New Life's A Bluff

a comic isn't automatically funny just because it has to do with poker...ORa comic isn't automatically funny just because you throw in a couple of references to fillmaff...ANDyeah you just got flamed by a guy with fewer than a hundred posts

a comic isn't automatically funny just because it has to do with poker...ORa comic isn't automatically funny just because you throw in a couple of references to fillmaff...ANDyeah you just got flamed by a guy with fewer than a hundred posts
definately one of the worst ones yet
Harsh. I thought it was decent.
i posted one a while ago that said "anyone else find these funny?" and i was told its not supposed to be funny. i still dont like it
But if people think it's funny then it was meant to be funny. I don't get it either.
i posted one a while ago that said "anyone else find these funny?" and i was told its not supposed to be funny. i still dont like it
I never told you they weren't supposed to be funny. I said ALL comics are not meant to be funny nor understood by everyone. (general statement) If I could please everyone.. I would be a millionaire. Not everyone is going to like everything being done. Freedom is great isn't it!?We will be switching over to a M, W, F format within the next few weeks. It will allow us to open up the characters a little more. Right now a gimmick comic is really all you can try and pull off with a weekly update. An attempt at any sort of continuity would be lost in a few days as people's attention spans are super short.LAB is a work in progress and will always be. I ask any of you to check out the early days of any major webcomic and you will see a world of difference between then and now. Like it or don't like it. The option is yours. And this option wasn't there a couple of weeks ago so I look at it as a good thing. Poker has needed something like this for a long time.

It's well drawn.But I think this comic should be funny. Unless it's a soap comic like Rex Morgan, it needs to have humor. It just should.And I don't know how to tell you to become funny. I'm not sure one can. Have you considered collaborating with a friend you have that happens to be particularly funny? There's no shame in that game.

With the generic professional-looking illustrations there is potential.But when I read it my brain feels numb.And a little angry.

The general idea is that it will be a comedic approach to poker and comics. Give us time to establish ourselves. We are just now reaching one month since launch. We have done only done 4 thursday updates. 2 of the bigger strips done to grab at the emotion of the poker player.. more so myself than anyone. The first one and the "Dream Big" with DN at the table. Again if someone else can say "I can relate to that" then fine... the joke or funny in those is subtle. 10/2 looking at paycheck... Hellmuth crying...etc.. I loved the bluff beer one. Maybe the idea is a little dated as it was written a while back but I was doing it regardless.The other 2 thursday strips were highly praised despite the cliche in the river comic. I received a nice email from Clonie on the strip we did about her. She seemed to like it. As far as the writer goes.. that's me.. and to fire me you loose what some of you claim to like about it. Every scene, every detail comes from my head and is written by me. The writer does a little more than just stick words in bubbles. All I can say is we have over a hundred scripts written and when we switch to 3 days a week we can settle into that routine and develop the characters. This is precisely why poker comics never worked before. One panel gags with tired old jokes can only be done so many times. In my eyes what is needed is a relatable character driven comic. The readers will have a huge impact in where we take things. I don't profess to know it all about the game and the best I can do is try and convey an idea that most will appreciate. I am open to any suggestions and ideas for direction you guys have. email or pm them to me.

I never told you they weren't supposed to be funny. I said ALL comics are not meant to be funny nor understood by everyone. (general statement) If I could please everyone.. I would be a millionaire. Not everyone is going to like everything being done. Freedom is great isn't it!?*We will be switching over to a M, W, F format within the next few weeks. It will allow us to open up the characters a little more. Right now a gimmick comic is really all you can try and pull off with a weekly update. An attempt at any sort of continuity would be lost in a few days as people's attention spans are super short.LAB is a work in progress and will always be. I ask any of you to check out the early days of any major webcomic and you will see a world of difference between then and now. Like it or don't like it. The option is yours. And this option wasn't there a couple of weeks ago so I look at it as a good thing. Poker has needed something like this for a long time.***
*Still not funny***Don't be too modest now
You're not the artist?
Nope... writer and creator.and some of my rant above might not make sense... I was too busy writing the reply to this post and a PM suggesting I should be fired. I mixed replies together.

I think it has potential...NH

The art is great but like everyone else is saying... the humor is dry and not very inspiring.I mean anyone with half a brain can come up with "lets have the guy hit aces... and then like... he's waiting to not get sucked out on... and then he gets sucked out on with the river card and a river comes out of his computer and drenches him! LOL" It's just stupid and not remotely funny.Take heed of some other popular web comics and see how they operate. Usually the funny comics that are about a particular subject, use recent news and non-relating humor to bring the funny in. The only comic I liked out of all so far was the clonie vs paris thing because it was paced well and poked fun at the situation. But even that wasn't good enough, as everyone else could have thought of the same joke..The trick is to come up with jokes that aren't lame or tired or something that anyone could think of... Otherwise you're just a mediocre writer. It's gotta be something that even poker HATERS would laugh at, because it's so darn funny.My advice is to write out the jokes and then ask people who are not liking the current stuff, whether or not it's funny. You can't get away with the "well you can't please everyone"... because I think I'm a pretty open guy when it comes to stuff like this, but the comic is just lacking in funny.I enjoy most of Penny Arcade's comics as well as the majority of "You Damn Kid" comics... I also think I haver a pretty good sense of humor, so I hope you take some of my words to mind.

Man, you think you guys were all experts and doing this yourself. Yeah, its a little early, but if you go read online comics, go back to their start. Even PvP, Penny Arcade and Sluggy were pretty crap to start but got a roll on and moved forward. I think that Lifes A Bluff has HUGE potential and maybe some SUPPORT from the poker community, especially in this forum, would inspire years of quality humor for us to enjoy.Darn hack trolls....grumble grumble.

Man, you think you guys were all experts and doing this yourself. Yeah, its a little early, but if you go read online comics, go back to their start. Even PvP, Penny Arcade and Sluggy were pretty crap to start but got a roll on and moved forward. I think that Lifes A Bluff has HUGE potential and maybe some SUPPORT from the poker community, especially in this forum, would inspire years of quality humor for us to enjoy.Darn hack trolls....grumble grumble.
Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about.