doubling up..I meant for that session. Is the best way to do it was to stop and add it to my bank roll and then come back with the minimum starting amount for that table again.
Personally, I say no. If you double-up then you increase the amount of chips you can take from any opponent that also has more than the max buy-in.You'll know what I mean the first time you take down a nice sized pot but could have taken more from your opponent(s) had you been sitting on a bigger stack. Most of the time you will encounter this is when you lose half your stack and choose not to reload, then get a monster. As an example, I was sitting at a $25 NL table and lost a hand which took me down to about $10. I tried to top off my stack and bring the additional $15 in before the next hand. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough and was delt AA before I completed the reload. So here I'm sitting on AA with only $10. I ended up getting into a multi-way pot with the best hand, but was only able to take down a $30 main pot while the second best hand took down the side pot because they both had me covered. Had I been sitting with the max, I would have taken down an extra $45.Same goes for doubling up. If you sit there with $50, then you can take more chips from anybody else over the $25 max.

Cool, thanks money. I just thought I should always bank it to build up my bankroll, instead of trying to just get the most out of that game and risk losing all of it. I Was thinking long-term, but your right...thats probably the better way of doing it, keeping it all in there.

Cool, thanks money. I just thought I should always bank it to build up my bankroll, instead of trying to just get the most out of that game and risk losing all of it. I Was thinking long-term, but your right...thats probably the better way of doing it, keeping it all in there.
If you don't feel comfortable sitting with more than the max buy-in, then don't. You will likely play scared/nervous, which is certainly not good for your game. Being comfortable is more important IMO.
Like I said before, you don't want all of your bankroll on the table at one time. If you have say, $500 to play with, you should probably play somethnig like $25 NL, where the max buyin would be $25, that way, if you lose it, it's not a big deal to your BR.Of course, these are meant for semi-serious players. If you are just playing for fun, then it's ok to play with it all, but just know that variance may creep up, and you could get unlucky, and lose a few hands in a row and be broke.If you want to start with a certain amount and never have to redeposit (as long as you are a winning player, which can be developped if you want to learn), you should follow the BR recommendations I mention in the first post, as well as others you will find throughout this site.Good luck,- Zach