too much heads up....and daniel slow rolls lol

I hate to break your hearts everyone, but dang that final WPT table from Bogarta was awesome. Heads up was alot better then any other WPT final I have seen in awhile. Then again, if the Unabomber was on that final table, things would of been well "explosive" to say the least. So, everyone, move along, go on with your lives and play lots of poker this weekend :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the opinion that NL is the more skillful game and that the added complexity is actually the source of Smash's arguments. The fact is that there are more decisions involved in each NL play and the quality of the opponent's decision-making is exaggerated by that. Especially with the hold-em boom, NL is played by more of the uninformed and recreational, and therefore played more poorly, helping the assumption that limit is tougher. At every possible decision, you have more options due to the variance of bet size. This increases the chances of screwing up and makes NL nominally more complex in terms of actual play.A good player's NL edge over the field is large but also reaches an asymptote that the disparity in limit does not allow, due to restrictions on betting and structure.A good player's limit edge over the field is more incremental to their skill because it is the accumulation of edges and not their magnification. The edge remains in a linear portion on the skill curve.Is NL easier to beat complete idiots at? Yes.Does limit separate skills more clearly? Yes.But that is due to the inherent complexity of NL and its magnification of mistakes and where these fall on the skill/edge curve.Basically, the difference is in how the edge is built. Limit requires greater consistency and hand-by-hand finesse. It's the sum of small edges, keeping the relation between skill and edge linear. This gives the appearance of being more skillful. NL is the exploitation of big edges, requiring excellent play, but far more sporadically. The existence of these huge edges is, however, a function of the complexity of the game but the mistakes of opponents reach an upper limit meaning the incremental difference in skill amongst the decent player at a table of idiots will not differ in accordance with their comparative skills.NL is tougher to play, Limit is tougher to beat, IMHO. I hope that all made sense, we need to define skill and classify it to really have this discussion.

Smash...you should learn to back your arguments up with solid points like that.Very good post, refreshing.
Smash doesn't need solid points because his opionion is solid enough. Or at least thats what he thinks in his own mind.

It breaks down kinda like this: Limit 1) About 10% 2) About 86% 3) About 4% No limit 1) About 10% 2) About 70% 3) About 20% Where did you get these percentages from?

This was a great episode, and there was great action all around. Got to see some good pre and post flop strategy. I did not think there was to much headsup. I find that is where i need to improve alot in my game. I dont just like to see every hand an allin, or every other hand...I mean what are the chances of 6 hands crowning a winner at one of these things. What would they do with the xtra hour and a half...fill it up with play previous in the tournament between the hands..but i digress. Really glad to see DN play from ahead in the chip count, to behind in the chip count, and then to get some good cards to even it up again. Not to mention the fact that it was just a Lineup of Heavy Hitters. I mean you got 2nd and 3rd place from the Final Event of the WSOP. I think Josh Arieh, finally gets to do something about the butthole personality he portrayed at the WSOP...I mean he could have had a little more class. But tonite he was cool, and not so...like he was at the WSOP.Ill agree with a previous poster about the PSII, there was just not alot of poker going on, and they actually had cards for the first half. Though i did enjoy watching it, considering little elwse was on.I think the Turning Stone Tournament was fantastic. I felt like they showed almost everyhand and gave a great evaluation of every one as well. I think the Dags did killer considering who he was up against, and the play of Phil Ivey dead on. If we all could get tournament action like we saw tonite, it would be better for alot of players. It would teach that the game is not one total all in fest. Impressive.just my2 sense...Dendog
Two cents
It breaks down kinda like this:  Limit  1) About 10%  2) About 86%  3) About 4%  No limit  1) About 10%  2) About 70%  3) About 20% Where did you get these percentages from?
out of his arse