Raymer Talkes About Dn On Stars.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's Greg Raymer?
He won the 2004 wosp main event.The lawsuit seems like they have a decent argument, as long as what they say about the WPT and the WOSP being the only major events that you can play at, does anyone have any numbers on the number of tournaments in LA that have over a million dollar prize pool each year not counting the WOSP events, and the WPT?What Raymer said does seem really childish, especialy being that it is on an online poker table. If he dosen't agree with what DN is saying then he should say it in a profesional manor (like Howard Lederer did).And does anyone else think that the anouncers for the WPT are really monotoneus, it gets kind of anoying to me after a while. Also does anyone know if more players go all in in the WPT, or they just edit it to show mostly all in hands?
Raymer is a tool.
See, about 1-2 years ago I told Arieh that Raymer was a boob and that his comments to David Williams before the heads up battle were totally fine. He told me Raymer was a nice guy. Nice guy my ***.

Pokerstars is broccoli.Hi DN.Raymer is a great GREAT poker player (As well as incapable of losing a coinflip...), but whenever pride/money is on the line, people will say the darndest things.DN is right though.... "Dude is out of line."

You guys take things waaaaaaaay too seriously. How can so many people not named DN be so upset over something like this?I dont see people hating on DN because of the man boobs comment, which was just as insulting as being called a sock puppet. How can you tolerate one out of line comment and then look the other way when the other comes around? Because Raymer started it? Give me a break.These comments dont make me respect DN or Raymer any less. And it shouldn't. I'm sure they're still both great people, I dont see why people have to hate on Raymer so much just cuz he insults your Idol. Give me a break.As for the lawsuit, I agree with DN. Good day.

Saying the man has man boobs is not nearly as insulting as saying DN is a whore for the WPT.First, the truth is an absolute defense to liable.He has man boobs.Now, if he can prove DN is in bed with, and fronting for, the WPT, then he can shoot off his mouth.

funny that raymer would call daniel a puppet for the WPT because it seems to me that raymer is actually a puppet for stars. you see, stars is the one who has the most to lose by the WPT using raymer's likeness. they signed an exclusive deal with him. however, legally speaking, they have no standing to sue. therefore, they need to have someone with standing to sue the WPT. enter raymer and hachem. it's no coincidence that the plaintiffs in the suit are stars biggest clients. i seriously doubt that raymer and hachem hired these lawyers. stars did, to protect their contracted right to market the WSOP winners. to me, there is no other explanation...
I hate to admit it, but this probably makes sense for Stars to hire a couple lawyers and let those 2 be the front guys. If the WSOP did the same as the WPT then Stars might have an issue using the boys of the last few WSOPs like they do now. What I think is a bit stupid is the gaffers tape across hats and shirts at the final tables. I can understand that it is a bit much and alot of free advertising, but last week's PPT final at Foxwoods was real dumb with tape across Dan Harrington's Boston Red Sox logo hat. He wears that hat for all tourneys and during other table shots, there was no problem with the logo showing. Come on guys, common sense once and awhile?

I Just felt like posting my few cents on this situation. First and foremost, I have always felt that Daniel Negreanu's opinion in the world of poker is something that should be valued. i have learned a tremendous amount from him in and around the game of poker. I 100% agree with his opinion on the lawsuit and think that the players should not be suing the "World poker tour", hereinafter referred to as "WPT". What the WPT has done for the game of poker is amazing and to do anything that would hurt there image would hurt the image of poker. Most the people that play tournament poker nowadays have started playing because of the WPT. The players have recieved tons of recognition and more from the WPT, and letting the WPT use there images isnt a big deal. Poker players are public figures and almost anyone can use there images for profit. You dont see people going around suing cardplayer magazine for using there images do you? And obviously a poker magazine derives its income from that! Of course it is a grey area and not just anyone can go about using someones name and likeness for profits! That is my opinion on the lawsuit and it is just an opinion!second of all, what Greg Raymer has said about Daniel Negranu on a public poker website is absolutely ridiculous. Greg Raymer is a Lawyer and should know better than defaming someone in a public forum. I am not going to go into the law too far because I still have a solid year of law school left and I am not an expert although I do have tons of legal knowledge, but he should know better than saying what he said. I found it hard to believe that someone like Greg raymer would make the statements that he made and an apology from him to Daniel does not fix the harm that has been done to Daniel! I personally have lost quite a bit of respect for Greg Raymer. As it stands I support Daniel 100% and if there is anything I could do to help support his view I would do it!

You dont see people going around suing cardplayer magazine for using there images do you?If Cardplayer then sold those photos to a rival online gaming site which then used those photos to promote their site - they would. Of course, Cardplayer very likely doesn't have the legal right to do so because they do not force a player to sign a pernicious release form just so they can include that player in their magazine.With all due respect, Mr Rentzer, your defense of Negreanu basically parrots the generalities he's already stated, and fails to tackle the specifics of what is at issue here.

