What Should My Bankroll Be?

I play almost all SnG's and Tournaments as far as online goes and was wondering what should my bankroll should be if I'm playing in $10+1 sng's? 20+2 sng's? thanks!

Well I've built up my BR to $540 from $100 by playing $5+.5 sng's and receiving $190 for a 3rd place finish in a pretty big $5 tourney. Is this enough to move up to the next level?

Well I've built up my BR to $540 from $100 by playing $5+.5 sng's and receiving $190 for a 3rd place finish in a pretty big $5 tourney. Is this enough to move up to the next level?
I'd say no, since half of what you have is from one ding.

your bankroll should be 10 million dollars.if your goal is to play $10 sng's your bankroll should be $10's.if you want to continue playing $10 sng's your bankroll should be more than $10.i will tell you that my bankroll is about 150bb (O8) which a lot of players on here might freak out about, but my goal is poker is not to make sure that people on forums agree with my every move.there is no answer excpet ten million dollars. if you can understand that then ten dollars should be enough.

It totally depends on your winrate.
explain?what if you lose a lot early on, but your true WR is ROI = 12%Variance also plays a part.And, whether you can ever replenish it.*************Navy, 150 is fine, like you say, who cares if I say it's fine; however, it also presumes you will be able to replenish it. Unless your variance and WR are very very abnormal.
explain?what if you lose a lot early on, but your true WR is ROI = 12%Variance also plays a part.And, whether you can ever replenish it.*************Navy, 150 is fine, like you say, who cares if I say it's fine; however, it also presumes you will be able to replenish it. Unless your variance and WR are very very abnormal.
my bankroll doesn't need replenishing (in all kindness, O8 has the least variance of any game that i know of [especially live] and if you played with the people in my 6/12 game you'd understand). also, should my bankroll fully deplete (which it has) i have the means to get it started again.my point was the OP should define his goals for himself. i see and hear a lot of people (i presume kids) who ask incredibly cut and dry questions to which there are no cut and dry answers. i.e. "if a guy raises from UTG should i just smooth call with jacks from the button or raise?" along this line, a lot of people ask, "what should my bankroll be?" since there is no answer, my goal is to help people come closer to an answer. and looking back over my first post i see that my concepts may be too obscure (even for my tastes). OP: you asked what your bankroll should be. if your goal is to make money you will never achieve it because you can never have enough (a curse to which we are all handcuffed, some tighter than others). thus, if this is your goal, on the belief that poker may someday make you rich, your bankroll should be infinity dollars (i chose 10 million because it is a concrete definition to an intangible hypothetical) because then you could never go broke which nearly no poker player is above doing.however, if your goal is to play a single 10 dollar sng then 10 dollars is all you need. (poker at its most pure IMO)if you think that there is a dollar/ratio amount which is somehow going to save you from going broke then you do not fully understand the game. my advice would be to not think of fixed numbers to represent impossibilities which they can not. take what others say in this thread and in that p5's article and try to apply them to you. but understand that if you played 100,000 sng's and in all of them you got all your money in and the guy only had one out going to the river (again, a tangible to represent a hypothetical). you would bust out about 2,200 times to one outers. what would happen if 1000 of those came within 1500 sngs? not only would your psyche be decimated (if you cannot comprehend that this will happen) but so would your bankroll most likely. basically its up to you.maybe this is just a long rambling post but i think some of the ideas come through.

Let me give a clear answer for a beginner. Yes, your BR's plenty high for $10 SnGs. Go ahead and play to your heart's content. You've also got enough to try a few $20 SnGs if you're think you're doing well with the $10 SnGs, but if you're looking to hold on to your BR, then you should probably wait to move up until you've been beating the $10 ones consistently over 100 tourneys or so.

With such a relativley small bankroll, it becomes less important to protect it. I'd play as high as you're comfortable playing, as long as you have 10-15 buy ins.

I think you must figure out whether or not you are going to reinvest in a bankroll if you do go broke. Most people dont want to, and if thats the case, you need to play well within your limits. That means if, just based on math and assuming you're a decent winning player, you can handle variance with going broke. Im guessing a big downswing in SNG play is busting out 10 times without moneying. Maybe someone else can give #s on how big of a downswing can occur for a decent player, because in Limit it often is 100BB.

• 2 years later...