First of all . . . I want to reiterate that I do not condone his actions. Earlier in this thread I stated such. I think a Christian, especially a public figure like Mel, should have used better common sense. BUT . . . just like every other Christian on here has said, nobody is perfect. He definately has some deep rooted personal demons that he needs to deal with. That still does not mean that he does not have the heart of a Christian. Sin does not take away that . . . if it did nobody could call themself a Christian. Yes I agree that his actions do not demonstrate the Christian lifestyle AT ALL. But from a Christian perspective the man put his character and career on the line to make a movie about Jesus Christ. This was not a fluff Hollywood movie. This was a hard core in your face movie about Jesus Christs death. To me, he would have only taken that risk if he was, at heart, a Christian.
As I said earlier I too respected that he risked his career to make that movie - it showed artistic gutsBut I also think that there are people who call themselves christians who for whatever reason do not act very christlike and use the bible to justify whatever their prejudices they haveI'm not sure if you guys know about Barry Goldwater but he was so out of control that many Republicans were ashamed that he was part of their partyFor better or worse somehow the rabid bad eggs like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson get all the press - I wish that there was a more loving toloerant figure at the center of the public eye of your religion
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier I too respected that he risked his career to make that movie - it showed artistic gutsBut I also think that there are people who call themselves christians who for whatever reason do not act very christlike and use the bible to justify whatever their prejudices they haveI'm not sure if you guys know about Barry Goldwater but he was so out of control that many Republicans were ashamed that he was part of their partyFor better or worse somehow the rabid bad eggs like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson get all the press - I wish that there was a more loving toloerant figure at the center of the public eye of your religion
Ever hear of Billy Graham?
this guy was riding on top as a paragon of christian excellence a few years ago
ROFL
Mel Gibson is not a 'paragon of christian excellence'. Anyone, christian or otherwise, who views him that way is just ignorant.
QFT

Its funny that Gibson hasn't taken more flak than he has...if he used the term "******" instead of "jew" in derogatory ways heads would be rolling. He's almost getting a free pass for what he said which is a complete joke.Its not surprising that Mel is anti semetic, his dad is a huge anti semit and said that the holocaust didn't happen...why people are surprised is funny.

Ever hear of Billy Graham?
Declassified "Richard Nixon tapes" revealed controversial anti-Semitic remarks made by Graham to Nixon. Graham openly voiced his belief that Jews control the American media, calling it a "stranglehold" during a 1972 conversation with President Nixon. "This stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain," said Graham, agreeing with Nixon's comments about Jews and their influence in American life. Later, Graham mentions that he has friends in the media who are Jewish, saying they "swarm around me and are friendly to me." But, he confides to Nixon, "They don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to this country."Try again

I wanted to share a few thoughts on Mel Gibson as well: It sounds to me like he went bonkers and succumbed to temptation in a big way. He sounded like he was full of rage, totally wasted, and totally depressed. All feelings that are not brought on by God. I kind of feel bad for him. Because he wrote the film, his life would change forever. He'd falsely be looked at as almost a God, when nothing could be further from the truth. He was put in a position of power. Now, if you were Satan and your goal was to discredit Christianity, who would you target? Forget for a moment that maybe you are an atheist. In theory, what would be the best way to have people lose faith in Christianity? I would think you would attack it's leaders. Those people that are looked to as "heroes" of the cause. Furthermore, if you could cause even more and more temptation, wouldn't you pile it on as heavy as you can? I would think so. I don't know Mel Gibson and I don't know what his demons are. I do believe, though, that this was a "win for the bad guy" if you will, in that, he was able to discredit a man and that will help his cause. Because of what Mel Gibson did, it had an effect on society that gave all of Christianity a bad name. Mission accomplished if you will. Why am I writing this? Well, because in some ways I can personalize it and own it. To be a Christian is very unpopular in many parts of this world. Voicing that, is even more unpopular. To be a public figure and share your religious views is like... wow, asking for trouble in some ways! In some ways, you need to be even more careful about the way you live your life since anything you do could have a very negative effect on the way Christians are percieved in this world. Frankly, I feel that kind of pressure all the time. I get tempted to do really bad things all the time. It never stops, and it's often hard to be strong. For example, recently I've been very angry with the group of seven players that are filing a lawsuit against the WPT. It caused me to feel hatred and anger, and I acted on it by lashing out at them. I felt myself doing it, and was able to reign it in just in time (I hope). I even posted a nasty response to Raymer in the forum. Immediately after pressing send, I knew it was wrong and erased it. My final point is, if I even have a point at all, is that if you are a Christian in a place of high power you'll likely be faced with more temptation than the typical man. You may be a "better target" for Satan since he could accomplish more by bringing you down. I really suck for the most part. I can be mean at times, I often say the wrong things publicly, and I'd probably me much better off spending less time in places where temptation can sneak up on me. Mel Gibson really sucks too. He isn't the man that Christians should look to as a hero of the cause for the film, instead, they should focus more on the principal character in the film.

