They don't make them like him anymore. He did whatever was asked of him for the good of the team. Definately was deserving of having his Team Canada number retired.

Just finished watching the live Press Conference. Great guy, great player. He came into Detroit when I was 11. Been a fan ever since and I am proud to say that I have been able to watch him throughout his entire career. It will weird to see a Red Wings team without #19 on the ice. 23 years he has been out there. I remember so many great moments that I witnessed, like Cup wins, but I will forever remember Game 7 vs the Blues. Snuck into the game and by the second OT in the 0-0 game some seats opened up in the 10th row behind the net he scored the game winner on. Remember it like it was yesterday. He was a nice guy. Talked to him a few times as he did business at a place I used to work. Always nice, never arrogant. He will be missed.

One of the all time greats, but it was time for him to hang em up. He played the last 2 seasons of his career on a leg and a half, just don't think he could physically handle the haul of an 82 game season anymore.

Total class act to the city of Detroit, and to the game that he played at such a high level for so long.I'm glad he's retiring, because it was time. Too many athletes hang on way too long and end up tarnishing what they worked so many seasons for.

He was captain in Detroit for as long as I've been alive. Was born and raised in Detroit and I know that no player has ever loved a city so much and had the city love him back no matter how he played. He was like a member of everyone's family that couldnt make it to dinner, but you always remembered to pray for. I'm going to be there when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Whenever I think of the greatest hockey moments of my life, the double overtime goal in game 7 against St. Louis is the first thing that comes to mind. I still get chills everytime I see it. Thank you Stevie Y for being the classiest player ever to play in the NHL. Good luck with whatever job you'll have with the Wings now.

Scary that the Class for the Hall of Fame one year is going to include Robitaille Hull and Yzerman. Wow.
And Messier and Francis!