Are you people koo-koo for real? I came second in the TOC after a grueling back to back days of poker that didn't allow me to play in the first event. In the second event, I went broke with 7-7 against J-J in a tournament that gives you precisely one shot at doubling up or going broke. I don't cash in one tournament and already we've got people talking about me 'not trying." Get it fixed y'all!
I didnt realize you still posted here :club:
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sleep, and develop strategies on how to win the next stage. thats how they win. they don;t play golf in between.
POker is NOT a sport all it takes is mental discipline and sometimes not even that. Wasn't Sut Unger coked out of his mind half the time he was playing. Maybe not don't quote me but serioulsy what are you saying...he needs to go home and sleep and start developing new strategies. I don't know about you but a lot of business people do business on the golf course. The reason cause it is a slow game and it gives you time to think. Geez seriously stop hatin cause he doesn't think the way you do. **** if i was in his position i would be doing the same thing. Poker + Golf = +EV IMO

I just find it funny that everyone thinks that Daniel MUST play poker. He's not obligated to anyone (AFAIK) to play another hand of poker in his life.Why's everyone questioning this? If Daniel wants to play golf to relax and prepare, more power to him. If I made a ton of money from playing poker for a few years and it provided me luxuries for years to come, I might play less too.

sleep, and develop strategies on how to win the next stage. thats how they win. they don;t play golf in between.
You know this because you have made millions playing poker or have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Let me know which one it is.
That is an interesting point you made there that I bolded. Ummm, so you and your butt buddies were huge fans of Daniel UNTIL he started playing golf and exited early out of 1 $1500 WSOP event? Wow, that's just as pathetic as the people you are claiming to be blind followers. I think you don't get a grasp on something and hopefully I can get you to understand this, we are not blind followers, we just don't let his life effect our life. Daniel is a human being. YEs, I am a fan of his. But I won't whine and cry when he goes out like he did yesterday. I won't question what he decides to do any given moment of the day, or question how he prepares for a tourney. Free will, son. Who the **** are you to come in here and dictate how YOU fell HE should prepare. And your sports analogies are null and void since a 3 day poker event is different than a 2 and half hour hockey game kiddo.You can express your opinions all you want but don't be such a chode about it. Makes you look moronic.
I love how you need to make homosexual and belittling remarks in order to support your thinly thought out point. In no way whatsoever am i "dictating", just mere suggestions as to what is considered normal prep. And DN was my favorite player for the fact that he was canadian and did so well in 04, along with seeming to be a genuine nice person, and obv he is still all those things. However, what has disappointed me about him has mainly been his business ventures (stacked, the dvd, etc...) and his 05 wsop performance. If you feel the need to rip on me because you genuinely feel angered b/c i expressed my opinions, then i truly feel sorry for you, and I suggest you express your opinions, specifically regarding other people, in a more appropriate way if you ever expect people to take you seriously and respect what you have to say.
I love how you need to make homosexual and belittling remarks in order to support your thinly thought out point. In no way whatsoever am i "dictating", just mere suggestions as to what is considered normal prep. And DN was my favorite player for the fact that he was canadian and did so well in 04, along with seeming to be a genuine nice person, and obv he is still all those things. However, what has disappointed me about him has mainly been his business ventures (stacked, the dvd, etc...) and his 05 wsop performance. If you feel the need to rip on me because you genuinely feel angered b/c i expressed my opinions, then i truly feel sorry for you, and I suggest you express your opinions, specifically regarding other people, in a more appropriate way if you ever expect people to take you seriously and respect what you have to say.
Oh, I didn't know I actually cared whether you respect me or my opinions. I don't worry about such things on an internet message board. You should follow some of your own advice actually. It is good advice. I knew this was the post that was coming up. That is why I threw those little jabs in there. I'm not angry, just killing time at work. Internet =/= Serious Business. Once you learn that your panties won't get so bunched up.

Man, some of the people in this thread are creepy. DN is a big boy, potty trained and all and as far as he's come in poker, I'm fairly certain he knows how to manage his time/poker. Some people have a bad case of rail bird syndrome.

Do hockey players play 14 hour Stanley Cup games?Do baseball players play 14 hour World Series games?Is poker a sport?The answer to all three of those is no. Nice try with the sports analogies that don't work.Sitting in a chair for 12 hours while getting a massage and eating a sandwich is hardly equal to playing baseball or, even more so, hockey.If you guys watch DN"s most recent video blog he basically says that if he gets a hand thats raceable he is pushing. He wants to be a big stack in these tournies or on the course. If he thought 77 was up against overs then he definitely saw the race. And since he plays Barry often, I would put money that he thought he had a good read.

