Actually, Monopoly is not all luck. Yes, there is a heavy luck factor because of the dice rolling, but just do some research on Monopoly strategy. You will see that if you mange to own property with high landing frequency (either acquired through self-purchase or trade) you will be better off. So, having that knowledge helps. Also, there are strategies that are tactical, such as deliberately causing housing shortages, to prevent someone else improving their property. Since there are only 32 houses and 12 hotels, if there aren't enough houses for you to get to the hotel stage, you cannot build the hotel, even if you can afford it. Another key thing is, after the Chance and Community Chests cards are shuffled from the start of the game, the order always stays the same and you can memorize what they are. So, with that knowledge you will know if it was worth it to pay to get out of jail or use your card and try to land on the spot to get another one. I used to follow the Parker Brothers Monopoly tournaments and a lot of those participants really know what they are doing. That was years ago though, so I don't know if they still have them, but I remember one of the prizes the winner would get is a Monopoly set filled with real money, which if I remember correctly is $15,140.I used to be really good at it and beat my friends most of the time, so if I can beat them consistently, then they must be some skill factor to it.
All of those require luck. Landing on certain properties is the entire game. Which is decided by rolling dice. It's all luck. If you manage to get a monopoly on all of one color without trading, you've essentially won the game unless the others can trade properties to have monopolies themselves. Nobody can force a trade either, so the game could just boil down to luck of the dice.As far as reading cards and all of that nonsense... you're talking about giving yourself meaningless "edges". These matter not when such an enormous amount of luck is involved. I laugh whenever someone says they are "good" or "bad" at monopoly. Sure there are tournaments but the tournaments are all about luck as well. There is no strategy that can allow the more skilled player to win every game. It's not like chess or something. Monopoly is just a family game that is set up for anyone to win.If you beat your friends consistently, that means they are probably retarded and make silly trades to allow you to win. I guarantee that if nobody trades anything, the winner would be determined through luck alone. As far as trading being a skill... it really isn't. Like I said, if you play with people that actually know the rules... they wouldn't make silly trades to you that give you huge edges.Landing on more properties and buying them early on is all luck. Just like missing opponent's properties that would cost you big is also all luck. Owning the more frequently visited properties is a matter of getting lucky enough to land on them first.Not trying to turn this into some sort of huge war.... just trying to explain how there isn't skill involved.
All of those require luck. Landing on certain properties is the entire game. Which is decided by rolling dice. It's all luck. If you manage to get a monopoly on all of one color without trading, you've essentially won the game unless the others can trade properties to have monopolies themselves. Nobody can force a trade either, so the game could just boil down to luck of the dice.As far as reading cards and all of that nonsense... you're talking about giving yourself meaningless "edges". These matter not when such an enormous amount of luck is involved. I laugh whenever someone says they are "good" or "bad" at monopoly. Sure there are tournaments but the tournaments are all about luck as well. There is no strategy that can allow the more skilled player to win every game. It's not like chess or something. Monopoly is just a family game that is set up for anyone to win.If you beat your friends consistently, that means they are probably retarded and make silly trades to allow you to win. I guarantee that if nobody trades anything, the winner would be determined through luck alone. As far as trading being a skill... it really isn't. Like I said, if you play with people that actually know the rules... they wouldn't make silly trades to you that give you huge edges.Landing on more properties and buying them early on is all luck. Just like missing opponent's properties that would cost you big is also all luck. Owning the more frequently visited properties is a matter of getting lucky enough to land on them first.Not trying to turn this into some sort of huge war.... just trying to explain how there isn't skill involved.
Maybe not skill, but definitely tactics.-Which properties to trade-When to mortgage-When to buy/sell houses-Getting out of jailwww.monopoly.com has a few "strategy" suggestions.Anyone know good sites to play online?
I'm a little confused as to why you underlined the housing shortage strategy as deemed it as luck. I remember one time, this guy deliberately sold some of his hotels back down to take up the remaining houses and to prevent others from upgrading. If I remember correctly, I think I read about that one in another tournament.Okay, I agree there is a heavy luck factor because of the dice rolling, but just by knowing that you are most likely to roll a 6-8 with two dice, already gives you a slight edge. Meaning, you would know if you should buy a houses in a particular color set, if the opponent gets near that area or if you manage to own an entire block. And yes, as someone else mentioned try to get up to at least three houses and your sets quickly as that is where the biggest rent increase is.Yes, I do beat my friends a lot because I usually make trades where I have the advantage and they agree to them as they are unaware I'm getting the better end of the deal. Since I know what's better property to own, I usually take advantage of it in trades. Also, the other thing is, just because you land on property doesn't mean you have to buy and and can get it for cheaper from an auction or if someone else passes one up and you know it's worth it to own, you can bid for it as well.So, it is not all luck. With more knowledge that others you can better than them. After all, knowledge is power.
I'm curious about the properties with high landing frequency. Do you mean the ones with cards, like St. Charles, Illinois and Boardwalk, or are there others? It seems that the likelihood of all other properties being landed on should be equal.
the red ones and the ones on the other corner of free parking.highest landing, and the highest earning for the money you pay for it