You dont see people going around suing cardplayer magazine for using there images do you?If Cardplayer then sold those photos to a rival online gaming site which then used those photos to promote their site - they would. Of course, Cardplayer very likely doesn't have the legal right to do so because they do not force a player to sign a pernicious release form just so they can include that player in their magazine.With all due respect, Mr Rentzer, your defense of Negreanu basically parrots the generalities he's already stated, and fails to tackle the specifics of what is at issue here.
with all due respect I wasnt trying to tackle anything to begin with. I was voicing my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I havent lost any respect for any of the people involved in the lawsuit against the WPT except Raymer for his remarks against Daniel. They have every right to sue the WPT if thats what they want to do, it doesnt mean I have to agree with what there doing! I wouldn't want to try to tackle the lawsuit Because I choose not to get that involved! Although I agree with Daniel and think the lawsuit is bad for the game of poker. But that does not mean what the player's are doing is incorrect for them! No matter what happens there will be people that dont agree and people that do agree with the lawsuit!

I think they should make a new Reality TV show and have 8 pro poker players living in the same house for a month, playing every other day to see who gets to sleep on the couch or something, and definatly have Raymer and DN share a room... haha...Then we would really see some Full Contact Poker... I got 100$ on DN.

This is really Online Poker Representatives v. WPT.If the rights to each person in the suit were not already owned by the online poker sites they represent, they would not be in this lawsuit. If the WPT did use their faces on advertisements and the like, this would create a huge mess of legal troubles that would make this WPT suit look like peanuts. Now, multiple online poker sites, hell even individual poker players associated with those sites would sue as well.That's probably part of the reason why WPT hasn't exercised the clauses extensively. It was almost a Cold War in some ways. But this suit has made it a blazing hot war.

Wow, he's a bigger tool for crying about the WPT.Seriously, to express joy out of someone else busting in a tournament is just plain immaturity. I expected more of Raymer.
People express joy about Phil Hellmuth being knocked out of a tourney all the time............a lot of those people are people who are on this forum and "root" for DN. Kinda funny that.
Saying the man has man boobs is not nearly as insulting as saying DN is a whore for the WPT.First, the truth is an absolute defense to liable.He has man boobs.Now, if he can prove DN is in bed with, and fronting for, the WPT, then he can shoot off his mouth.
That's pretty hilarious that you'd render your legal opinion and be unaware that it's "libel." "Liable" means something slightly different...*sigh*
People express joy about Phil Hellmuth being knocked out of a tourney all the time............a lot of those people are people who are on this forum and "root" for DN. Kinda funny that.
nh
I Just felt like posting my few cents on this situation. First and foremost, I have always felt that Daniel Negreanu's opinion in the world of poker is something that should be valued. i have learned a tremendous amount from him in and around the game of poker. I 100% agree with his opinion on the lawsuit and think that the players should not be suing the "World poker tour", hereinafter referred to as "WPT". What the WPT has done for the game of poker is amazing and to do anything that would hurt there image would hurt the image of poker. Most the people that play tournament poker nowadays have started playing because of the WPT. The players have recieved tons of recognition and more from the WPT, and letting the WPT use there images isnt a big deal. Poker players are public figures and almost anyone can use there images for profit. You dont see people going around suing cardplayer magazine for using there images do you? And obviously a poker magazine derives its income from that! Of course it is a grey area and not just anyone can go about using someones name and likeness for profits! That is my opinion on the lawsuit and it is just an opinion!second of all, what Greg Raymer has said about Daniel Negranu on a public poker website is absolutely ridiculous. Greg Raymer is a Lawyer and should know better than defaming someone in a public forum. I am not going to go into the law too far because I still have a solid year of law school left and I am not an expert although I do have tons of legal knowledge, but he should know better than saying what he said. I found it hard to believe that someone like Greg raymer would make the statements that he made and an apology from him to Daniel does not fix the harm that has been done to Daniel! I personally have lost quite a bit of respect for Greg Raymer. As it stands I support Daniel 100% and if there is anything I could do to help support his view I would do it!
Wow. The depth of your lack of knowledge of the law is amazing. No fault there, many people don't have a deep knowledge of the law. However, the majority acknowledge that and don't try running without the ball. I could go on at length about the lawsuit itself. But I'll spare everyone.I'm (obviously) late to this discussion. But I don't see Raymer as the type to use the term "tool" to describe someone, even if his opinion of that person was something which would be described as "tool" by others. It's just not a Raymer word and doesn't ring true. I'd need more evidence he actually typed that.If he did, it's pretty juvenile.As an aside, a similar lack of "ringing true" is how I know Jeffrey MacDonald killed his family. He claimed "hippies" invaded his house chanting "acid is groovy, kill the pigs." I'm from that era. No hippy ever said that. That's how the Brady Bunch writers thought hippies talked. Ergo, MacDonald = guilty.Q.E.D.