College Football Preseason Rankings

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was a little worried about Auburn being ranked so high in preseason polls. We typically underwhelm when that happens, but last night was pretty impressive...even if it was WSU.Oh, and I won a 4-team parlay for the first time. Vanderbilt, UCLA, Rutgers, and UAB all came through on their spreads. :club:

Discuss.They are a joke. Ohio St. loses it's entire defense..but gets to be #1 because they are a "traditional powerhouse" or some bullsh*t. There should be no rankings until Week 4 at the very earliest.
sort of agree but not entirely. preseason rankings add interest to the early games. the "experts" are somewhat accurate in their initial assessment.I believe it is something of a curse to be voted #1. You end up with everyone gunning for you until you eventually stumble.what happened to auburn is due to a lack of a college playoff not so much the preseason poll ranking

There's nothing wrong with preseason rankings as long as the people who make them are flexible and willing to adjust as the season goes on. The problem arises when they stubbornly stick to their preseason rankings at all costs.I usually do Top 25 rankings for college football just for my own amusement throughout the season, and I'm not afraid to change them if I change my mind on a team. Last year, it seemed like I was swtiching Texas and USC at #1 every other week toward the end of the season.When I do my rankings, I try to base them on performance throughout the season only, so I don't do my "official" rankings until after all the teams have played a few games (as suggested here). However, I usually do some preseason rankings for fun as well. This year, I had LSU #1 in the preseason, but if I did rankings this week, I wouldn't hesitate to move them behind Ohio State and USC after how good they looked in Week 1. As long as you're not afraid to move the teams around, preseason rankings become a helpful aid for the fans rather than a long-lasting criterion.Finally, I do love me some sports betting as well, and I'm already 13-6 this year, so here are my best picks for Week 2:SMU -4.5 at North Texas: The Sun Belt is worse than you think. Trust me, this should be a blowout.Auburn -19.5 at Mississippi State: Auburn's a legitimate Top Ten team with an explosive offense taking on one of the most embarrasing teams in any BCS conference. Covering 3 TDS should be easy.

No mention of my #1 NDnever cared for their football program but, this year might be my bandwagon jumping year.Playboy magazine releases their own ranking every year and are often very accurate, might wanna check out their rankings. i believe they picked ND as #2 this year.

No mention of my #1 NDnever cared for their football program but, this year might be my bandwagon jumping year.Playboy magazine releases their own ranking every year and are often very accurate, might wanna check out their rankings. i believe they picked ND as #2 this year.
yeah...they looked impressive against GTech :club:

The preseason rankings mean virtually nothing. The people with votes sit down at the beginning of the year and look at a teams schedule and decide if it is favorable or not, returning starters, team strength the year before, recruiting class etc are all factored in. Since the BCS was created, seldom has a team with one loss made the championship game and in all but 1 case, they did not win. So the question preseason is who is most likely to run the table.For arguements sake, lets look at why the polls would choose a team like Ohio State over the field:Lets say for arguments sake there are 10 teams that have a real chance at winning the national championship:Ohio State - Will be replacing many players on defense, all but one key player on offense returns, possible losses at Texas, at Iowa, vs Mich, vs Penn St. Texas will have a QB with one game vs N Texas under his belt, by midseason for Iowa and Penn St. will outclass those opponents and new defense will no longer be new. Mich at home, rivalry game OSU has had the better of them in recent years especially at home.Texas- Ohio State Week 2 with new QB. Winner of this game last year obv won the nat'l champ. Has an additional tough BIG12 champ game should they win the South.Florida- Plays against tough competition in the SEC, has added difficulty of SEC champ game. Notre Dame- first 4 games are unlikely to go unbeaten, USC looms in California. Lost to OSU in Fiesta bowl last year handily. They return a potent offense, defense much improved, Charlie Weis, etc.USC- Loses 3 NFL caliber players on offense, new QB, Cal, ND. Auburn- See FloridaLSU- See FloridaFlorida State- Tough ACC to navigate, and program has been down over the past couple years.West Virginia- Big East, Louisville(not so bad now), talented team, with little or no competition, should they go unbeaten along with 2 other teams, unlikely they make the BCS champ, and rightfully so, they play no one.Michigan- ND, OSU, Mich St, Iowa, been underachievers of late.All of this points to a favorable schedule for OSU against quality opponents that they will likely defeat. They will be underdogs in Texas, but not by much and favorites in the rest of their games. Voters give them the edge against Texas due to Texas young QB and the fact Vince Young won the game last year. The winner of the OSU Texas game will likely make the national championship. Should no one else go undefeated, is possible the loser makes the championship as well. Based on their conference strengths and the likelihood they will run the table.Hence, OSU #1, ND#2, Texas #3, Auburn most likely to run table in SEC #4.Basically whoever wins OSU Texas game is one piece of the puzzle. Barring any major upset.If ND can win out, their schedule would give them the nod for the other spot. If ND loses, then If Auburn runs the table they would get in.If Auburn loses, USC gets in if they can beat ND and run table.If all have 1 loss, is likely loser of OSU Texas game would get in with their only loss coming to the only undefeated team, setting up that rematch.Bottom line, if there wasnt a preseason poll, 90% of America would have no idea who had a chance to win. There will be about 20 undefeated teams after 5 games. Then everyone of those teams would argue they deserve to be #1, and etc etc, when it is very possible teams like ND OSU or Texas with one loss SHOULD be ranked higher than 16-17 of those undefeated teams. There will never be a playoff system like everyone wants because of the revenue it would cost the bowls and their sponsors. Quit griping, watch the games cause you love it, hope and pray your team makes a run at it, and bi.tch n moan when they get snubbed for some team that probably is better than them gets in ahead of them.

