You Us People Are Crazy

wow your guys firearm laws are really light.http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/you guys can pretty much buy as many guns (assault rifles included) as you want. and in nevada you can walk down the street with a shotgun in your hand on the way to the supermarket.a freakin child can carry a gun in public as long as an adult is there with them.discuss

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow your guys firearm laws are really light.http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/you guys can pretty much buy as many guns (assault rifles included) as you want. and in nevada you can walk down the street with a shotgun in your hand on the way to the supermarket.a freakin child can carry a gun in public as long as an adult is there with them.discuss
wana fight about it?
Just a different way of doing things, Dan.A child could not carry a gun in public.You may not have a "drawn" gun in public. You can wear one on your side but if you had it in any sort of offensive stance, you'd be screwed.To conceal it, you have to have a license. Anyone that wants to get a LEGAL assault rifle in the US has to pass a background check and probably wait 3 days. So, if you have a guy break into your place in Australia with an illegal gun, good luck with your cricket wicket/bat.
So, if you have a guy break into your place in Australia with an illegal gun, good luck with your cricket wicket/bat.
Do you actually own a gun for the purpose of defense? Where do you live where you fear deadly break-ins so much, and why do you still live there?
Just a different way of doing things, Dan.A child could not carry a gun in public.You may not have a "drawn" gun in public. You can wear one on your side but if you had it in any sort of offensive stance, you'd be screwed.To conceal it, you have to have a license. Anyone that wants to get a LEGAL assault rifle in the US has to pass a background check and probably wait 3 days. So, if you have a guy break into your place in Australia with an illegal gun, good luck with your cricket wicket/bat.
Goddamn, that's harsh! Three whole days??? I guess that gives the buyer some time to sober up and rethink things.
1. Do you actually own a gun for the purpose of defense? 2. Where do you live where you fear deadly break-ins so much, 3. and why do you still live there?
1. Yes. 2. An ethnically diverse neighborhood in the inner city of Rochester. 3. Because it's not next week yet. I'll feel foolish about owning a shotgun for home defense after I move into the suburbs. Actually, probably not. I'll still feel better knowing that it's there if I need it, and the rest of the time I'll just ignore it. I bought a shotgun the week after a friend of mine was home invaded and locked in his own basement for 12 hours, and I won't be apologizing for it if gun ownership offends anyone's sensibilities. This isn't a nice world we live in sometimes.
1. Yes. 2. An ethnically diverse neighborhood in the inner city of Rochester. 3. Because it's not next week yet. I'll feel foolish about owning a shotgun for home defense after I move into the suburbs. Actually, probably not. I'll still feel better knowing that it's there if I need it, and the rest of the time I'll just ignore it. I bought a shotgun the week after a friend of mine was home invaded and locked in his own basement for 12 hours, and I won't be apologizing for it if gun ownership offends anyone's sensibilities. This isn't a nice world we live in sometimes.
I live in the city as well. Armed break-ins definitely happen; I only own a hunting rifle though and I don't keep it loaded or in reach for possible self defense, and I don't know if I'll ever get a handgun. I don't think it's a bad idea though and I also think you'd need a US Constitution change to be able to take them away.

I don't get the 'gun for self-defence' thing. If someone breaks into your house, are you going to shoot him and have the chance that he will die as a result? (Please don't go into the "I'll just shot him in the arm" bit)Won't you be charged with manslagther regardless of the fact that he broke into your house?Discuss.

