Dn: "it's Hard To Believe It's The World Series"

(view DN's blog)Sure, there are a lot of no-brainers in the massive field, but they won't be able to survive a field of 8000 people. The ones that do are decent / good players who may be the best in their area, but simply never gave up their dayjob to become a full-time pokerplayer.And isn't a tournament win the catalyst to becoming a professional? Look at Madsen... http://www.pokerlistings.com/poker-player_jeff-madsenSave to say he's now a professional. :)So you never know what hidden treasures may pop-up in these tournaments. The best player in the world could be an amateur. The WSOP is the place to prove it.And let's be honest here... you pros have enough restricted tournaments already :club:

I think the point was that it's crazy that the 'world championship' has the lowest standard of play of any other major tournament in the year. Know any other soprt ehere that is the case??And what are these pro-only tourneys?? i can only think of the PPT.

I think the point was that it's crazy that the 'world championship' has the lowest standard of play of any other major tournament in the year. Know any other soprt ehere that is the case??
Open Golf Tournaments?Open Darts Tournaments?Special Olympics?
And what are these pro-only tourneys?? i can only think of the PPT.
- Full Tilt Red Rocks Tournament- Poker Superstars I, II, III- PPTTo name a few..
Open Golf Tournaments?Open Darts Tournaments?Special Olympics?
Are those open tournaments called the "World Series of Golf" and the "World Series of Darts"?No, since you need to qualify to play in the World Series of Darts. And when there was a World Series of Golf it was only open to winners of selected professional tournaments in the last year.And the Special Olympics doesn't promote itself as a "World Series", there's the non-special olympics after all. It's just humourous that the "World Series of Poker" has the worst play of all the major tournaments...
Open Golf Tournaments?Open Darts Tournaments?Special Olympics?- Full Tilt Red Rocks Tournament- Poker Superstars I, II, III- PPTTo name a few..
lol 1) he already said PPT, so that doesn't count. 2) What the fuck is red rocks tournament? Who cares. 3) You sir probably know a lot about the Special Olympics. Or did you fail to qualify?
lol 1) he already said PPT, so that doesn't count. 2) What the fuck is red rocks tournament? Who cares. 3) You sir probably know a lot about the Special Olympics. Or did you fail to qualify?
yoda, you have to be the angriest poster in here. does someone need a hug?
I think the point was that it's crazy that the 'world championship' has the lowest standard of play of any other major tournament in the year. Know any other soprt ehere that is the case??And what are these pro-only tourneys?? i can only think of the PPT.
Well that's the thing, I think despite it being called the "World Series," you really can't consider it to be the litmus-test world championship anymore. Or at least if you're only looking at the ME, anyway. If you want to look at a single tournament, the HORSE event was, IMO, much closer to determining the best player in the world (which one could argue it did).Oh, and everyone forgot about the oh-so-prestigious NBC Heads-Up Championship.
Well that's the thing, I think despite it being called the "World Series," you really can't consider it to be the litmus-test world championship anymore. Or at least if you're only looking at the ME, anyway. If you want to look at a single tournament, the HORSE event was, IMO, much closer to determining the best player in the world (which one could argue it did).
We'll see if any pros survive the endless "pitfalls" of the ME.
Well that's the thing, I think despite it being called the "World Series," you really can't consider it to be the litmus-test world championship anymore. Or at least if you're only looking at the ME, anyway. If you want to look at a single tournament, the HORSE event was, IMO, much closer to determining the best player in the world (which one could argue it did).
Bonus points for litmus test
yoda, you have to be the angriest poster in here. does someone need a hug?
I just have a low tolerance for dumbasses and I'm not a morning person :PEdit: AND - this guy just said in another thread KK vs Ax is a coinflip that should be avoided - so I already know he is RKIGS material.
Risk all your chips with KK pre-flop and who's gonna call you? pocket pairs or AK/AQ... too much heat for those cute little kings.Just raaaaiiiseee and see the texture of the flop before risking your tournament life. Stay away from those damn coinflips :club:
Mercury and Scriptdude are both major RKIGS'.

Shouldn't the yearly champion be decided by which player files the largest tax return? One tournament does not make a Champion, sorry, even if it is HORSE. The yearly money leader is all that counts.

Are those open tournaments called the "World Series of Golf"?And when there was a World Series of Golf it was only open to winners of selected professional tournaments in the last year.
Two of the 4 Majors in golf are the US open and the British open, which are both open to anybody and everybody. (of course you have to make it through local and regional qualifying, nothing really similiar to that in poker)What is this 'world series of golf' you speak of? The only tournaments I could think of that have similiar criteria to what you mentioned are the mercedes championships (first tournament of the year, only open to winners from the previous season) and the grand slam (hardly more than a silly season exibition) and neither are nearly as prestigious as the two opens.
)What is this 'world series of golf' you speak of? The only tournaments I could think of that have similiar criteria to what you mentioned are the mercedes championships (first tournament of the year, only open to winners from the previous season) and the grand slam (hardly more than a silly season exibition) and neither are nearly as prestigious as the two opens.
The world series of golf was at Firestone Country Club, it folded in 1998, Duval won the last one. It was a PGA Tour event and for a time considered one of the most important events on the tour.
The world series of golf was at Firestone Country Club, it folded in 1998, Duval won the last one. It was a PGA Tour event and for a time considered one of the most important events on the tour.
It was never a major, and I don't think the Masters, US Open, The Open, or the PGA Championship are going anywhere anytime soon.Bobby Jones's grand slam consisted of the two opens and the two amateurs. The prestige of events change over time. While the WSOP ME might have been the premier event even just 5 years ago, maybe it's not at the top of the mountain anymore.