Why Should Murder Be Wrong?

I haven't read all of the posts, but I do have a question that I would like to find the answer to....some have seemed to imply that murder is wrong in an atheistic universe simply because it would take away the happiness of others, etc. In other words, an immoral thing is something that detracts from the greatness happiness of the greatest number of people, and since murder does this, murder should be considered immoral, as well as any other thing that someone does that takes away the happiness of other people.My question is this: WHY should anyone follow such standards? Why should I not do things that would take away from someone's happiness? Really, who even cares? If it makes me happy to kidnap your mother or wife, rape her, and murder her, why should I care if that does other people harm or not? If there is no objective moral standard, then whatever feels right or good to me is fine for me, what does it matter if someone else objects to what I am doing? In fact, why should I even care about someone else's happiness or whether I am harming someone else? Do other animals care about these things?I am sure I will get several responses, which is what I was hoping for, because I really do not understand an atheist's justification for holding these type of things...

My question is this: WHY should anyone follow such standards? Why should I not do things that would take away from someone's happiness? Really, who even cares? If it makes me happy to kidnap your mother or wife, rape her, and murder her, why should I care if that does other people harm or not? If there is no objective moral standard, then whatever feels right or good to me is fine for me, what does it matter if someone else objects to what I am doing? In fact, why should I even care about someone else's happiness or whether I am harming someone else? Do other animals care about these things?
There's a simple answer. We have what are called "laws." If you were to murder somebody, you'd be arrested and go to jail. And that's bad for you. So, in a society of laws, the reason that we don't murder others is obvious.This question differs from the one from the OP in that it is not asking why murder is wrong, but rather why one should not murder (which are different questions). The follow up question is, "why should murder be illegal?"That is the question that I tried to address above.

More on this as I thought on this topic on the way home from work- o.k., assumeing that I am wrong and there is no afterlife, which I don't even know if atheists say that for a fact, just that we cannot prove one therefore cannot live as if there is one, if ther is no afterlife- what is there exactly? Well, we would be reduced to what is in front of us, the here and now and the temporary, and that is it. Once that is over there are ones that will recall you and have memories of you, a certain percentile will be remembered for works of art, books, films, physical proof of existence that is left behind that would not otherwise be here if not for that person- this percentile has a publicly identifiable legacy. For the rest of us we pretty much just procreate and a part of us lives on because of it. O.k., but this to shall end, because this earth was obviously not built to last, or more to the point we are seemingly somehow meant to destroy it. The earth is consumeable, and we are consumers. So, when this ends as well, and the physical proof is lost gone, and all human consciousnes ends- we have nothing. So, I then have to conclude that if I were to believe the opposite of what I do now, if I were to ask myself "What is this life for? " The answer would have to be, " Not much." Not because it's sexy, or it sounds good becasue really it doesn't- that's a horrible thought, but because that would be what I have to face. So, having went through all of this in my head, I am a little intrigued by this line of thinking,so Crow, Yorke, Wakefield and anybody else who I respect if you could go ahead and point out the holes for me and be so kind as to point me in the right direction when it comes to books that follow this line of thinking, I would really appreciate it.

on a more serious note... i am trying to reply to this thread but i can't. the more i think of the issue the less i seem capable of answering it. loismustdie: is your question still: why should murder be wrong? or is it: what is this life for if there is no god.

