The Worst Call Ever (according To El Matador)

Daniel Negreanu, showing 3 10 10, calls a bet from Juan Carlos Mortensen, who shows 5 5 9. Neither player has a spectacular Razz hand, where pairs count against you. On sixth street, Negreanu gets the 2 and Mortensen gets the 5, giving him trips. Negreanu raises and Mortensen calls. Both check after receiving their seventh card. Negreanu shows (A 6)31010(3) and Mortensen mucks. Negreanu leaps from his chair and shouts, "Yes! I won a Razz hand!" while Mortensen complains Negreanu's call was the worst he's ever seen - Negreanu called with a pair of Tens, which were beat by Mortensen's lower pair of Fives.

Daniel in his latest blog says he played flawlessly with the possible exception of one call on 6th street in Stud 8, with no mention of this Razz hand.Nobody cares to comment on this hand? I think it warrants some discussion.

it's not a good call, but in my mind, it's not a bad call either.with the call here, daniel's hoping for two things to happen so that he can take down this pot:1) he's hoping carlos bricks2) he's hoping he catches perfectif both factors fall into place, he takes down the pot. both factors did fall until place, and, especially showing trips on that hand, carlos cannot play further.i myself would like to hear daniel's reasoning behind this hand, and perhaps what he had underneath.

I think Daniel knows what he is doing. And this is call is fine.Even if we give the opponent A 2 in the hole, if Daniel has any kind of reasonable hand, he is less than a 2 : 1 dog. His pot odds will almost always be good enough to take one off here, especially since he is not committed to calling down if he catches bad.This is from twodimes:pokenum -mc 500000 -r tc ts 3h 7d 6d - 5c 5h 9s as 2c Razz (7-card Stud A-5 Low): 500000 sampled outcomescards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EVTs Tc 7d 6d 3h 173522 34.70 326478 65.30 0 0.00 0.347As 9s 5c 2c 5h 326478 65.30 173522 34.70 0 0.00 0.653

I never would have made the call that Daniel made, NOR would I have called the bet that El Matador did.I think they both played like Donkeys in this hand...hence the reason I am here typing this, and they are playing in the WSOP...lol

Lol, Daniel sometimes thinks he plays perfect poker all the time. Truth is, he doesnt.