The preseason rankings mean virtually nothing. The people with votes sit down at the beginning of the year and look at a teams schedule and decide if it is favorable or not, returning starters, team strength the year before, recruiting class etc are all factored in. Since the BCS was created, seldom has a team with one loss made the championship game and in all but 1 case, they did not win. So the question preseason is who is most likely to run the table.For arguements sake, lets look at why the polls would choose a team like Ohio State over the field:Lets say for arguments sake there are 10 teams that have a real chance at winning the national championship:Ohio State - Will be replacing many players on defense, all but one key player on offense returns, possible losses at Texas, at Iowa, vs Mich, vs Penn St. Texas will have a QB with one game vs N Texas under his belt, by midseason for Iowa and Penn St. will outclass those opponents and new defense will no longer be new. Mich at home, rivalry game OSU has had the better of them in recent years especially at home.Texas- Ohio State Week 2 with new QB. Winner of this game last year obv won the nat'l champ. Has an additional tough BIG12 champ game should they win the South.Florida- Plays against tough competition in the SEC, has added difficulty of SEC champ game. Notre Dame- first 4 games are unlikely to go unbeaten, USC looms in California. Lost to OSU in Fiesta bowl last year handily. They return a potent offense, defense much improved, Charlie Weis, etc.USC- Loses 3 NFL caliber players on offense, new QB, Cal, ND. Auburn- See FloridaLSU- See FloridaFlorida State- Tough ACC to navigate, and program has been down over the past couple years.West Virginia- Big East, Louisville(not so bad now), talented team, with little or no competition, should they go unbeaten along with 2 other teams, unlikely they make the BCS champ, and rightfully so, they play no one.Michigan- ND, OSU, Mich St, Iowa, been underachievers of late.All of this points to a favorable schedule for OSU against quality opponents that they will likely defeat. They will be underdogs in Texas, but not by much and favorites in the rest of their games. Voters give them the edge against Texas due to Texas young QB and the fact Vince Young won the game last year. The winner of the OSU Texas game will likely make the national championship. Should no one else go undefeated, is possible the loser makes the championship as well. Based on their conference strengths and the likelihood they will run the table.Hence, OSU #1, ND#2, Texas #3, Auburn most likely to run table in SEC #4.Basically whoever wins OSU Texas game is one piece of the puzzle. Barring any major upset.If ND can win out, their schedule would give them the nod for the other spot. If ND loses, then If Auburn runs the table they would get in.If Auburn loses, USC gets in if they can beat ND and run table.If all have 1 loss, is likely loser of OSU Texas game would get in with their only loss coming to the only undefeated team, setting up that rematch.Bottom line, if there wasnt a preseason poll, 90% of America would have no idea who had a chance to win. There will be about 20 undefeated teams after 5 games. Then everyone of those teams would argue they deserve to be #1, and etc etc, when it is very possible teams like ND OSU or Texas with one loss SHOULD be ranked higher than 16-17 of those undefeated teams. There will never be a playoff system like everyone wants because of the revenue it would cost the bowls and their sponsors. Quit griping, watch the games cause you love it, hope and pray your team makes a run at it, and bi.tch n moan when they get snubbed for some team that probably is better than them gets in ahead of them.
:club: They gotta change the playoff format.I really don't think a 65 team bracket like basketball is all that unrealistic.Why do you think that football programs stand to lose more money with that format?Do the basketball programs generate less revenue during the National Tournament?