on a more serious note... i am trying to reply to this thread but i can't. the more i think of the issue the less i seem capable of answering it. loismustdie: is your question still: why should murder be wrong? or is it: what is this life for if there is no god.
No, the original question was if there is no afterlife what would be the reasoning for adhering to any kind of rules, considering that this life is temporary and inconsequential, my adverse effect if, let's say I murdered a fellow talking meatstick, the adverse effect would be less then negligable. In the grand scheme of things, since there is no grand scheme any actions that I take would be quite alright.
So, having went through all of this in my head, I am a little intrigued by this line of thinking,so Crow, Yorke, Wakefield and anybody else who I respect if you could go ahead and point out the holes for me and be so kind as to point me in the right direction when it comes to books that follow this line of thinking, I would really appreciate it.
the meaning to life can be what we make it - even if it's just to have fun and do whatever makes you happy and fulfilled. no shame in that, even if it's ultimately meaningless as far as history is concerned. i'm enjoying life too much to kill myself.it's also possible (although not likely any time soon) that humans will ultimately move beyond earth and populate other areas of the universe, which would at least give meaning to the existence of humanity as a whole.also i'm only an atheist when it comes to christianity. otherwise i think it's at least a possibility that there is some underlying purpose/meaning to our existence, although i wouldn't bet much on it.
let's say I murdered a fellow talking meatstick, the adverse effect would be less then negligable. In the grand scheme of things, since there is no grand scheme any actions that I take would be quite alright.
the thing is our social evolution has progressed to the point where there ARE adverse effects to society when murder happens. thus murder is morally (socially) wrong from any standpoint.
No, the original question was if there is no afterlife what would be the reasoning for adhering to any kind of rules, considering that this life is temporary and inconsequential, my adverse effect if, let's say I murdered a fellow talking meatstick, the adverse effect would be less then negligable. In the grand scheme of things, since there is no grand scheme any actions that I take would be quite alright.
hmmm. i'll have to think about it for a bit before i try to reply... but by then yorke has probably posted...
Let's assume both of your points are approximately correct. Humans are building towards total enlightenment. As we progress along 2) though, towards total enlightenment, we will begin to understand more and more the intrinsic meaninglessness of life. Will we not gradually begin to escape the illusion of meaning, assuming it is an illusion?
Maybe, but we can't be sure. Yes, in the future humans may come to the universal conclusion that life itself is meaningless and take part in some sort of mass suicide. But I content that no matter how much humans realize and come to grips with the fact that consciousness is merely an illusion, if they are still indeed conscious, they will still be a part of that illusion. Our machine brains realize that they are nothing more than machines, but they still possess the ability to think and (presumably) to feel, so at least some part of them is permanently attached to the illusion and therefore it still provides some meaning to them on some level.
I'm just dealing with your first point here. We have meaning because we create our meaning, our life is enjoyable under the illusion of consciousness. I don't believe it follows that we shouldn't end the lives of others. If ending my friends life somehow increases the quality of my life, adds to my enjoyment, I should probably do it. I have no access to his consciousness, there is no good reason for me to accept that he even has one. I have direct access to mine, and my life will be better if he is dead, probably because he has a mango that I want to eat. Even if I am convinced that he is consciouss (I hate this word, I never know if I'm spelling it right..), why should I be concerned about his emergent mental states?
So, I didn't really claim to have created complete and self consistent philosophy. To fill in the gaps, I will refer to my favorite philosopher.Kant argued that the only self consistent and a priori morality would be one derived from what he called the categorical imperative. This is just a form of the "Golden Rule," meaning that we should act as if our actions would be applied universally. Of course you could argue, "who cares about morality, I am the only one I care about, and I only know and care of my own consciousness."I guess I can't really argue against that without evoking societal considerations (which I think you were trying to avoid by indicating that you were only discussing my first statement, right?). And, now that I think about it, Kant's categorical imperative is just that: a societal consideration. So, no, there is no way for me to argue that murder is bad if we have no consideration for others. If you don't intrinsically believe in any morality, then I can't convince you of it. I would conjecture that Kant's arguments about the categorical imperative only apply if we first assume that there exist an a priori morality (or maybe even one that is driven from societal concerns). But thankfully humans have enough intrinsic drive to be good to one another in general due to our evolutionarily past that we don't have to worry too much about a general feeling of apathy toward our neighbors.
