Correcting Body Language

my body language isnt good.i think this prevents me from being a really good player.i basically do get nervous when i bluff. i have the heart to do it, and can make the reads to know when to do it.. but when i do it, i know im visibly nervous.ive never heard of this topic discussed, but i think its really important.even in mike caro he doesnt discuss YOUR OWN body language.anyone got any thoughts, been in the same situation, or fixed the problem?obviously it would be great to be like sammy farha etc and show nothing, do you think these pros used to be visibly nervous and ammended their tells?you think they ever even got nervous?

my body language isnt good.i think this prevents me from being a really good player.i basically do get nervous when i bluff. i have the heart to do it, and can make the reads to know when to do it.. but when i do it, i know im visibly nervous.ive never heard of this topic discussed, but i think its really important.even in mike caro he doesnt discuss YOUR OWN body language.anyone got any thoughts, been in the same situation, or fixed the problem?obviously it would be great to be like sammy farha etc and show nothing, do you think these pros used to be visibly nervous and ammended their tells?you think they ever even got nervous?
Not making a joke but, what about alcohol? In moderation obviously. Just to calm those nerves a lil bit.

One way is to learn to lie to yourself. When you have no hand, pretend you have the monster, when you have the monster, pretend you have crap.I've been watching Ferguson, the man is amazing when it comes to his body language. He leans over when he sits down, cups one hand in the other and tilts his head down, and stays like that for the rest of the game except to slide his chips in with exactly the same motion every time. I'm sure the hand holding is a good technique to disguise shakey hands.]I wouln't wan't to play like that, but, it works for him.

Try giving yourself a routine for each action. If you make it really scripted as far as what you do physically when it's your turn to act, every move should start feel connected to every other move, if that makse sense.

There are several ways to use this to your advantage or fix it...1. You can act fidgety and nervous all of the time no matter what hand you have, this way nobody knows when you're bluffing. (this is actually how I first started out playing live, I'd be nervous and excited and smile a lot and my hands would shake, even when I wasn't in a pot)2. You could purposely act nervous the next time you have the nuts. This would throw everyone off as they would think you're bluffing.3. It sounds to me like you play pretty seriously and try to have a calm/serious poker face during all your other hands. I'd suggest to try and look like you're having fun all of the time and not nervous at all. This is sort of how Daniel plays, which is why I'm a fan of him. He has an easygoing personality at the table and he always behaves the same way during any hand. He seems like a fun guy to play with and even lose to, and it's the kind of personality you should probably aim to emulate.

If you don't have any serious heart conditions or anything like that, ask your physician about a topical drug that slows your heart rate enough to "kill" your nerves a little bit. My doctor once prescribed them to me to help calm me before big auditions. They were a great help until I got over the nerves.Unfortunately, I can't quite remember the name of the drug. Florazi-something, maybe.It sounds a little extreme, but if it's imperative that you quash those jitters, it might be worth a shot.EDIT: It's also definitely not a long-term solution. Just thought I'd toss that in, also.

The best way to fight this is to wear the same clothes and use the same actions as Phil Ivey just like those on his Full Tilt commercial. Lol, seriously though, this is an interesting thread and I have the same problem so thanks for bringing it up.

alcohol is actually useful, but its a crutch.i always seem to win when im drunk, but at the end of the day, i am drunk.and thats at a card club at night. i dont want to be off my face at 10am in a wsop event.i am actually getting a lot better at it. espescially, i am finding that the more money i win, the less it seems to matter. therefore i can bluff calmly because if they call its not the end of the world.its annoying that you cant be like ferguson, and i agree his body language is great.i really noticed it when he was playing in the hu nbc events.i also agree that negreanu's body language is very good. although when i watch high stakes on gsn, it seems that all the pro's give LOADS of information away about there hands. inc daniel.the main thing they do, and this seems to happen with people in my home game, is talk about what they think there opponent has.so on an 8 high board, theyll discuss whether they think there opponent has "what can you have? an A8 maybe".this basically announces that you cant beat A8. they do this so much its reasonably shocking.daniel alaie's body language is great. i guess it just comes down to whether you want to be stoic or lively.i really wouldnt want to be like ferguson all day. i think im going to have to solve the nervousness, rather than try and hide it.thanks for the pointers, any more thoughts welcome!EDIT... dont think id do the drug thing. interesting idea though

I have found experience is the only thing that is going to make you comfortable at the table.There are a number of articles on the internet about it, I wouldn't recommend using a crutch like pills or alcohol as the "feeling" will still be there when it wears off.I think Caro expects you to apply the tells to your own actions as well as what you are seeing in others, do a seach on reverse tells and you should find some good information there.I find the first few rounds my hands are always jittery, esp right after I pick up my first big pot. It's because the big adrenelin rush you get from being in competition, etc. It's the same reason when a guys hands are shaking you can tell he just picked up a monster.I usually just try to shuffle some chips, think about getting my heart rate back under control, and relaxing.It happens to everybody, even the pros had to learn to turn it off. It's a natural reaction to the situation and one of the reasons I love to go play live!