blinds 15/30I'm playing very tight at this point.I have 1750 villian covers.I raise to 90 UTG w/ AAbutton calls.flop (200)J 9 5 rI bet 150, button callsTurn (500)jI check, button bets 250, i callRiver (1000)2I check, button bets 500 I fold Hands 2: different tourney, playing tight here as well.Me: 1500villian 1500 it was close don't remember exactly20/40I raise UTG w/ AA to 120, villian call in MP2, button calls.flop (450)j 2 2I bet 400, Villian calls, button foldsTurn (1250)Ji check, villian bets, I fold. villian is TAG w/ loosish preflop calling requirements. j10 is definately a possiblity

Tournament forum?
i could post it there, but I honestly think the best responses that come out of the tournament forum regard preflop play. I think some, (definately not all) of the posters there are sorta lost playing post flop and this is more of a post flop hand.

Well, in hand one I think you needed to make your mind up on the turn. The river is as benign a card as you could hope for. If you felt he had the jacks, should have folded on the turn. Given that you called the turn, I'd have gone ahead and called the river. You'll have dumped about half your stack if you're wrong, but you'll still have enough to put up a fight.In the second hand, I'm having a hard time convincing myself he has a jack. Not that he couldn't, but he could have a whole lot of other things. 10's, 9's and possibly 8's would make this play. K's and Q's might (they'd be more likely to raise the flop I'd think). And, AK or AQ could call you on this as well. The last few sentences are talking about the flop. On the turn, your check looks like you've given up on the hand, so I'm not too surprised the villain tried to take it from you.One thing that might change my mind would be the buy-in of the tournaments. The players at lower level buy-ins don't tend to pick up on whether you are tight or not.

Hand 1: Call the river. You're getting good pot odds and you never know when someone might be running a silly bluff or even value betting a worse two pair that they think is good.Hand 2: Standard. If he doesn't have the jack, he has the two. The only reasonable hands you're possibly ahead of are KK and QQ, and those both likely check the turn.

Well, in hand one I think you needed to make your mind up on the turn.
I hate this logic. Obviously, the fact that villian is continuing to bet is giving us information. I still like calling the river, but I think calling the turn bet with the intent of getting villian to slow down if we're ahead is still a viable strategy, and much better than just folding the turn if you didn't want to commit too many chips.

what about bet/folding the turn both hands ?bet enough so that we can fold the river confidentaly to any decent bet; but small enough that folding to a re-raise is easy and not "pot committed"then again, I may be one of those preflop players you alluded too.ps: I'd bet less on the flop in hand 2 (maybe 300) and push a raise.

what about bet/folding the turn both hands ?bet enough so that we can fold the river confidentaly to any decent bet; but small enough that folding to a re-raise is easy and not "pot committed"then again, I may be one of those preflop players you alluded too.ps: I'd bet less on the flop in hand 2 (maybe 300) and push a raise.
Yeah, I would bet the hand in hand 1 just so that I don't have to make the river fold (I like it given how the hand played out though)I like hand 2.
I thought about that. My thought about not bet/folding the turn was that I don't think the opportunity to fold the turn comes very often. I would expect the jack to call in both cases since he has position on me and then i'm left either bet/folding the river and costing me more money or c/f the river. More of an issue w/ hand 1 because I c/fed the turn anyway.as far as making up my decision on the turn for hand 1, i mean the fact he kept betting tells me a lot no? 3:1 was also a decent price for it, but I was thinking in terms of chips that I had a reasonable stack by folding but would be down to close to nothing if I called. nah, but I don't think you ever post in my threads over there.

Hand 1. I actually like betting about 400 on the river and folding to a raise. A9 calls, as do a lot of other hands you are beating. You will usually only get raised if you are beat. The rest of the hand is reasonable.Hand 2. Bet less on the flop. As played you are in a difficult position, but I would probably bet again on the turn. A smaller pair will have difficulty calling a flop bet and a turn bet. As it is, by checking you allow hands like 99 to take the pot from you.