Now, if you were Satan and your goal was to discredit Christianity, who would you target? Forget for a moment that maybe you are an atheist. In theory, what would be the best way to have people lose faith in Christianity?
If I was Satan I would make people spend time worshiping an entity that doesn't exist, making people waste their short lives on earth, that's the meanest thing I can come up with...
If I was Satan I would make people spend time worshiping an entity that doesn't exist, making people waste their short lives on earth, that's the meanest thing I can come up with...
Oh come on, you can't assume the existence of Satan and reject the possibility of God.
I even posted a nasty response to Raymer in the forum. Immediately after pressing send, I knew it was wrong and erased it.
so you really did post something about him breast-feeding african children lol?
Mel Gibson really sucks too. He isn't the man that Christians should look to as a hero of the cause for the film, instead, they should focus more on the principal character in the film.
william wallace?

If I was Satan, I would create a dude name Jesus, stick him on the earth, crucify him, and turn him into a martyr, creating a new religion, and then I would make his followers live near the other religous followers and let them beat on each other untill there was nothing left.Oh wait...your God did that.

Why am I writing this? Well, because in some ways I can personalize it and own it. Frankly, I feel that kind of pressure all the time. I get tempted to do really bad things all the time. It never stops, and it's often hard to be strong. I really suck for the most part. I can be mean at times, I often say the wrong things publicly, and I'd probably me much better off spending less time in places where temptation can sneak up on me.
DN, I am really impressed that you have this much maturity this quickly in your walk with Christ. I know many Christians that think God wants them to be rich and never have trials.I was sober in AA for 6 years before Christ, and having a long period of being honest with myself made me a better Christian in that it keeps me from riding the high horse and being judgemental on non-Christians etc. ( usaully)Like the Bible says: " Take heed lest you fall"Nice hand sir
DN, I am really impressed that you have this much maturity this quickly in your walk with Christ. I know many Christians that think God wants them to be rich and never have trials.I was sober in AA for 6 years before Christ, and having a long period of being honest with myself made me a better Christian in that it keeps me from riding the high horse and being judgemental on non-Christians etc. ( usaully)Like the Bible says: " Take heed lest you fall"Nice hand sir
Likewise, cool to hear BG. All Chrisitans need encouragement from time to time and its nice to know some of us have gone through some things and God brought us through them for maturity. Nice to see victory over things that controlled us...even though going through it sucks sometimes.
Likewise, cool to hear BG. All Chrisitans people need encouragement from time to time and its nice to know some of us have gone through some things and God brought us through them for maturity that suck. Nice to see victory over things that controlled us...even though going through it sucks sometimes.
FYP
FYP
I was talking specifically to the Christians on the board. so editing my post is unnecessary.
I was talking specifically to the people on the board.
sluggo, i think you are getting a little too argumentative a few times.there is an unspoken agreement that you dont criticize the other posterson this board when they are talking only to other christians.it's fine to disagree, but just do it in the 90 percent of threads that areabout religious ideas, not in the 10 that are meant for people that already agree.
sluggo, i think you are getting a little too argumentative a few times.there is an unspoken agreement that you dont criticize the other posterson this board when they are talking only to other christians.it's fine to disagree, but just do it in the 90 percent of threads that areabout religious ideas, not in the 10 that are meant for people that already agree.
Thanks SS.