I don't get the 'gun for self-defence' thing. If someone breaks into your house, are you going to shoot him and have the chance that he will die as a result? (Please don't go into the "I'll just shot him in the arm" bit)Won't you be charged with manslagther regardless of the fact that he broke into your house?Discuss.
it depends which state you live in. in some states you would get charged with something if you shoot a guy who comes into your house with only a bat or something. but in others you have much more freedom to shoot intruders.
A lot of what you say here varies greatly depending on the state in which you live. Some states have open carry laws where as long as you aren't a convicted felon, you can carry a weapon as long as it is visible. Most states do have some sort of licensing process to allow people to carry concealed weapons. Some states will not let you carry a weapon at all (which I feel shows blatant disregard for the 2nd Amendment). Some states will recognize the concealed carry permits of other states (reciprocity), while others do not. The carrying of a weapon in your car is covered by different laws in different states (some consider it concealed carry, some don't consider it carrying at all).As for buying an assault rifle, there is a background check (as there is for ALL gun purchases in the United States; this is how they find out whether or not you are a convicted felon), but there is no waiting period, at least in some states. I personally own two rifles that are considered assault rifles, and I walked out with them the same day I purchased each of them.As for owning guns in general, I do keep one by my bed, loaded, for self defense. I used to carry when I lived in Indiana, but I haven't bothered to get a new license in my new home state. I don't hunt. I have guns mainly for the enjoyment that I get from sport shooting. Nothing helps me blow off steam more than going out to the range for target practice, plinking, or skeet shooting. It's nothing different than going out and playing a pick-up game of basketball, except the equipment used in sport shooting can also be used to kill other people, or animals.

Many states now have what they call an "instant check". The gun dealer calls into a designated agency. In Tennessee you call TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigations) with the persons ID and gets an instant approval, denial, or pending.So if you are a law obiding citizen you can get whatcha whatcha want instantly. Same goes for assault rifles (in Tn anyway).That is unless someone is confusing an assault rifle with an fully automatic weapon. If you're speaking of that then you need to apply for a class 3 license. It takes (last I saw) 6 - 8 months to get the background checks for that. BUT you can still instantly purchase a fully automatic weapon but it has to be kept at the class 3 dealers location until the approval is granted.Many people buy the automatic weapon and keep it at an armory where they have a firing range. That way they can go shooting the weapon while waiting for the approval.As far as carrying a shotgun walking down the street I'm not doubting you but when I lived in Phoenix Az the law was you could carry a sidearm out in the open. (There were many areas that you couldn't do this like at a bank, major sporting event etc) I guess I would have to get clarification of the word sidearm.Also just like the previous poster said you can carry it out in the open but to be able to conceal it you need to go through some training and other red tape. There are only a few states that allow you to just carry it out in the open. But there are many many states that allow you to gain a conceal carry permit.My father owns about 80 guns. Mostly because he just likes to buy stuff. I own 2 1-45acp handgun for protection that normally just stays in a safe. I also own an assault rifle because my dad gave it to me.

Do you actually own a gun for the purpose of defense? Where do you live where you fear deadly break-ins so much, and why do you still live there?
I own one for defensive purposes. I live in a not-so-good section of town. Just over the weekend, there was a reported robbery in my apartment building. The day after I moved in, there was a drug bust at the house across the street, and there have been 3 more since then. I would rather shoot first and ask questions later (but I grew up in Texas, so maybe that has something to do with it).

Meh, I just thought maybe there would be a longer period to wait for an assault rifle, but apparently guns is guns from what I'm reading.Dreamcaster, more often than not, if you shoot an intruder, especially one that is creeping around your house at night, they'd have to prove that you snuck up on him and shot him in the head when he was unarmed and his back was turned before you had any chance of getting into trouble. I think in some states you can even pop someone on your land, but not many. The problem is that you spell "defense" wrong. People that spell it "defence" are much less likely to aggressively defend.I keeed

Goddamn, that's harsh! Three whole days??? I guess that gives the buyer some time to sober up and rethink things.
or more time to plan who there going to shoot!+1 to george carlin
In Indiana if some one breaks into your house and you shoot them there is no crime committed.Anyone who has any sense at all about guns knows that you never shoot to wound, never. You shoot where you are most likely to stop the intruder. Dead center chest with a double tap. Bang Bang over.I have never ever pulled my gun. I have had my hand on it but never pulled it. The only way I will ever point my gun at another human is if I am going to fire it.
i don't care what this thread is about, i'm not going to read it...i don't need to...i automatically know it sucks because it was started by everyone's favorite lameass
+2