Maybe I'm just analyzing too much lately, but I've noticed a lot of players calling w/ just over cards on the flop, then hitting on the turn or river.Example I hold JJ in a .50/1 NL game (blinds .25/.50) I make it 2 to go from middle position and get two callers. Flop comes down w/ harmless cards (barring a potential set), say 952 rainbow, I bet the size of the pot, 6 bucks, and get one caller. The turn card is a Q, I check and he checks behind me, river is an 8. I bet 10 and he calls w/ AQ off. I know what people are going to say, you want that guy in the pot b/c over the long haul you're going to make more money than you lose w/ this type of player, but they always seem to suck out on me. I'm not looking for advice, just want to vent, and see if anyone else has experienced similar misfortune.

I have played a ton of .50/1.00 NL cash lately. I have found that these limits are full of "bad" players. It seems that most of the players here, are over-aggressive with draws and over cards. I have been called to the river w/ overs a majority of the time. There really is not much you can do about it.L* :D

it happens alot anymore... people cant release a good starting hand (i hate AQ, but ya know what i mean)... i think it is a bunch of limit players who didnt adjust to NL yet. i dont uderstand the play either thoughother night i had A 10 in a limped pot... flop came 10 high and i bet hard.i get one callerthe turn is an Ahe flys all in with AKi didnt understand that play at all.

Maybe I'm just analyzing too much lately, but I've noticed a lot of players calling w/ just over cards on the flop, then hitting on the turn or river.Example I hold JJ in a .50/1 NL game (blinds .25/.50) I make it 2 to go from middle position and get two callers. Flop comes down w/ harmless cards (barring a potential set), say 952 rainbow, I bet the size of the pot, 6 bucks, and get one caller. The turn card is a Q, I check and he checks behind me, river is an 8. I bet 10 and he calls w/ AQ off. I know what people are going to say, you want that guy in the pot b/c over the long haul you're going to make more money than you lose w/ this type of player, but they always seem to suck out on me. I'm not looking for advice, just want to vent, and see if anyone else has experienced similar misfortune.
People will always take chances, even at any limits with 2 high cards when the board comes 9 high or 8 high.I was watching full tilt 25/50 NLDavid Grey bet all in with AJ of diamonds and 2 little diamonds out there and another little card.Another guy called 1100 dollars with AK offsuit and lost to a diamond on the turn. This play never goes away :D

You do not know what you are doing.Quit poker.Just kidding.But you may want to raise a bit more than 4XBB with a slightly-strong pocket pair at a (large, I'm guessing) table. You don't want 2 callers. You want 1 or none in NL. Especially at that limit (low), a raise to $2 preflop is really like only doubling the Big Blind b/c of the loose callers down there. Almost better to just limp and look for a set than to raise 4XBB and get two callers. Put it this way, if one caller has AJ and the other has KQ you have a very very slim chance of winning the pot.Anyway that's about it, really.

I'd rather raise AA or KK with any limpers to 8 or 10 BB and take it down preflop then risk a 3 way pot with either of those hands.Again, if there are limpers in the pot...RAISE MORE THAN USUAL

jfarrell, you are 36% to win the pot... edging out KQ by 1 percent or so.i like your raise pre flop.. there is no need to get commited to jacks.... i often limp with them myself... i found that they should be played like 99 or 10 10... your raise is more than acceptable... i dont like to raise more than 4x with them

You know, the best thing to do is just play in higher stakes. You have spend money to make money. Dont play low limit if your not a beginner. Its not a good way to invest money. Just try $1-$2 or $2-$4...Its alot better. Then when you build enough bankroll, move up stakes.-Jack

You know, the best thing to do is just play in higher stakes. You have spend money to make money. Dont play low limit if your not a beginner. Its not a good way to invest money. Just try $1-$2 or $2-$4...Its alot better. Then when you build enough bankroll, move up stakes.-Jack
Sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about. You'd be better off to throw the money in a bonfire, and get some warmth from it then to move up without proper bankroll.
it happens alot anymore... people cant release a good starting hand (i hate AQ, but ya know what i mean)... i think it is a bunch of limit players who didnt adjust to NL yet. i dont uderstand the play either though
I like when they stay in the pot, lose, and show you an AKs which really had no bearing at all on the cards on the board...which are usually all of an entirely different suit.It's as if they wanted to show how great that their hand was preflop, but still lost.

I might understand why a player would call a pot sized bet on the flup under certain situations with just over, but on the whole, they are making a mistake. In limit, I'll often take a card off with just overs if in this situation, but only to the turn. No limit is a different animal. If he is an astute player, and he puts you on a middle pair such as JJ, TT, 99, he recognizes that there are several scare cards to your hand. He'd have to recognize you as a player that is capable of folding a good hand like JJ. Thus, he calls the flop, and if a Q, K, or A comes off, he could very well get you off the hand. He doesn't actually have to have AQ, or any hand at all for this to work. This doesn't take into account other cards, such as flush cards, straight draws, and such. There are often several scare cards that can come up on the turn when you hold JJ. That is an isolated example, but one where a good player might call your bet. On the whole though, with most players, they are making a big mistake.

it happens alot anymore... people cant release a good starting hand (i hate AQ, but ya know what i mean)... i think it is a bunch of limit players who didnt adjust to NL yet. i dont uderstand the play either though
I like when they stay in the pot, lose, and show you an AKs which really had no bearing at all on the cards on the board...which are usually all of an entirely different suit.It's as if they wanted to show how great that their hand was preflop, but still lost.
yeah... cuz you outdrew their monster "big slick" (i hate that goddamn nickname)then they say "big slick never holds up for me..."wtf... its no pair.. there is nothing to hold upi hate it
I know you're not looking for advice, but read this anyway and maybe it'll help. Don't check that turn card. That's a big mistake. Bet it, and see what happens. If you're going to check the turn, then you have to check the river as well, because you have no idea if he hit that queen or not. Betting the turn will give you information as to what he has, and had he called that bet, it would have saved you $10 on the river.

Why would you say that?? You get better quality players then micro. Why do you think professionals play high stakes. Better quality play. So I think your wrong and I stand by my opinion.--Jack

Better quality players mean its harder to make money. Fish pay you off with J high, better players are more aggressive and nasty to play against. Fish try to get fancy and limp with AK then go all in when they miss the flop.

Yeah you get better quality of play but you get better quality of player, you are going to have to work a lot harder to show consitant profits at higher stakes game then you are in a mirco limit game. Higher stakes players are not going to consitantly make mistakes at you for a bundle of chips like mirco limit player will. And if your playing outside you bankroll your just begging for trouble cause you'll make the wrong play to often cause that money is to much of your bankroll, plus you won't be able to comeback from a bad beat that happened there and they still happen.