Most Likely To Miss The Playoffs In The Al

Who will miss it?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who's out in the AL?

• Red Sox
    • Tigers
    • White Sox
    • Yankees

Since the Red Sox have one legit starter I have to say it's going to be them. As bad as the Yankee pitching is the Red Sox have it a lot worse.

Essentially, the only team from the AL East that goes on to the playoffs is the leader at the end.Tigers and Sox are definites and I think Boston will hold up against the Yankees.Yankees are going to have to use the dreaded R-word: rebuild.

How come everyone likes the Red Sox? They have 1 decent starter.

Essentially, the only team from the AL East that goes on to the playoffs is the leader at the end.Tigers and Sox are definites and I think Boston will hold up against the Yankees.Yankees are going to have to use the dreaded R-word: rebuild.
You mean like they do every year?We haven't biased our responses by like, dislike OP, we've given you an honest answer. You're obviously in the minority. Back of the bus for you.
I don't like either but I dislike the Yanks here more.. I don't see them making it w/o Sheff and Matsui.. I think Matsui should be back though. AND can their pitching hold up? Can Mussina continue to carry the team? Will RJ hold up and will Wright, Wang, and whoever else pitches on the team be able to back Mussina up?For Boston, Can Beckett settle down and not give up 100 HRs a game? Can Lester and Snyder pitch in pressure situations? When Clement comes back will he be in good form? Can their bullpen stand one run games and not rely so much on Ortiz?My pick Red Sox but it will be down to the wire.I may have sounded like a moron because I don't know a shit load about either of the teams but I know some.
If the Red Sox have only one decent starter, then the Yankees and White Sox only have one decent starter also. Besides Contreras and Mussina, none of the other starters have numbers demonstrably better than Tim Wakefield (Wang comes closest, and no one on the White Sox staff does...most underrated subplot of this season is how bad the White Sox starters are compared to popular perception). I'm suprised that you've forgotten about him, greatwhite. After all, the Yankees have been his ***** except for one pitch in 2003. The Tigers are safest for now (though I question their pitching holding up). After that things are murky. Finally, Snyder's just a stopgap. He won't be pitching for us come September.

Yes the Wsox pitching does suck at the moment but when they are on their game which they have been this year I think they own in pitching.

Yes the Wsox pitching does suck at the moment but when they are on their game which they have been this year I think they own in pitching.
They're certainly underperforming. Contreras has been great. Buehrle is better than what he's been doing lately. Vazquez is capable of better. I'd be worried about Garland, who is probably not much better than what he's showing right now and Garcia, who has lost some significant zip on his fastball. I hear that Vazquez and Garcia are being shopped around, so maybe that problem will sort itself out. Get McCarthy in the rotation and there should be some improvement.
I'd be worried about Garland, who is probably not much better than what he's showing right now ...
Garland's last 3 starts: 3 wins with a 1.77 ERA. He probably isn't much better than that.
Garland's last 3 starts: 3 wins with a 1.77 ERA. He probably isn't much better than that.
Holy small sample size Batman!He's about league average for his career and a guy that doesn't strike many hitters out. I tend to think that last year was a bit of an aberration.
Since the Red Sox have one legit starter I have to say it's going to be them. As bad as the Yankee pitching is the Red Sox have it a lot worse.
Really? Because when did Curt Schilling not become a "legit starter" or how about Beckett? If it comes down to winning the AL East to get into the playoffs and we have to beat the Yankees how have Schilling and Beckett done against the Yankees in the past. ALCS 2004? WS 2003? This is a joke of a statement. Not to mention our bullpen pwns the Yankees bullpen.
Really? Because when did Curt Schilling not become a "legit starter" or how about Beckett? If it comes down to winning the AL East to get into the playoffs and we have to beat the Yankees how have Schilling and Beckett done against the Yankees in the past. ALCS 2004? WS 2003? This is a joke of a statement. Not to mention our bullpen pwns the Yankees bullpen.
Curt Schilling was the legit starter I was talking about. Although Becket beat up the mighty Royals he has been terrible of late.
Curt Schilling was the legit starter I was talking about. Although Becket beat up the mighty Royals he has been terrible of late.
Last few starts.8 IP, 0 ER4.1, 76, 5 (win)7, 37.2, 28, 26, 25.1, 35 very good to great starts, 1 mediocre one, 2 poor ones - one of which got him a win. Not quite terrible. Sorry that you're unanimously wrong so far in your poll.

If Garland continues to pitch inside to hitters he will keep it up.. I think he will continue to win and will surprised people.. I put him down for 16-18 wins.

I like to compare Garlands 2005 year to Joy Mays's 2001 year. Although that is not a great comparison because Mays showed to be injury prone. But no matter, look at Mays now.
Well, up through 2001 they looks like similar pitchers. League average ERA, 4.5K/9, WHIP higher than league average, both walk a lot of guys. Like Garland in 2005, Mays busted out a bit in 2001, mainly by cutting down on his walks. Not the best comparison now because Mays was hurt in 2002, his K-rate fell off a cliff (a low cliff at that) and started to really suck. The odd thing about Garland this year is that his K-rate is the same as it ever was, his walk rate is the same as the improved rate from last year, but he's giving up way more hits than ever and his WHIP has reverted to his career average. I remember seeing a graph....and woo...I found it showing that Garland for his career has been lucky on batting average for balls in play. Playing in front of an excellent defense helps (I saw another one showing that the White Sox are not an excellent defense this year...not going to hurt that down), but largely BABIP is mostly a factor of luck and regardless of the pitcher will eventually regress to around .290. 232_P_season_full_7_20060718.pngWhat this means is that Garland giving up all these hits is what we'd expect out of him, and not back luck (we can see why having a low k-rate is bad news). Here's the site I culled that from. Any baseball fan could lose himself here for a while. My favorite part of the site is the game logs (under teams), where it charts probability of a team winning the game for every batter and notes how much player affects that probability.
White sox, just cause I see all these white sox pics in here and whatnot and it might piss some people off.
That's a good reason.
That's a good reason.
The reasoning's silly, but he picked the most likely result according to BP as of today.
Thanks for backing up my statement with some great statistical evidence. Your gonna be my go-to-guy for baseball info from now on.
No problem. I'll try not to screw it up.
The past is not always repeated. Remember that.
Unless you mean Garland's season last year, I disagree.