Put it this way- if in fact we find out life is utterly meaningless, and any meaning we give it is inherited, created by peers and self taught illusion, than it would be the truly enlightened ones who decide to take the step to just do whatever it is that they please, because they see above the illusion. I want that mango- bye bye. Now, let me extrapilate this a little- this is already being done in corporate america, where decisions are made by people we never meet that benefit the company and that's it- corporate america gets away with atrocities every day that you and I would be lynched for, but that's the way it is and for the most part when these atrocities are brought to light we recognize it for what it is, and how inherintly wrong some of these decisions are because they take no consideration for the greater good. But, ultimately if atheists are right than corporate america is right the **** on, and should be recognized for it's brilliant proggressive ways.
Lois,Why do you think an atheists view on life is one of utter meaninglessness? Just because there is no afterlife, does not mean a life has no meaning.Your thoughts on morals being an illusion of society (given life has no meaning) has been played out in a dozen movies. However, I think that you're neglecting the one overriding feature of evolution, that is, the continuation of a species. In the end, greed, murder, vengeance, etc, goes agianst the greater good of the species, which is not what we are designed for. That's why the meaning we give life is common theme throughout various cultures and civilizations. It's part of what helped us get where we are today. It also runs very close to the basic morals the church teaches.
More on this as I thought on this topic on the way home from work- o.k., assumeing that I am wrong and there is no afterlife, which I don't even know if atheists say that for a fact, just that we cannot prove one therefore cannot live as if there is one, if ther is no afterlife- what is there exactly?
Good question. Actually, leave out the no afterlife part, and just ask what happens to us when we die. This is one I can answer 100% truthfully. Ready....I don't know.Whew. That feels good. Now, can you answer the same question with the same level of honesty?
Well, we would be reduced to what is in front of us, the here and now and the temporary, and that is it. Once that is over there are ones that will recall you and have memories of you, a certain percentile will be remembered for works of art, books, films, physical proof of existence that is left behind that would not otherwise be here if not for that person- this percentile has a publicly identifiable legacy. For the rest of us we pretty much just procreate and a part of us lives on because of it.
Another interesting point. Yes, our physical selves obviously get recycled back into the universe - actually, our body recycles every one of its cells an average of 7 years while we are alive - but what happens to the concious part capable of thoughts, imagination, emotion, and everything else? Hmm....again, I don't know. It could be something grand, or it could be something dull.
So, I then have to conclude that if I were to believe the opposite of what I do now, if I were to ask myself "What is this life for? " The answer would have to be, " Not much." Not because it's sexy, or it sounds good becasue really it doesn't- that's a horrible thought, but because that would be what I have to face.
Let me ask you this. What is a monkey's life for? Or your dog's? Or a cockroach? Or the dinosaurs? They are all living, but they don't get invited to hand out with the big man upstairs.Again, there does not have to be an afterlife for your life to have meaning. Quite the opposite. If you knew this was a one time deal, wouldn't you spend more of your life living? Also, just because I'm an atheisist, does not believe I don't believe in an afterlife. Something wonderful may happen to you when you die, I don't know. But I do know it is very unlikely that you live on clouds, with a old guy with a white beard, all your dead relatives (the ones that praised the bearded man anyway), in your human form, doing all the **** you loved on earth whenever you want.
Also, just because I'm an atheisist, does not believe I don't believe in an afterlife. Something wonderful may happen to you when you die, I don't know. But I do know it is very unlikely that you live on clouds, with a old guy with a white beard, all your dead relatives (the ones that praised the bearded man anyway), in your human form, doing all the **** you loved on earth whenever you want.
you're not an atheist :club:

