Giving Advice To Friends

So, I was just watching my friend play a satellite to the 150 seat guaranteed on Stars. He got down close to the bubble and played absolutely horribly and got knocked out one short of the bubble.We've been playing together now for a couple years, and I know I understand satellite strategy a bit better than him. What's the best way to give advice? I dont want to come off as confrontational or be preachy, especially when he's upset about getting eliminated. Should I talk to him when he settles down a little bit about it?

Should I talk to him when he settles down a little bit about it?
Yes. At this point, he's upset because he probably feels as though he "played perfect poker" and deserved the win. If you come at him trying to give advice, he'll get not be happy at all.

i'd wait until he settled down a little and had time to think about the way he played... then point out some of his mis-steps and if he is smart he will listen and use them in the future

Funny, for three years now, my buddy and I almost constantly criticize eachother in poker immediately following any screw up, downswing, etc. Whoever is on the receiving end of the advice usually winds up punching the other in the throat.Then we get in the f.ucking Octagon.Let's get it on.

If you guys really do bounce poker strategy off of each other there is no need to wait for a cool down period. I have a few friends that I respect and we talk about strategy together, and I will cirticize and take criticism immediately. I always understand it's for the better of all of us at poker, so he won't take it too hard if he's serious about being the best player he can be.

Hoosier always tells me right away how much I suck.I try to defend it. (I pushed w/ 77 cause I figured he had AK)I'm always wrong though. (Doesn't mean you should race for the tournament! Moron!!)Then I realize it later once I stopped being pissed off. It's just hard to take critisizm directly after you bust out of something. You're already mad at the cards, the player who beat you, and yourself for being a donkey. Usually you want someone to tell you that you played well. So if they don't, you hate them too, lol.

Hoosier always tells me right away how much I suck.I try to defend it. (I pushed w/ 77 cause I figured he had AK)I'm always wrong though. (Doesn't mean you should race for the tournament! Moron!!)Then I realize it later once I stopped being pissed off. It's just hard to take critisizm directly after you bust out of something. You're already mad at the cards, the player who beat you, and yourself for being a donkey. Usually you want someone to tell you that you played well. So if they don't, you hate them too, lol.
LOL, hoosier always does the same to me. so does looshle come to think of it. Actually everybody tells me i suck. damn

if he's a bit of a hothead, allowing for a cooldown period is probably the right avenue. but if you normally offer advice as/right after you're playing, then stick with that plan. if he blows up at you, just apologize and try again later. no need to start fights between friends.

Tell him it's best that he didn't get a seat to the 150 guaranteed. If he can't win a lousy satalite, he would be wasting his time in the $350 tourney on Sunday. That should make him feel better.orBuy him a doughnut. Everyone loves doughnuts.