Celebrity Poker Showdown

How do we feel about Hellmuth as host of CPS? I don't think him and Foley have any real chemisty or connection on the show. Phil seems like he wants to say alot more technical stuff, but he knows he probably has to dumb it down for the viewers, so it looks like he's coming across as a little egotistical. Seems like Phil G was more relaxed and funny behind the desk, and the man was a freakin human calculator, something Hellmuth takes general guesses at, which are usually in the ballpark anyways, so at least he's trying.They always seem to find a way to mention his 9 WSOP braclets almost every show, though. :club:

How do we feel about Hellmuth as host of CPS? I don't think him and Foley have any real chemisty or connection on the show. Phil seems like he wants to say alot more technical stuff, but he knows he probably has to dumb it down for the viewers, so it looks like he's coming across as a little egotistical. Seems like Phil G was more relaxed and funny behind the desk, and the man was a freakin human calculator, something Hellmuth takes general guesses at, which are usually in the ballpark anyways, so at least he's trying.They always seem to find a way to mention his 9 WSOP braclets almost every show, though. :club:
Yeah, Hellmuth isnt as good as Gordon, does anyone know y Gordon left.

the shows terrible isnt that enough for you not to watch...If I see one more D-list Celeb. Go all in and do a dance before their called. The shows horrible.

I think Hellmuth is terrible. He is only there to congratulate himself on what a great player he is.
by the way horrible puncuation on my part..my bad.
I think Hellmuth is terrible. He is only there to congratulate himself on what a great player he is.
well if you think about there isn't really any other entertainment on CPS besides Hellmuth doing that

I think the worst thing so far this season is that Hellmuth isn't even being Hellmuth...in other words, if he's doing color commentary on games with mostly clueless D list celebrities, why isn't he being at all obnoxious or condescending? I expected him to be much more caustic in the booth. If they wanted some nice guy/yes man, there were plenty of other ways to go.

I actually prefer Hellmuth. The show really sucks but I love how he always seems to have his head turned sideways with a goofy smile whenever the camera cuts to him (like below, except usually more turned... haha). Gordon might be a human calculator, but the fact is... he's not very good at poker compared to most of the big name pros. I have Gordon's "Poker: The Real Deal" calendar. It says the same 15 or so tips for 365 days. And most of the tips aren't helpful at all.hosts_hellmuth_pic.jpg

I only watched the first episode with Hellmuth (after not watching the show for years) and I thought, Hellmuth wasn't doing too badly.I liked Phil Gordon, but really, what did he ever do or say except laugh at Foleys jokes?If anything kills the show, it's the lack of real "celebrities". The show is just stupid, when there is noone at the table you have ever heard of - you could just watch a playmoney stt on pokerstars instead.

Jennifer Tilly had an interesting article in Bluff (I think) about her pretty negative experience on CPS. Look it up if you get a chance.

as a casual viewer in the past (now it's on same time as WPT, so I watch neither), it seems the blinds structure was pretty cool. Much better than Poker Superstars. It's like no show can get all the elements right. And we get 2 hours of CPS, so it's not just the all in handsgenerally, that's the biggest problem with Poker on TV.It's like watching SportsCenter. No low points to make the highlights..err.. highlights. The live events, such as Fulltilt are best for real poker enthusiastsHSP is good too; but obviously there are lots of hands with little action as well.

Has DN ever posted his feelings about Phil co-hosting the show? DN was known to have wanted the co-hosting gig, but found out about it too late to do anything about it. I think he would've done an excellent job as commentator-- they always replay the poker tournament where he did commentary on one episode where I live and he was more interesting than any person other i've heard.

I think the worst thing so far this season is that Hellmuth isn't even being Hellmuth...in other words, if he's doing color commentary on games with mostly clueless D list celebrities, why isn't he being at all obnoxious or condescending? I expected him to be much more caustic in the booth. If they wanted some nice guy/yes man, there were plenty of other ways to go.
You know, you're right about that. I think Phil is doing a terrible job. He just looks goofy and robotic all the time. But, if he was just being Phil -- the berating a**hole that we have all come to love to hate -- at least it would be intertaining. I'd like to see him tell one of them as they enter the loser's lounge that they "can't even spell poker!" Of course after that first season, they'd have a hell of a time getting celebs to be on the show. :club:
Jennifer Tilly had an interesting article in Bluff (I think) about her pretty negative experience on CPS. Look it up if you get a chance.
No no no, that's not how the internet works. You need to provide a link!