Screech, what I am doing is looking at things from different angles and coming up with my own ideas if I were to actually buy into the angle that I was looking from. You asked an interesting question- What is a monkeys life for? Well, looking form an atheist point of view it would not matter, or at least from my take on it- the only thing that would mattter is self preservation and of those I happened to care about or loved- which is even questionable, I have heard different atheists at times go so far to say that love itself is not even real, it is just chemistry manifested. I have seen a few of you mention the continuation of the species, yet this is never brought up when speaking of, say, abortion- I think we could all agree that thousands die per day and are barely even accounted for. My point is that my actions in the scheme of things mean nothing, they are barely a ripple UNLESS somehow these actions live on and I am held accountable for them through eternity. Speaking of abortion- and I don't want to debate this but it's just something I read today that was interesting- not a whole lot of women abortionists, mostly men, like you pretty much can't find a woman doing these procedures. That made me think a little, and actually I was annoyed that I had never though to ask that question myself. Back on track- it would seem by some of screech remarks that he isn't really an atheist. Woud that be a correct statement?

Of course you could argue, "who cares about morality, I am the only one I care about, and I only know and care of my own consciousness."I guess I can't really argue against that without evoking societal considerations (which I think you were trying to avoid by indicating that you were only discussing my first statement, right?). And, now that I think about it, Kant's categorical imperative is just that: a societal consideration. So, no, there is no way for me to argue that murder is bad if we have no consideration for others. If you don't intrinsically believe in any morality, then I can't convince you of it. I would conjecture that Kant's arguments about the categorical imperative only apply if we first assume that there exist an a priori morality (or maybe even one that is driven from societal concerns). But thankfully humans have enough intrinsic drive to be good to one another in general due to our evolutionarily past that we don't have to worry too much about a general feeling of apathy toward our neighbors.
I guess my main point is that in a scientific materialistic worldview, although "intrinsic morality" is explainable via evolutionary arguments, they are impossible to justify via rational argument. The idea that there could be an "a priori morality" in such a worldview seems extremely difficult or impossible to argue for.
My question is this: WHY should anyone follow such standards? Why should I not do things that would take away from someone's happiness? Really, who even cares? If it makes me happy to kidnap your mother or wife, rape her, and murder her, why should I care if that does other people harm or not? If there is no objective moral standard, then whatever feels right or good to me is fine for me, what does it matter if someone else objects to what I am doing? In fact, why should I even care about someone else's happiness or whether I am harming someone else? Do other animals care about these things?
There are many individuals that have no qualms regarding murder and/or rape, torture etc For them, within a vacum, these acts are not immoral.However we are social animals and as such have developed empathy, from which we derive our morals. This is consistent with other social animals who also have crime and punishment type behaviours.Morals are a by-product of survival and when observed in a group are present when other 'needs' are satisified. Murder is a simple example. All social groups find it objectional yet all will quite happily kill when threatened. This is hardly unique to man
If there is no consequence for our actions- if when it is all said and done, nothing happens- there is no reason why life should not be just a free for all- kill em all, and let nobody sort out the bodies, because nobody truly cares, at least no one of consequence, because consequence does not exist.
What I don't understand is why anyone would want to kill somebody else, regardless of consequence. I don't think someone needs to worry about burning in hell to keep them from killing another person. I think it is enough just to know that I value my life, and I wouldn't want anyone to kill me. Therefore it only seems natural that others would think the same or along similar lines. Why would I be so selfish? Just because I don't believe in god?
Guys, if I sound a little not like myself it's because for the past like 24 hours I have been reading Ann Coulters book "Godless" and just letting my mind consider different things, one of them being the true value we put on life as a society or even more pinpointed as Americans.
Ann Coulter? Not to appear biased, but I can't imagine what would compel anybody to read a book by someone who is quite obviously filled with hate for so many people. She definately can't be described as a "compassionate" conservative.
What I don't understand is why anyone would want to kill somebody else, regardless of consequence. I don't think someone needs to worry about burning in hell to keep them from killing another person. I think it is enough just to know that I value my life, and I wouldn't want anyone to kill me. Therefore it only seems natural that others would think the same or along similar lines. Why would I be so selfish? Just because I don't believe in god?Ann Coulter? Not to appear biased, but I can't imagine what would compel anybody to read a book by someone who is quite obviously filled with hate for so many people. She definately can't be described as a "compassionate" conservative.
I read alot of stuff- sometimes the message is decent regardless of the messanger. She makes some great points.