Hand 1. I actually like betting about 400 on the river and folding to a raise. A9 calls, as do a lot of other hands you are beating. You will usually only get raised if you are beat. The rest of the hand is reasonable.Hand 2. Bet less on the flop. As played you are in a difficult position, but I would probably bet again on the turn. A smaller pair will have difficulty calling a flop bet and a turn bet. As it is, by checking you allow hands like 99 to take the pot from you.
1. bet/fold my stack down to 800?2. Bet less on the flop?
as far as making up my decision on the turn for hand 1, i mean the fact he kept betting tells me a lot no? 3:1 was also a decent price for it, but I was thinking in terms of chips that I had a reasonable stack by folding but would be down to close to nothing if I called.
Villain's river bet looks like a value bet, but it could also be a bluff disguised as a value bet. From villain's point of view, you made a standard pre-flop raise (while you say you were playing tight, do we give villain credit for noticing) and then you made a standard continuation bet. When you check on the turn, it looks like you don't like you're hand any more. The turn call looks a lot like "well, I'll see if I can improve on the river". The river check says "no I didn't improve", and villain bets to take the pot.I'll grant you that villain could have a jack, but he could have 9-10, 9-8, 10's, 8's, or 7's, which he could think are good if he puts you on an AK or AQ type of hand.In any event, I still think I call the river as played. But, then again, ISAP. :club:
1. bet/fold my stack down to 800?2. Bet less on the flop?
1. Sorry, didn't take that into account. I like betting less now. Given stacks, you need to find out on the turn.2. Yeah. I like betting 250-300 here. It encourages smaller pairs to call more often. You have a very strong hand and you want action. A hand like 77 will fold on that flop to 400, but by betting less you will possibly get a call.As it is, you have a difficult decision on the turn with over 1/3 of your stack already comitted. I was missed the stack sizes for some reason. :icon_doh:Looking at stacks you cannot bet and fold to a raise. You have 900 left and the pot is 1200. Checking seems right here. You are either 5% or 95%. I think I would check call all-in seeing how big the pot is in relation to the remaining stack. A smaller pair is easily possible and will probably bet here if you check.

Scott, 1st hand: Fire the turn again. Villain may have called you w/ and underpair but you're c/f the river if he calls. You don't really have to put your whole stack in if you bet the turn here.2nd hand: C/f is better here than on hand 1 b/c you bet so much on the flop and he flat-called. If he's loose-ish preflop you can't completely dismiss acey-ducey suited either.

Scott, 1st hand: Fire the turn again. Villain may have called you w/ and underpair but you're c/f the river if he calls. You don't really have to put your whole stack in if you bet the turn here.2nd hand: C/f is better here than on hand 1 b/c you bet so much on the flop and he flat-called. If he's loose-ish preflop you can't completely dismiss acey-ducey suited either.
hand 1: When behind: villian likely folds the turn to a bet but if checked to bets turn sometimes and checks sometimes but he'll usually always check the river. I get to showdown more often and cheaper w/ my line I think. I miss out on some underpair value thoughl.

Raise more preflop.Early in tournies, with big hands, you don't want to let 78s and 89s, etc, getting in there relatively cheap, when they can scoop a big pot. You want KQs, and Kjs, to overcommit with toppair, and then to stack them off.

Raise more preflop.Early in tournies, with big hands, you don't want to let 78s and 89s, etc, getting in there relatively cheap, when they can scoop a big pot. You want KQs, and Kjs, to overcommit with toppair, and then to stack them off.
I just think that either telegraphs two big cards or overcommits me with AK when I miss the flop and have to c/f.
2. Yeah. I like betting 250-300 here. It encourages smaller pairs to call more often. You have a very strong hand and you want action. A hand like 77 will fold on that flop to 400, but by betting less you will possibly get a call.As it is, you have a difficult decision on the turn with over 1/3 of your stack already comitted. I was missed the stack sizes for some reason. :icon_doh:Looking at stacks you cannot bet and fold to a raise. You have 900 left and the pot is 1200. Checking seems right here. You are either 5% or 95%. I think I would check call all-in seeing how big the pot is in relation to the remaining stack. A smaller pair is easily possible and will probably bet here if you check.
see I really wanna find a jack here and get him to commit on the flop cause the jack just isn't folding. As far as underpairs... I think that's player dependent some players are going to call smaller bets here, but others are just going to call most flops and fold most turns. So against those players my value really is on the flop and diminishes on the turn.

Scott, who cares if you "telegraph" your cards. There always someone stupid enough to think his K10s is good. You WILL get paid off.

Scott, who cares if you "telegraph" your cards. There always someone stupid enough to think his K10s is good. You WILL get paid off.
Because what do i raise with AK and 1010 in these spots that still allows me to c-bet flops?
Because what do i raise with AK and 1010 in these spots that still allows me to c-bet flops?
The only time you need to start disguising hands, is when it counts. Ie, later when blinds are bigger, you're stealing more, etc. Right now, get maximum value, by raising bigger. Generally Im in the passive state early. Meaning, Im only raising big hands, and with AKs, AQs...., I am only cont-b with something.
The only time you need to start disguising hands, is when it counts. Ie, later when blinds are bigger, you're stealing more, etc. Right now, get maximum value, by raising bigger. Generally Im in the passive state early. Meaning, Im only raising big hands, and with AKs, AQs...., I am only cont-b with something.
This is where my cash game play screws my tourney play. I c-bet into 3 callers sometimes in a cash game when I whiff. In a tournament it seems like I can rarely ever c-bet heads up successfully. Starting to get the discipline to check sometimes, but it just seems wrong.
This is where my cash game play screws my tourney play. I c-bet into 3 callers sometimes in a cash game when I whiff. In a tournament it seems like I can rarely ever c-bet heads up successfully. Starting to get the discipline to check sometimes, but it just seems wrong.
It does, but look at the pot sizes before you attack them.