do you see hockey players playing golf before the cup finals?ball players playing shinny before the world series?no, you don't. Because that is not how professionals prepare for the major events in their sports my friend. Not ever. What I suggested is not an anomoly, is the precedent that has already been set in professional sport. Instead of blinding following daniel, ever think he could be wrong? Develop some independant thought for god's sake and stop being a sheep. Daniel may feel that his way to prepare is correct, and he may be right, but I am allowed to express an alternate opinion based up the strategies of other professionals in their respective games, stop immediately belittling others' opinions simply because you feel that DN's words are gold.
Your arguement is very thin IMO. Perhaps you and your friends wouldn't prepare for poker tournaments or a big sporting event by golfing but that doesn't dictate routines that everyone follows. Would it be better if he went home after busting and layed on the couch stairing at the cieling until the next event? He's clearing his mind between tournies and I personally think thats a healthy approach. As for other pro atheletes not behaving like this before big events that is a blanket statement that certainly doesn't cover everyone. I actually just finished rereading a book on The Bulls first championship where they talk about how through out the entire finals Jordan stayed up almost every night playing poker and would try to squeeze in a game of golf between practice and game time. Out of curiousity how are you preparing for all of your WSOP events this year?
Out of curiousity how are you preparing for all of your WSOP events this year?
reading poker books and keeping up to date on how others are doing in the series. I don't plan on playing any golf.
reading poker books and keeping up to date on how others are doing in the series. I don't plan on playing any golf.
So that means you are going to be the big WINNAR. Good luck. Post your real name and what events you are playing so we can all rail you on pokerwire/cardplayer.
I hope you jerkoffs who got Daniel pissed off by saying he doesn't care about poker when hes clearly stated many times that poker is very important to him burn in hell.
I don't think he was that pissed off. More like humored.

lol I give up, ill post about this in a month when daniel has another crappy series. I honestly hope he doesn't, and I hope he builds on the TOC showing in the regular events, hopefully you can all post about how he won 4 bracelets by preparing playing golf, and I'd be very happy that I was wrong. We'll see.

You know I suspect that reading poker books is about the worst thing you can do during the WSOP. Kind of like a golfer messing with his swing going into the final day of the Masters. You have 11 months to prepare and 1 month to play YOUR game. I wouldn't want to mess it up with new/foreign ideas at that point. But I guess that's something I can worry about when I'm a seasoned pro playing in all the WSOP events.

lol I give up, ill post about this in a month when daniel has another crappy series. I honestly hope he doesn't, and I hope he builds on the TOC showing in the regular events, hopefully you can all post about how he won 4 bracelets by preparing playing golf, and I'd be very happy that I was wrong. We'll see.
2nd in the TOC for over 300 grand against some of the best players in the worldYes, golf is REEEEEEEEEEEALLY hurting his game.STFU

Hey Crazy- Many Baseball pitchers spend their time between starts playing golf. Many Ballplayers play poker in their down time. DN does not need to develop new strategies or read books to prepare. He has years of expierence and is unlikely to need to reformulate a gameplan now. If you look back at DN's success he does better with tournaments with more post flop play, deep stacks or rebuy tournaments. The reason is the short stack tournaments require a lot more luck. Do you play online MTT's at all? If so, then you know that with $1500 in chips and a fast structure you need to gamble a couple of times to get chips. DN took a shot, and it didn't work. That's poker.Chris Fergueson (who you probably think is a bad player too) has stated that he will race any time he is a 51% favorite in any tournament. DN thought he was a favorite against Greenstein in that hand, and with the addition of some dead money (from the blinds) he made a move based on his reads. He was wrong this time, but it is not a mistake in the sense that you think it is. BTW, this series is already profitable for DN, so it is already a moderate success. And as much as you want to cap on him for last year, he made money in tournament poker last year too.

Gotta leave work but I wanted to post this before I left...I can't quite figure out what your motive here is. You say you "were" a fan and obviously no longer. So my question to you, were you posting this topic to be a troll or looking for a serious discussion. The more you post the more you sound like a troll and well, let's remember what you told me about getting respect.I can't see players like Ivey, DN, Dolye, and other top pros spending their downtime between events reading books. These people write the books, not read the books. You are in a different league whether you like it or not. Brendan Shanahan of the Red Wings goes to movies between playoff games. Why? To stay fresh, not be bogged down with the thought of each game. You do that you go crazy. Your mind needs a break to be sharp. And for Daniel, he believes that playing golf takes his mind of the game and when it is time to play he is hopefully going to be focused. You can't be so naive and believe that DN going all in with 77 in a $1500 tourney (which you keep skirting the point of how those tourneys go) was a direct result of golf? If you do, then you will never ever get it. Have a good weekend, holiday, and if you are playing in an event, good luck. Seriously.
So, the fact that he's already finished second in the TOC and is currently 3 in chips in the shorthanded event means what?js.
I'm guessing that playing golf instead of reading "play poker like the pros" has somehow manged to work for DN after all.
Are you people koo-koo for real? I came second in the TOC after a grueling back to back days of poker that didn't allow me to play in the first event. In the second event, I went broke with 7-7 against J-J in a tournament that gives you precisely one shot at doubling up or going broke. I don't cash in one tournament and already we've got people talking about me 'not trying." Get it fixed y'all!
That was funny but Daniel really didn't need to say it, most of us know that this is the norm for troll haven clueless general.
Wanna make out? let's cyber! You need a hug.