damn, how did i miss such a great thread that I started. I'd just like to say Monopoly rocks and if your ever looking for a lower stake monopoly game I'm up for it DN. and btw id pwn u all in monopoly. i play on my phone during every class. i used to play poker on my laptop, but somebody up top banned those from the classroom.

damn, how did i miss such a great thread that I started. I'd just like to say Monopoly rocks and if your ever looking for a lower stake monopoly game I'm up for it DN. and btw id pwn u all in monopoly. i play on my phone during every class. i used to play poker on my laptop, but somebody up top banned those from the classroom.
I used to do the same thing because my college had a wireless connection, then people would start to watch me play and it would get a bit annoying.
Maybe not skill, but definitely tactics.-Which properties to trade-When to mortgage-When to buy/sell houses-Getting out of jailwww.monopoly.com has a few "strategy" suggestions.Anyone know good sites to play online?
Yeah but it's mostly just common knowledge that anyone can pick up with one or two times playing...-Which properties to trade - If nobody trades with you, this is worthless-When to mortgage - When you need money. There is no other reason to mortgage-When to buy/sell houses - When you actually get a monopoly you buy as many houses as you can afford without putting yourself in a hole. You sell when you need the money. Very rarely are you going to be able to cause a shortage of houses-Getting out of jail - if you need to get out quickly to buy properties, you pay to get out. if you need to stay in to save yourself from landing on something, you stay in as long as possible. Simple stuff.Okay, I can't say the game is ALL luck, but if you play with anyone who actually plays the game right, then it's all luck.Games.com used to have it... then AOL took it over and it got removed... (another reason to hate AOL) I'm not sure if it ever returned. I'm too lazy to check again.

trading is the lone skill in monopoly. Its all about control though. If youre able to get a monopoly, even one, and have one property of each color so your opponent cant, he's ****ed. But if you both have one of each, then the skill comes in

I can only imagine how much money they played just on the roll of the dice. Phil Ivey for Monopoly-Craps, anyone?
I've heard Ivey is a craps player before. Does anyone have any idea how much he plays and if he is a winning player?

Do you guys play strict game rules or do you modify the rules so that its more fun to play because one thing I notice in Monopoly is that the box rules don't allow you to have as much fun as you should.

Do you guys play strict game rules or do you modify the rules so that its more fun to play because one thing I notice in Monopoly is that the box rules don't allow you to have as much fun as you should.
Pretty much everyone plays by a universal set of monopoly rules which aren't the rules on the box. Most people don't unmortgage properly, most people use free parking as the space to win all the tax money. Most people pay the $200 on income tax because they don't know how to calculate. As far as I know.It's like when I was explaining the actual 8-ball rules to a friend while playing pool. Pretty much everyone plays the cue ball in the kitchen when an opponent scratches, when in reality you can place the ball anywhere (the kitchen restriction is only if the opponent scratched on break). Though I'm not sure if everyone else plays that way... just seems like my family and all of their friends played incorrectly.