I have a picture of Layne Flack for my avatar, does that count? :club:
Well, it's better than the guys, who have other guys as their avatars, lol
Yeah whats up with wrto's picture. Seriously, the picture looks like a weird weird old man just took his senior picture. FREAKY!
that's sklansky

This is actually a very interesting question. I'm going to address it in a serious fashion, and I hope that those of you reading can get something positive out of this. Most people define a poker pro as someone who makes the majority of their income from playing and winning at poker. Here's the interesting part, there are plenty of PROS that are dead broke. Talent and money management are too VERY different things. A lot of these tournament poker stars that you see are being staked because they have severe leaks. Stu Ungar is a great example. He certainly was a pro, but he died completely broke. Does that mean that he wasn't a good poker player? No, that means that he had some nasty habits, and had poor self control. Ironically, this mentallity and style of play is often rewarded in tournament poker. If you have to ask why, or don't get it. Keep reading and studying, you will. There are plenty of broke pros that I feel are better players than winning grinders. They just lack self discipline. But, that too is part of poker. So as you can see, it's a bit of a catch 22.As for myself. If you've read any of my posts, including this one, it should be fairly obvious to you. "If you can't spot the sucker at the table in the first 30 minutes, then you're it". When you read these posts, you should be able to figure out who the pros are. Yes, they are few and far between. But, once you recognize them, it will improve your game, I guarentee it. Good Luck.

I'm a broke pro. I have played limits from 1-3 holdem up to 75 -150 holdem. I have played final tables in major tournaments( and If I have to I can prove it.) in 2002 I played against t.j cloutier in the wpf's at foxwoods at the 300 limit holdem final table. I came in 4th ina 1000 buy in limit holdem event that same year, also came 20th in a 1/2 hld 1/2 stud 300 buyin. have made final tables at the orleans, the 4 queens classic, and the new england poker championchips. I played in the 2002 10,ooo buy-in event at foxwoods and sat with dn. I can recall a hand he played against a certain player that was huge. if I have to I will tell it and maybe he will remember it. I'm only posting this cuz someone asked. I am broke by my own doing. for this year, ( I keep extensive records on pokercharts.com) I am winning 4,247in b/m poker. I am winning 759 online( sngs,mtt's only) and I am losing 835 in b/m mtt's. that has my br at 4171 right? wrong. I blow my poker winnings on sports wagering and the machines. it never fails. I've done it for years. I have had 25,000 brs and Ive destroyed it. I admit my major leaks and I try so hard, but I continue to punish myself. maybe someday I will snap out of it and concentrate solely on poker. :cry:
nice try, mr. "if you have 6 outs, and 5 cards to come, chances are 60% you'll hit one!"
I keep waiting to see paul phillips' post.
He has posted.FCP user namesPaul Phillips - extemporeJosh Arieh - jarieh3 (IIRC)Harry Demeitrou - sameJennifer Harmon - sameI also recall David Williams posting once on here, but I forget the name.
I'm a broke pro. I have played limits from 1-3 holdem  up to 75 -150 holdem. I have played final tables in major tournaments( and If I have to I can prove it.) in 2002 I played against t.j cloutier in the wpf's at foxwoods at the 300 limit holdem final table. I came in 4th ina 1000 buy in limit holdem event that same year, also came 20th in a 1/2 hld  1/2 stud 300 buyin. have made final tables at the orleans, the 4 queens classic, and the new england poker championchips. I played in the 2002 10,ooo buy-in event at foxwoods and sat with dn. I can recall a hand he played against a certain player that was huge. if I have to I will tell it and maybe he will remember it. I'm only posting this cuz someone asked. I am broke by my own doing. for this year, ( I keep extensive records on pokercharts.com) I am winning 4,247in b/m poker. I am winning 759 online( sngs,mtt's only) and I am losing 835 in b/m mtt's. that has my br at 4171 right? wrong. I blow my poker winnings on sports wagering and the machines. it never fails. I've done it for years. I have had 25,000 brs and Ive destroyed it. I admit my major leaks and I try so hard, but I continue to punish myself. maybe someday I will snap out of it and concentrate solely on poker. :cry:
nice try, mr. "if you have 6 outs, and 5 cards to come, chances are 60% you'll hit one!"
thats not what i meant but good ivestigating :!:

what i meant was hands like AK against 99. you have 6 outs with 5 cards to come. do the math like I said than subtract a little for the times the 9 hits the flop and you get roughly 53 47 in favor of 99.you can multiply your outs by the cards to come than double that number and its roughlyy correct.keep up your investigations mr. justblaze though. good job. now off to your 2cent 4 cent game :wink:

I used to be a really well known pro. I won the 1939 WSOP main event in Berlin, playing Adolph Brunsonheimen headsup at the final table. Won a grand prize of $22.74, which was quite a bit of change in those days.
Good god, where did you go back and find this topic? Geez... were you that bored?
I'm pretty sure Arieh's name was "josharieh" no caps or spaces.
Pretty sure you're right. Also, Harry's name was WiseOwl.
it was for a little bit, and then it changed to HarryDemitriu(I think I butchered his last name). He started posting when the mob tried going after Josh Arieh over the AJ incident from the WSOP. I think it'd be cool if they posted a bit more, but its all good as they have busy lives. Chris Bigler has two names. One is his name and the other is, well I don't know. I know this from having to put my foot in my mouth when I kept raggin on his conservative style of play. I just feel it doesn't neccessarily make it the most fun style to watch on TV, but I never said you weren't a good player Chris(if you are reading this) :-)
  • 3 years later...
I used to be a really well known pro. I won the 1939 WSOP main event in Berlin, playing Adolph Brunsonheimen headsup at the final table. Won a grand prize of $22.74, which was quite a bit of change in those days.You're officially being flamed for bringing up such an old topic. Not cause it bothers me, just wondering why you were skimming through december posts.
Irony
I used to be a really well known pro. I won the 1939 WSOP main event in Berlin, playing Adolph Brunsonheimen headsup at the final table. Won a grand prize of $22.74, which was quite a bit of change in those days.You're officially being flamed for bringing up such an old topic. Not cause it bothers me, just wondering why you were skimming through december posts.
OMG cry me a river.Mark

I can't believe this came from Kurt lol wow what a difference a few years make. Must of been drunk or something